Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #496

Subject: "should I close or stay open?" Previous topic | Next topic
darlaThu Dec-14-06 08:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"should I close or stay open?"

Hello everyone
I hope someone can give me so great advice. I just opened a dog day care center 2 moths ago. Things are going rather slow. My monday and Tuesdays I never have any dogs. My idea to bring in some more money was to get a part time serving job, and close on mondays and tuesday. My family thinks I am giving up. I dont see it that way I think I need to do what it takes to bring money in so I can keep my buisness open. My family said I should be there no matter if I have 10 dogs or 0. Please let me know what you guys think I should do.
Thanks you all
Jacque

Follow your heart

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: should I close or stay open?
Dec 14th 2006
Dec 15th 2006
Dec 16th 2006
Dec 15th 2006
Dec 15th 2006
Dec 15th 2006
Dec 16th 2006
Dec 17th 2006

NancyThu Dec-14-06 05:19 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: should I close or stay open?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Dec-14-06 05:20 PM by Nancy

Hi, Jacque.

At two months, your business is just getting started. I would strongly suggest you stay with your current business hours.

If Mondays and Tuesdays continue to be slow, look at offering incentives for customers on those days.

For now, take those slow times you're experiencing to plan marketing and advertising efforts to grow your business.

For the customers you already have, hand out pens imprinted with your business name and phone number (plus a description if your business name isn't self-explanatory). Ask them to tell others about your business.

Nancy
www.CreateYourMarket.com
Cheap Advertising Ideas

darlaFri Dec-15-06 08:43 AM

#4. "RE: should I close or stay open?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you for your advice
Do you think it would be a bad idea to close monday and have mondays be my day i pass out flyer and buisness card and meet new people and stay open on tuesdays. I dont know I guess I am getting to worried to soon. thanks again and have a wonderful holiday.
Jacque

Follow your heart

NancySat Dec-16-06 07:04 PM

#7. "RE: should I close or stay open?"
In response to Reply # 4

>Do you think it would be a bad idea to close monday and have
>mondays be my day i pass out flyer and buisness card and meet
>new people and stay open on tuesdays. I dont know I guess I
>am getting to worried to soon. thanks again and have a
>wonderful holiday.
>Jacque

Even just two months into your business, it sounds as if you have enough customers to keep you busy more days than not. That's great. Just keep building.

Getting involved with your community and talking up your business at every opportunity is important. As challenging as it might be, try to make time for that without closing your business. If you have irregular hours, that can be hard to remember for potential customers, and your current ones as well.

Nancy
Cheap Advertising Ideas
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com

Brian_VaFri Dec-15-06 12:22 AM

#2. "RE: should I close or stay open?"
In response to Reply # 0

My question is why are Mondays and Tuesdays slow and what would counter that?

Secondly I take my son to a hobby/train shop in a town near us, the shop owner keeps a ridiculous schedule, once we went down there and it was close on a weekday because it was mothers day(sign on the door)! We were side by side by side with other people wondering what the hell? Then he was closed on Mondays, now it's Sundays, and now it's F him! Now I take my kid 15 miles more out of the way to a different shop.

Stay the course is my advise as a consumer.

darlaFri Dec-15-06 08:36 AM

#3. "RE: should I close or stay open?"
In response to Reply # 2

Thank you very much for your advice,that is a good point. I dont know how many people i might be loosing by not being there. Thank you again and have a wonderful holiday.
Jacque

Follow your heart

bizdevFri Dec-15-06 11:39 AM

#5. "RE: should I close or stay open?"
In response to Reply # 3

Darla, is there any way you can have someone cover the shop on those two days while you get a p/t job to bring in some income? A family member perhaps that you wouldn't need to pay much? I often advise people to keep their "day" jobs while their new business is getting off the ground. Of course that advice doesn't work for every business, but if it's a viable option you might consider it.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

darlaSat Dec-16-06 04:58 AM

#6. "RE: should I close or stay open?"
In response to Reply # 5

Do you think it would be ok to close even if I have no one there to keep the store open? I am really not sure what is the best for everyone. Thanks for the help.
Jacque

Follow your heart

bizdevSun Dec-17-06 12:11 PM

#8. "RE: should I close or stay open?"
In response to Reply # 6

Since your business is still fairly new why not just set your days that you are closed as Mondays and Tuesdays (if those are the days you want to work another job). Post your days/hours on your door as a normal, regular schedule. Your customers will learn your hours. Sure you may get a few disgruntled or confused people at first...but you gotta do what you gotta do to keep your business going. If it means getting a part time job two days a week, then you should do that. As business picks up and you can quit the p/t job you can change the days to include Mondays and Tuesdays again.

It's not an ideal solution, but you need to be able to pay your personal expenses while building your business.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #496 Previous topic | Next topic