Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #5088

Subject: "Hot dog stand in college area. Good idea?" Previous topic | Next topic
chadhallbergMon Jun-30-14 04:19 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Hot dog stand in college area. Good idea?"

I have a friend who started a hot dog stand in his college town right next to campus with high quality ingredients and few menu items (dogs & brats w/chips and a soda). He's made a killing with super high margins (~50%) and grown into 3 storefronts.

I want to do something very similar with the idea of naming my stand based on the college town I live in and with a global domination idea of having other hot dog stands in other college towns named after that college (franchises potentially?).

Thoughts?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Hot dog stand in college area. Good idea?
Jan 13th 2014
Jul 04th 2014
Aug 11th 2014
Aug 18th 2014
Aug 18th 2014
If you build it, they will come
Nov 03rd 2014

achievedisplayMon Jan-13-14 01:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Hot dog stand in college area. Good idea?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,
It might help to sit down and write a business plan. A great location will often cost money, not to mention licensing fees / profit sharing depending on the college. Initial outlay for a decent cart is $3-6K. Owner operator model is good as it is difficult to keep track of reliable sales numbers. I would run one for a year. In that time, I would probably contact a cart manufacturer about some kind of discount deal. The variety of local health regs are a headache. California's requirements are different than Alabama, etc. Good Luck

Joe
Achieve Display
http://www.achievedisplay.com
Retail Store Fixtures
Food Service Equipment

TerryhopperFri Jul-04-14 01:01 AM

#3. "RE: Hot dog stand in college area. Good idea?"
In response to Reply # 1

I think it is good idea.

lidea08Mon Aug-11-14 05:52 PM

#4. "RE: Hot dog stand in college area. Good idea?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think that is a great idea. My friend and I would cook hotdogs at night and pack them in a cooler and go from door to door in the dorm and we would sell out every night. Go for it, I love the idea, you will make a killing during football season. Good Luck!

phanioMon Aug-18-14 07:41 AM

#5. "RE: Hot dog stand in college area. Good idea?"
In response to Reply # 0

You just have to test your market. As the other poster suggests, pre-cook some and get out on the street and try to sell them. Talk to the people you are selling to or not selling to and see if they would be open to a full-time stand - also ask them what they would pay for - then judge your demand - called doing a feasibility study.

Capital LookUp - www.CapitalLookUp.com -
Business Information At Your Finger Tips!

TerryhopperMon Aug-18-14 10:00 PM

#6. "RE: Hot dog stand in college area. Good idea?"
In response to Reply # 5

Yes you are right.

Business Hunters™

SELL YOUR BUSINESS
Business hunters is a boutique M&A firm focused on selling private businesses for its maximum value through our unique Value Maximiser Exit Plan™.

http://www.businesshunters.

David@ZeroZenMon Nov-03-14 01:57 PM

#7. "If you build it, they will come"
In response to Reply # 0

Great idea.

I would start by either buying a used cart, or if you are creative and have a Northern tool or something like that around you, build the cart yourself. A little creativity and you can create a cart for under $1000.

If you live close to the school and like riding your bike, hook it to the bike and you have no added gas cost.

There is a guy in town near us that sells coffee by the park downtown. I sat there one day and watched him pull in about $120 in an hour.

One thing you could do for customer retention is build in some sort of frequent flyer card. Anything you can do to get people back in front of you is key.

Now get out there - there is money to be made!

David Bentley
Founder @ http://zerozendesign.com
Founder @ BYOB
Entrepreneur & Growth Hacker

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #5088 Previous topic | Next topic