Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3809

Subject: "Can't focus need help!" Previous topic | Next topic
eshields1014Tue Aug-11-09 12:15 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Can't focus need help!"

Phew here we go.

I have started an all natural dog treat business that is very very slow. so I am exploring other business ideas too!

I want to open a dog bakery but don't have the money, nor very good credit. Where do I go and how do I go about seeing If i could get a grant for this? What do you think my odds are for getting a grant?

I have always thought that it would be fun to write a book. I have one book idea and I want to also try writing childrens books!

I am looking for more ideas of low cost start up business that I could do/try my hand at.

I have seen the follow up don't think they would work out for me

Selling clothes of any type
greating cards
Not into providing a service, more of a good
Not into dog walking, pet sitting, house sitting.
Not good @ house cleaning lol
Gift baskets are to many choices and options for me.

I can't really think of anything to start im so desperate for something amazing and fun!

I am planning on opening a daycare in my home when my dad retires because right now I work for him as an adminitrative assistant.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Can't focus need help!
Jul 11th 2009
Jul 12th 2009
Jul 13th 2009
Jul 14th 2009
Jul 14th 2009
Jul 16th 2009
Jul 14th 2009
Jul 15th 2009
Jul 15th 2009
Aug 26th 2009

PepperfireSat Jul-11-09 07:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Can't focus need help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Prepare yourself for about a dozen responses describing some MLM or other.

In the meantime, the best advice you will get here is to follow your passion.

What do YOU like to do in your spare time? I'd rather tell you how to turn THAT into a hobby than give you another meaningless list of easy low-cost businesses that will be just as bad for you as any other that you've tried and failed with.

I also ask this question because first and foremost if you're going to spend the next 5000 hours doing something, you'd best make sure it's something you thoroughly enjoy; and that's where passion comes in. Passion tells. If you're passionate about what you're doing, people notice.

Confucious say "Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life".

So, I ask again; what do you like to do in your spare time?

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

bizdevSun Jul-12-09 02:10 AM

#2. "RE: Can't focus need help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Since your current business idea is all natural dog treats and your dream business would be a dog bakery, maybe you should look into an online, "green" doggie biz. You've got your first product already (by the way, you should have included your web address as a marketing strategy). You could find (or create) all natural dog products like toys, treats, bedding, flea repelant, etc.

The all natural, green, aspect would be your hook. Add a blog on your website and tout the greening of the pet world.

Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

mikeperegrineMon Jul-13-09 05:27 AM

#3. "RE: Can't focus need help!"
In response to Reply # 0

It sounds like you already have your business idea, but being that it's slow-going you are thinking about looking into other possibilities. I think I'd focus on just one and make that successful through methodical, targeted marketing techniques. Don't spread yourself too thin. Ask yourself why the dog treat business is getting off to a slow start and then come up with marketing strategies to change that. It sounds like you have your passion, but just need to work toward reaching some well thought-out goals.

Michael Peregrine
http://www.mikeperegrine.com

annalaurabrownTue Jul-14-09 03:24 AM

#4. "RE: Can't focus need help!"
In response to Reply # 3

you don't really mention why the dog treat business is slow or what exactly you have done to promote it but I agree you should focus, focus, focus otherwise you will get nothing productive done.

I would think that even in this economy a dog treat business would be profitable. how about these ideas if you haven't tried them already:

1. do you have a website? If not, you really need to get one.
2. what about going to local networking events such as chamber events and others? I get great success with my business by going to these.
3. what about dog shows or other related events? These may cost money but you could potentially do very very well there.
4. what about contacting people who are advertising that they are selling puppies? some of them may be wiling to pass out some flyers for you.

Just a few ideas that came to mind.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

eshields1014Tue Jul-14-09 05:56 AM

#5. "RE: Can't focus need help!"
In response to Reply # 4

It is slow because....no one is buying...

Yes I have a website
I was doing bazaars and craft shows
I have done flyers, business cards, my website, twitter, myspace, contacted ppl who do dog walking, pet sitting, etc.

I am shy and not sure how to approch a lot of this

mikeperegrineThu Jul-16-09 05:29 AM

#9. "RE: Can't focus need help!"
In response to Reply # 5

If it's slow because no one is buying, that can only be attributed to a couple possibilities:

Either the dogs don't like/eat the treats; or
The marketing program needs work.

