Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4363

Subject: "Just not sure..." Previous topic | Next topic
tkelleyWed Jun-02-10 10:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Just not sure..."

Ok here I go... Not sure what I want to do right now. See I have a number of things going on and need to figure out what a better plan of attact is.. I am currently a single dad of a 15 year old who is living at home. I have a great job but need more money like the rest of us.. Am on my way to compleating a computer science degree in the spring of 2011. School is Saturday all day... usualy get home around 5 or so and we run on 7 week cycles. Seven weeks of school then 1 week off then start again. I have a small DJ business that I get about 10 gig a year. Dont realy advertise much just run a referal program though my place of work. I am thinking of starting a toner cartridge resell business but not sure if I want to do that. lots of others in the field and not much room for profit anymore.

So I come here for an idea.. something? I need to spend time with my daughter because she needs her dad.. I dont want to have to get a second job but on the other hand she needs braces, clothing ect.. you know the drill.. Any ideas? thoughts?

Thank you in advance for your help..

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Just not sure...
Jun 30th 2010
RE: Just not sure...
Jul 02nd 2010

spiceoflife1Wed Jun-30-10 05:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Just not sure..."
In response to Reply # 0

Tom,

I've done the same thing-fluctuating back and forth. Suggestion 1-don't get into the inkjet thing-if you are fluctuating on anything, don't do it to where you would be spending your money getting into something new. Spend the money on promoting what you already know, the area you already know, the people you know.

Vistaprints is a great organization for getting inexpensive printed materials (brochures and such) IF you don't know how to create your own professional brochures. Consider that Schools, Retirement Centers and other organizations may want a DJ for a day-program. Humane Societies would love to have inexpensive (or yes, free) DJ for some of their adoption events (in fact, many charities would kill for your services!) Why donate your time?

As a DJ, we need to get out there to let others know what we do and what we have to offer. If we offer ourselves to charity events, people will come up to you and ask about what you have to offer, especially if they are planning their own events. Be a professional. Always carry your best business cards (Vistaprints, again, has some wonderful designs and you can customize them yourself. You can get 500 for like, 10 bucks! So, don't omit this necessity!) Give your cards out ALWAYS. Join NAME (National Association of Mobile Entertainers) or ADJA (American DJ Association) and other professional organizations. Go to their meetings.

Yes, take your daughter. As you age, she may become the primary DJ, and you might get to be the roadie. Network with other DJ services who may ask you to cover when an emergency comes up (assuming they know what you do, the type of DJ you are when you are working, etc). I never drink alcohol when I am working - it helps prevent foot-in-mouth disease. If another DJ asks you to cover, they will probably want a percentage (after all, they did the original booking!)

If you don't already, have a contract for your clients. Send notes to previous clients and ask for their testimonials and feedback. Can you improve? Something they wanted that you didn't have? Do you offer anything extra? Karaoke? Lights? Bubbles? Smoke? These are all important things to keep in mind, to add to as you go along, and to build upon.

Good luck!

Connie and David Spicer, Artists/Entrepreneurs
Spice of Life Studios
CN Starz* Entertainment
Hidden Harbour Cards & Gifts
Secure Opportunities

DBeaversFri Jul-02-10 06:41 AM

#2. "RE: Just not sure..."
In response to Reply # 0

When you investigated the Ink jet/toner cartridge refill business, you had to be considering the business-2-business sales opportunity.

B2B sales offers many opportunities, including some that require little or no investment.

Take those same business prospects and offer them custom-printed promotional advertising and you can build a business with lifetime income potential.

There may be a few more competitors, but a lot more prospects as well. It's not quite the same as delivering a couple cartridges as we can offer the end-user over 900K different products that can carry their name/logo/msg.

And instead of selling 1 to 6 cartridges, you could be selling 2500 stadium cups, 500 calendars, 48 t-shirts, 1000 ink pens, 24 dozen golf balls, or 288 embroidered golf caps.

The 3800+ suppliers in our industry have the inventory on hand, print the order, and drop-ship to your clients, while you focus on the sales and marketing of your business, and meeting your client's needs.

I started my career in promotional advertising 26 years ago, operating my micro-business (just my wife and I) from a spare bedroom in our home.

And, because you call on your clients (no showroom or retail space to rent), you can work the business around your music, family, & school priorities.

You have the option of selling online, offline, or both if you choose.

The flexibility offered with this business may be just what you need to add income without drastically altering you current schedule.

Dennis

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4363 Previous topic | Next topic