Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #398

Subject: "Does anyone know if this is true?" Previous topic | Next topic
Gorgi7Wed Nov-15-06 06:47 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Does anyone know if this is true?"

Ok so I live in NJ and a friend of mine started up a hoagie shop pulling in about 10,000 a week in sales. My family and I are relocating to the Gulf coast of FL and we we're thinking of starting up a sub shop since the area we are moving too has not too many and quite actually they are not so tastey. From what I here up north the bread bakes different, due to altitude and humidity. Can anyone really justify that thats true. Now that I think about it you cant get a good slice of pizza, a pretzel or a good hogie in FL. I'd like to change that. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Stephani

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Does anyone know if this is true?
Nov 16th 2006
Nov 16th 2006
Nov 17th 2006
Nov 23rd 2006
Nov 25th 2006

womenaboutbizThu Nov-16-06 01:29 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Does anyone know if this is true?"
In response to Reply # 0

Location is always going to be key when starting any type of restaurant. Make an appointment with the city's local Small Business Development Center (usually found at the community colleges), you might also check to see if they have a local restaurant association. If so, attend a few of their meetings and get to know other owners who can be a great resource for you.

Here's a great business resource below:
http://www.floridasmallbusiness.com/resources/resources.asp

Trina Newby
Founder/CEO
Women About Biz
"If You're A Businesswoman You Belong!"

Pat and AlixThu Nov-16-06 04:14 PM

#2. "RE: Does anyone know if this is true?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think given the number of retirees from NY and NJ now living in Florida, you would do well bringing some familiar tastes of NJ to them. Now that I'm in WA state, I can tell you my NJ born husband adores Jersey's Mikes because the subs there just are so reminiscent of home.

However...while I was just a kidlet when I lived in FL, I was in my 20's when I lived in Louisianna - very hot, very humid and very much a place with wonderful po boys (a style of hoagie) and great Italian food. It's out there outside of NY and NJ

Best wishes to you with your venture,

Pat and Alix P. Curl

lucymayFri Nov-17-06 06:45 AM

#3. "RE: Does anyone know if this is true?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Nov-17-06 06:48 AM by lucymay

Stephani-
I am an ex Jersey Mike's franchisee, and yes, that is true. As with any restaurant, consistency and quality are a top priority. In the southern states, where I am from, it's so humid, that baking requires some adjustments. Some people also say the water's different up north and you can taste that difference. As far as that goes, I have no idea, but I know of some restaurants that actually ship water down from NY to make their pizza crust(or so they claim).
Anyway, for sub shops, to me, bread is THE key ingredient. It doesn't matter if you're serving Kobe beef on them, if it's terrible bread, the sandwich is garbage. If you don't want to order your bread from a main line distributor, like Sysco(which is fine) I would HIGHLY recommend going around town and seeing if there's a good bakery that will wholesale their bread. That solves a lot of problems, namely, teaching your staff how to bake bread properly(it's an art and a science), delivery issues, having to buy a proofer and oven, racks, sheets, etc...($) and so on, plus it creates a BIG impression, that you only use a local baker for your rolls. Customers like that.
I actually would like to start a sub shop myself, knowing what I do now having owned a franchise. But my market's pretty tapped out(I sold my shop on the SC coast and have moved to Asheville, NC).
Anyway, like the bread is of utmost importance, the meats and cheeses are as well. Buy the best, and not Boar's Head, because that's what BH's marketing has led people to believe. It's not the best by a long shot, BH has just done a good marketing job. Same with Angus Beef; most people think if someone sells Angus, it's the best and think they're getting "Certified Angus Beef." CAB is a brand, and just 'Angus Beef' is not a mark of quality. Taste it all and decide what YOU think is best. Ask everyone you know-do taste and smell tests as you build your product. Same for how you serve the lettuce-prepackaged vs fresh vs. sliced, vs. torn vs. chopped(it makes a big difference). Come up with a hook; a special sauce, which could be no more than oil/vinegar, spices, whatever. Make your sandwiches stand out in quality and taste and even presentation of the sub. Learn to use a slicer and slice your product in front of the crowd and give them a show. Make a customer's ordering and dining experience just that-an experience, not just something to cram down their throat on their way to a meeting. Even if the prices end up being higher, and they most certainly will than the big chains for obvious reasons, people will pay it after they get hooked. It's a competitive business, but a fun one, and pretty easy in the scheme of things.
Email me or ask here if you want more info-I like discussing it. Good luck!

mrnaughty50Thu Nov-23-06 10:12 PM

#4. "RE: Does anyone know if this is true?"
In response to Reply # 0

I know of hoagie franchises that have there bread flown in daily from Pennsylvania that might be a solution to your dilemma.

menaughty

jilliansmillSat Nov-25-06 04:55 PM

#5. "RE: Does anyone know if this is true?"
In response to Reply # 0

Go ask the same question at directmatches.com/jilliansmill and get thousands of pros answer your queston instantly. You have to be sponsored so use the link I gave yoo. Its free.

I find all my answers there it is a great place for networking and marketing together. Look up my profile in there and we can chat jilliansmill

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #398 Previous topic | Next topic