Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #567

Subject: "Baking and Cafe Business....Next Level" Previous topic | Next topic
CilantrochefMon Jan-01-07 09:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Baking and Cafe Business....Next Level"

Good day all. Im looking for a little help. I currently run a small (and I mean small) baking business which operates from June -Dec. We sell our products at local farmers markets and do gift baskets and boxes for the Thanksgiving and Christmas Season. People enjoy our products but after the market we tend to fade from view. We do home-style baking (or comfort foods) We make a line of cookies(your usual suspects and classic favorites (oatmeal chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin, gingersnap, and a few others that put a twist on classic favorites) We make quick breads, muffins, biscuts, focaccia breads, pies, cobblers, and granola. What we are looking for is a way to let this business thrive through out the year.

We don't have a permenant cooking space and that too is another reason for lack of full time baking. Our long term goal is to open a vegetarian friendly cafe and bakery, which would be more of a community based effort. We would like to support local small business owners (grassroots businesses) who are in similar situations like myself. I call it a co-op but Im not sure if that is the correct term. We would like the entire store to be fore sale. Local artisans could showcase their works and local farmers and gourmet food producers (ie. jams jellies, spreads and the like) could be sold and used in our products as well. E.G that is where the community cafe aspect comes into play.

Our goal is to appeal to the local resident and let them become familiar with the products found in their own backyard as well as helping out the little guy in the process. The problem? Following through on our short term goal of making our baked goods a household name throughout the year. How can we get commercial space? Who should we approach about subletting space? Our website www.happycookingonline.com is up and running, but should be advertise via google to get more business? What we need is a little help in taking it to the next level. What steps to take. We have a focus on the end goal, its just getting there has been a bit of a bumpy road. Any ideas?

Glory lies in the attempt to reach ones goal and not in reaching it

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

lisasgourmetTue Jan-02-07 04:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Baking and Cafe Business....Next Level"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello!

Talk to your local Small Business Development Center. They may have a division that helps/supports businesses. They may even have a line on open spaces for you to move into. Also, walk the beat. Check out the neighborhood you'd like to be in, look for "For Rent" signs.

My SBDC has been instrumental in helping me locate the "perfect" spot!

Good Luck!

Lisa

http://www.allthingscheesecake.com

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #567 Previous topic | Next topic