Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3942

Subject: "Business idea fears" Previous topic | Next topic
kildaySat Sep-19-09 10:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Business idea fears"

I'm almost 6 months pregnant and mentally already on Maternity leave. I'm very good at my job and up for promotion just before I go on Maternity leave, but just because I'm good at my job, doesn't mean I enjoy being there.

I've always dreamt of having my own business and am desperate for it more so now because I'd love to run it from home and have time for my child.
I have a vague, very vague idea of what I would like to do, and even have a great name for the business in mind.

How do I go about developing the idea? My dear is that if I share it with other people to get ideas and opinions, I'm afraid someone will steal the idea and do it better or sonner than I can.

I've already found similar products on the market for one part of my business idea which made my heart sink a little.

Like so many others on here I've thought of a few ideas over the years but haven't acted on any because someone has always done it before me, and I lose hope/interest thinking that mine would never be able to compete. I'd love to stay on track, but I really don't know where to start.

How can I bounce my idea off people and develope it without the fear of losing the idea to someone else?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Business idea fears
Sep 19th 2009
Sep 21st 2009
Sep 22nd 2009

hostingdivaSat Sep-19-09 11:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Business idea fears"
In response to Reply # 0

Your fear is common. But, frankly, it is very uncommon for someone to steal and develop someone elses' idea. Lots of people have lots of ideas every day. It takes A LOT more than an idea to get a business going - money, time, and more money! So, even if someone wanted to develop your idea, they would still need to invest the money and the time. Most people just don't want to do that.

You may want to consult a SCORE center near you. Those people are there specifically to talk to people who want to start businesses so maybe you would feel more comfortable talking to them given that their job is to hear and provide feedback on ideas.

Best of luck!!

~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

annalaurabrownMon Sep-21-09 03:52 AM

#2. "RE: Business idea fears"
In response to Reply # 1

yes I agree with what has already been said. You also may want to consider a direct sales business where you market an already existing product. This can be much easier to get going with. Besides SCORE you may also want to consult your local chapter of SBA.gov.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

PepperfireTue Sep-22-09 08:26 AM

#3. "RE: Business idea fears"
In response to Reply # 0

You can have anyone you actually discuss the details of your idea with sign a Non-Disclosure agreement to protect your idea and this before beginning discussions.

It is standard operating procedure for us to sign a legal document that guarantees our potential customers that we will not steal their ideas while we discuss whether or not we will be the company to work for them. (I'm in food manufacturing). I imagine it would easily work the same or similarly in other industries.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods Inc.
http://www.peppermaster.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3942 Previous topic | Next topic