Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4884

Subject: "Funding my business." Previous topic | Next topic
KTGELETECSun Aug-12-12 08:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Funding my business."

I am currently earning a Industrial electronic degree(one year to graduation) I plan on opening my own business that offers electronic repair to commercial and Industrial businesses,just soon as I graduate.I have almost 0 money with fair credit,so will need loans to buy service trucks, equipment,tools,a shop,and hire 8-11 employees to start.

My question is, should I also get a general business degree to better my chances of a loan?I know I can get my credit up to good in a year.I will need 100-150k loan.

Servant of the great I Am!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Funding my business.
Jul 15th 2012
RE: Funding my business.
Jul 16th 2012

Stpso2111Sun Jul-15-12 06:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Funding my business."
In response to Reply # 0

I applaud your enthusiasm. However, I think it is premature to think that you are going to need 8-11 employees to start, with all of the related expenses that goes with having employees. Unless you are planning on buying an existing business, there is surely going to be a period when you have no business coming in.

If that is your goal, then I would suggest you are going to need a lot more cash than $150K. That wouldn't cover 8 or 10 vehicles, plus vehicle insurance, maintenance, fuel, workman's comp, unemployment insurance, General liability, rent or mortgage payments for too very long. I would think at the minimum $250K. That's my opinion.

Back to your question. Your ability to get start up capital is directly related to your experience and education and is as important as your credit and resources to most lenders. Since you apparently don't have resources and limited experience, then your education is going to be that much more important.

A business degree is always good to have, but taking coursework in business could also suffice. You are going to need a business plan, a marketing plan and a good understanding of your market, so having at least some coursework will not be a waste of time. I also suggest a sales course if you are not experienced in sales. Every business is dependent on sales so you need to have a good understanding of your industry. How sales are conducted, and by whom. There are also different payment cycles in different industries. You need to understand those as well if you are going to have enough working capital to support employees and the related overhead.

Having access to competent advisers such as attorneys, accountants, etc. would also show a lender that you have thoroughly prepared for operating your business.

You don't need to wait around for coursework. There is plenty of free resources online or even at your library. I would begin with attempting to put your plans down on paper. Don't worry about the form, this should be for you, not for a lender. You can put a formal plan together later. Write it on a napkin if you want. You seem to have at least some vision of what you want, so put that down.

You have already started networking online, but you need to begin networking with people who can actually help you. Preferably in your local area. Ask around for recommendations for those professionals. Or just walk into an office, and introduce yourself. Explain what your are doing. I am a real estate investor. That is exactly what I do when I need someone's services. I have yet to be disappointed with the results. If they take the time to meet with you unexpectedly, then they will generally make the time to service your needs. If they put you off, then excuse yourself and find someone else. That's my tip for the day.

Good luck!!

KTGELETECMon Jul-16-12 12:07 PM

#2. "RE: Funding my business."
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for your advice,I will keep all that in mind

Servant of the great I Am!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4884 Previous topic | Next topic