Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4068

Subject: "cake business" Previous topic | Next topic
tina bTue Dec-15-09 10:38 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"cake business"

I am a baker, and I am thinking about starting a cake decorating business. There are a few other people around here that already do this, but they are really exspensive. I want to offer cakes at a lower price, I would still make a profit, but the customers will benifit from the lower prices in this bad economy.
The name of my business would be the fugal cake baker.
What do you think? About the idea and the name?
Thanks for any advice.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: cake business
Nov 29th 2009
Nov 29th 2009
Dec 22nd 2009
Dec 23rd 2009

bizdevSun Nov-29-09 07:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: cake business"
In response to Reply # 0

Assuming you meant The Frugal Cake Baker the name to me makes me think of cheap cakes. As in cheaply made; not good looking or tasting. I would re-think the name to something more positive and appealing.

In order to know if your idea is viable you need to write up a business plan. It sounds as if right now it's just an idea you're tossing around. You need to calculate your costs before you can determine if it will be worth it to you financially to offer cheaper cakes. Will you be baking from home or opening a shop? There are a lot of costs involved in a commercial endeavor such as this. It's not just the ingredients and labor, but marketing and advertising costs, equipment, delivery, supplies. And if you open a brick and mortar shop the costs skyrocket to include rent, maintenance, insurance, payroll, utilities, taxes, signage, etc, etc.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

hostingdivaSun Nov-29-09 07:42 AM

#2. "RE: cake business"
In response to Reply # 0

I agree with the previous poster that "Frugal" (if that's what you meant) is a bad name for a cake business.

I don't think your name has to say anything about the cakes being less expensive than your competition. People will know that just by your prices.

If you can do it cheaper than your competition, then I would go for it. But, you should think about why they are offering the cakes at such prices. Have you considered all the expenses? I just want to make sure you've thought of everything before you get into this business and then realize that you can't really offer the cakes at those prices.

If you did think of everything - go for it!

Make sure you get a website where people can order your cakes online. That way, you can advertise on places like craigslist.com

Good luck!
~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

kitchenchatterTue Dec-22-09 04:38 PM

#3. "RE: cake business"
In response to Reply # 0

Do you want people to know you as a "cheap" baker or would you rather be known for a top notch baker who makes outstanding cakes and have people flock to your door? This is a "duh" question so re-think the name. Do a google search for cake bakers and such to find ideas. You have to set yourself apart and above the crowds but not with price. Anybody can have a lower price. You want the best cakes you can bake that will have people lined up with their forks (and credit cards)

Kitchen Conversations
http://www.kitchen.infoesource.com

KitchenChatter on Twitter
http://www.twitter.com/kitchenchatter

tina bWed Dec-23-09 01:55 AM

#4. "RE: cake business"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks for all the comments so far! I am licenced to bake out of my kitchen. I make pies and breads in the summer, I sell almost 100 pies a week in July and Aug. but it is the tourist that are buying them. When they leave, business goes down to nothing. The locals don't want to pay $13.75 for a homemade pie. They all shop at the local big supermarket where they have the cakes that come in frozen, and they bake them there and decorate them for $14.00. I am doing some baking for a ski resort in the area, that will give me some income for the winter here! It is mostly small stuff, cookies, bars, whoopie pies,but it's something!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4068 Previous topic | Next topic