Putting a webpage on the internet and making some flyers doesn't cut it these days. You've got to come up with some CREATIVE and well-planned marketing strategies. Take a look at the book Guerrilla Marketing. It might help stir your imagination a bit. If something isn't working, it's just a matter of pinpointing why that is and then being willing to make the change necessary to make it work. Good luck in your business!

Michael Peregrine
Consultant/Coach
http://www.mikeperegrine.com
http://www.youtube.com/mperegrine09

eshields1014Tue Jul-14-09 05:59 AM

#6. "RE: Can't focus need help!"
In response to Reply # 4

Also I am confused on the labeling requirements. My boyfriend went into a dog daycare to ask if he would mind carrying my product he said no because there is a guy who comes in and will buy something and test it to see if what is on the label is really the truth..which i dont understand..anyway the FDA website says that the labeling must containg package weight and ingredits name of business contact info which all of mine does. But wha tI am not clear on is that do i have to include this...

Nutrtion facts? I don't think that I do Its very unclear and confusing, If i do how do i figure this out?

Texas2sumWed Jul-15-09 12:42 AM

#7. "RE: Can't focus need help!"
In response to Reply # 0

First I would like to say hello to everyone here. I am looking forward to the exchange of ideas, experiences and knowledge!

I was intrigued by your post as I believe many young entrepreneurs experience the same thing and that is the spirit of independence and desire to be in control of your own career destiny. I believe most of us in business for ourselves share these and other traits. As great as these qualities are they can also be your enemy as you are discovering. True entrepreneurs look around constantly for opportunities and see many that make them say "wow that would be a great business or I could do that!" The challenge becomes our individual abilities, background, knowledge, experience and so on. So as a veteran of over 20 years of "self employment" I offer a few pearls of wisdom, food for thought and a healthy dose of OPE (other people?s experience).

First I believe that Pepperfire hit the nail on the head with a powerful direct shot PASSION is the key to most truly successful entrepreneurs. It isn't that we can?t be successful in developing and operating a business, without passion though it takes on the personality of a job. In other words it is no fun just solid work and even greater stress because you are the company.

If you look at my signature on this post I believe there is a three part formula for success, Passion + Persistence + Perseverance = Success. If there is not something about your business that motivates you passionately the persistence and perseverance become huge weights you drag around while your business just makes you a living. You don't like what you are doing yet you have no choice because you have to eat. So what is different about that from a regular job?

One of the next big considerations is business income. In a start up business especially one that fits a very niche market such as your pet bakery, you must consider where the business can and will develop income streams. Income streams must provide cash flow for your business, income for you personally and capitol for growth. So you must be very honest with yourself about where the money is going to come from and what it will cost to get that stream or streams flowing.

Also you need to figure out how deep, wide and reliable those income streams are. Your business idea falls into the category of a luxury type product for pets and to a large degree impulse spending from disposable income. So ask yourself what could happen to my income stream in an economy such as the one we are enduring now? Also how many potential streams are there, and can one keep you going if another begins to dry up?

First my biggest pearl of wisdom for your situation is don't quit your day job! Take some time first as Pepperfire said and discover your passion or passions. Next evaluate your passion as a business idea. Finally determine realistically how your business can tap into various income streams which can get you going and keep you going even through difficult times, and there will be difficult times!

Good luck and pursue your dreams with passion!

Mitch Haynie
M2greensources.com
Passion + Persistence + Perseverance = Success!

eshields1014Wed Jul-15-09 05:21 AM

#8. "RE: Can't focus need help!"
In response to Reply # 7

My passion is to own my own business I am 100% sure that is what I want to do. I do not do well working for others and I love working for my self. The only thing I need to overcome is being shy.

I like what I am doing I find it fun.

I am not worried about the pet bakery or anything during and down time. People will ALWAYS spend money on there pets. they treat them as children and want the best for them. I also read during the depression that is one of the only things that lasted.

I am not going to quit my job my dad will retired in a few years and no i dont want his business its commercial and industrial painting. So if my business isnt up by then my plan is to start a daycar from my home and keep working on the dog bakery

potpourriWed Aug-26-09 04:27 PM

#11. "RE: Can't focus need help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds to me like you really don't have any idea of what you want. Do you want to make a few bucks or do you really want a "business"? Taking the business route is my suggestion but you do have to have an idea of what you want to do.

Do it the old fashion way, take a pen and paper and write it all down. What do you like doing, what do you want to accomplish? Here is an article that I wrote that you may want to read. http://infoesource.com/blogindex/?p=185

Ocha

Follow Me On Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/InfoESource

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3809 Previous topic | Next topic