Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4002

Subject: "Turn Key business?" Previous topic | Next topic
Tri-ThunderMon Oct-12-09 10:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Turn Key business?"

I have an idea for a small, seasonal business. After going over my business plan a few times, I'm guessing that the income would be 3k to 10k per season, depending on how involved people wanted to be with it, their overhead, sales, length of season, etc.

My question is, while I like the idea of what I want to do, I'd also like to offer it as a turn key/work from home solution for those out there that want a part time job that is their own company. My thoughts are that while I run this business, that I'd offer my business plan, maybe a training video, access for advice, access to materials, etc. I would offer 2 different options where the economy option is about $300.00 for the concept, business plan, video, advice and access to the small dollar item. They would use their own resources to gather the high ticket items, but it gives them the opportunity to get creative in cutting costs.

The second option is a full turn key option of $3000.00 where everything needed is sent and the owner just needs to register their business with their state or whatever their guidelines are for their area, and they can be off and running their business within a few weeks.

Does anyone have any advice on starting a turn key solution? I'd like a year of running the small business first to establish everything, to use photos of the business running, etc, before I started the turn key option in 2011, but I'd like to incorporate it into my business plan now...

Any advice?

Jamma.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Turn Key business?
Oct 14th 2009
Oct 14th 2009
Oct 14th 2009
Oct 15th 2009

annalaurabrownWed Oct-14-09 02:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Turn Key business?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Jamma

You didn't share details about exactly what kind of business it is but the biggest issue I see here is that people can already sign up with a direct sales or network marketing company for $300 or less in many cases and get everything they need to run a home business so unless you have something many of these companies do not, how you are going to make it so that someone who is looking for a business will sign up with you and not with another company?

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

Tri-ThunderWed Oct-14-09 04:07 AM

#2. "RE: Turn Key business?"
In response to Reply # 1

Guess I'm not exactly sure. This is a garage sale kit business. A few people do it on the side, but not as a documented business. What I see are rental companies that are brick and mortar, what I don't see is something this niche specific that caters to those having garage sales. The kit is delivered and then picked up from the person having the garage sale.
The econo plan would provide a business plan, access to some supplies needed, (signs, pricing stickers, markers, etc that comes in a kit itself), a waiver of some sort maybe, though would need to be tailored for their own state laws. I'd give them advice on how/where to source their own tables/clothes racks to complete the kit.
The full plan would be tables, racks, plus all the above dropshipped to the customer. They would then have 5 kits to start offering for rental right away. The first year is all about covering your initial expenses of inventory, (tables, advertising, etc) Once everything is paid for, easily by the start of the second year, if not sooner, then every year after is mostly profit minus expenses.
Maybe it's pie in the sky, but why not dream? I'd focus on the econo plan and try to get $$ thru the volume and let the customers try to source their own tables and such, while providing some advice and access to some resources. Make sense?

Jamma.

hostingdivaWed Oct-14-09 04:06 PM

#3. "RE: Turn Key business?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Jamma:

Why not try? Based on your description, this seems like a great idea for work at home moms.

I say go for it!

I think your biggest obstacle is going to be advertising the business -- but, this is a problem no matter what kind of business you start The other problem is you always see these commercials about getting rich quick schemes where they're talking about making millions by just working 2 hours a week. Not true, but lots of people believe the hype. So, your promise of them making 3-10K may be an issue.

Finally, I think there is a really large disparity between the $300 and $3K - is there any way for you to drop the $3K to something more in line with the $300 particularly because youre estimate of how much they can make starts at the $3K. Basically, I think that will be too hard a sell for you.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

jimkcliftonThu Oct-15-09 10:15 AM

#4. "RE: Turn Key business?"
In response to Reply # 0

Maybe the best place to get ideas for the direction of this business would be to go out and talk to people who are having garage sales themselves. You could develop a questionnaire and gather data from people in the trenches about what would be helpful to them.

Good luck and have fun!

Jim

Extra Cash Every Month
www.myhomeoffice.ws
It's a good life...

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #4002 Previous topic | Next topic