Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #682

Subject: "summer camp" Previous topic | Next topic
lisaWed Jan-24-07 10:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"summer camp"

Hello. I am interested in doing a small summer camp in my neighborhood for a limited number of children - just to get things started. I plan to build a curriculum and then market to the people I know - again just to get things started. That is about as far as I have gotten. I have a theme and content will not be a problem.

So, I am curious to see if anyone has experience with this. What do I need to know. I know insurance will be an issue I need to look into and a suitable location - I plan to rent space.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks for advice in advance!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: summer camp
Feb 02nd 2007
RE: summer camp
Feb 20th 2007

1kellikwFri Feb-02-07 01:02 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: summer camp"
In response to Reply # 0

I love the idea of kids camp...have often thought of it myself. I am a homeschooling mother of 2 (K & 1st) and last year they attended a weeklong camp for $75/1st child, $50/each addl child. An itinery was created so that parents knew what the kids would be doing all day (it was 10am-3pm or 4pm. Lunch was to be brought by the children. Snacks provided by the director. It was held in a room of a homeschool retail store (so obviously there was already insurance) and directed by a lady involved with a co-op. There was no theme to this weeklong camp. I think if you want to take it step farther as I had wanted...create a theme week for multiple summer camps and even throughout the school year for homeschoolers looking for enrichment classes. Themes such as Egypt, Planets, Arts/Crafts, any Science, Pioneer days with volunteers to show the kids how to make soap or blacksmithing...I have tons of ideas, just scared to do it! I'm a bookkeeper responsible for company finances and I'm scared to do camp...go figure. Email me if you want to discuss ideas. What city are you in?

Kelli D. Weikel
Your Business Assistant

lisaTue Feb-20-07 10:16 AM

#2. "RE: summer camp"
In response to Reply # 1

Wow! It does sound like you have thought about this. Thank you for your insight. I live outside of Philadelphia. I really want to do something small this summer. Maybe just a one-week pilot to get my courage. Just like you, I'm a little nervous about getting started. But I think this is the way to go for me. If you have any other words of wisdom, I'd love to talk. I didn't catch your email but mine is lisadu@netzero.com.

All feedback, ideas and encouragment are welcome!!! thanks.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #682 Previous topic | Next topic