Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #5028

Subject: "is it played out?" Previous topic | Next topic
ThetzlerSun Sep-15-13 02:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"is it played out?"

Hello,

I am looking to start a used book/coffee shop but everyone seems to think it is played out. That no one what to go to a book store anymore.

I have some ideas that I want to do with the shop. I will have read out louds for kids, beer/wine tastings, local author signings, coffee and little food.

I just want to see what other people thought. I am starting to feel its not a good idea. I dont wanna waste my time or money if this will not work.

I love books and coffee so this is something that I would love to do. Its not about becoming a millionaire but to be around something I love and have a passion for. I would not mind making a little money also.

What does everyone think?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

lariSun Sep-15-13 10:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: is it played out?"
In response to Reply # 0

I love books, and most of mine are bought used. There are times it would be nice to share what I have read, but no where to do it.
If you would consider including info on the on line books and how and what they are it would involve the younger crowd. There is still a place for books, old and new, electronic or paper.
With books you can learn about anything and can go anywhere, dream anything. I was taught books are the windows to all worlds and all dreams. We have a used book store in my area that offers 2 for 1 on returns. They have been around a long time so it must pay its way.
It will never be played out.
Depending on your area and the laws governing businesses, I would start very small in your garage or I have seen small businesses start out of storage areas and move up. Put a couple of old chairs and a coffee pot out and your neighbors come and they spread the word.
Time is your biggest problem, time to actually show a profit, time for family life, time to just go, time, time, time.
Money is slow to come and slower still to be profit. The ones that succeed are the ones that can manage time, money and just life without throwing in the towel.
If you keep careful records they will tell you if it is worth your effort. But in the meantime you will meet many amazing people.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #5028 Previous topic | Next topic