Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3632

Subject: "Where do ideas come from?" Previous topic | Next topic
beckybeeThu May-14-09 02:45 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Where do ideas come from?"

Like so many others I am struggling to find an idea. Some people say "Do what you love" others say, "Do what you know", and others still say "Do what you're good at".

Now, I may sound like an absolute loser here if I admit, I fall into none of those categories:

- What I love: History and life in different periods through time - but what can I do with that?
- What I know: Nothing. I'm not really qualified in anything in particular except IT.
- What I'm good at: My current job in IT, but I don't love it and I hate working for other people.

Do other people look at themselves and question what talents they actually have as well? And where do business ideas come from? I'd like to do something crafty with my hands, but I can't draw or sew, and other ideas like gift baskets and baking have been done to death. I've tried thinking of new twists on these (I love Baby Bouquets for example), but my mind goes blank.

I try searching around the house for inspiration, I go out into the yard, I try to think about things that bug me that I could make easier for people and I'm still at a loss.

I'm not here to ask "Tell me what I can do", I guess I just wanted to share my frustration and see where other people got their ideas from.

Here are two things I am passionate about. If anyone has a fantastic brainwave based on these, I'm all ears (or eyes).....

1. I like looking back to the 1940's and earlier because I believe they had a better life even though it was harder work
2. I like living in the country and hate the fact that I have to drive an hour to get to work in the city every day. I wish I could just stay at home and do gardening and housework and have a small home business.

Open to any advice, suggestions, other rants.....

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Where do ideas come from?
May 04th 2009
May 06th 2009
May 11th 2009
May 15th 2009
Jan 21st 2010
Feb 01st 2010

jimkcliftonMon May-04-09 06:52 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Where do ideas come from?"
In response to Reply # 0

I'm definitely with you when it comes to NOT wanting to work for someone else or commute to work.

I was a teacher for 9 years and then stumbled into real estate and have been working in residential re-sale for the past 9 years. Real estate is a great career, but is dependent on the market. I want a job that supplies me residual income: that pays me even while I sleep or I'm on vacation.

I have found the simplest home business with great potential. I have made a little money each month for 2 years now, but I'm just starting to put more energy into it.

Check it out for yourself at www.myhomeoffice.ws. Make sure to click on "More Info" after the short initial presentation. E-mail me with any questions you might have, I'm happy to share the nuts and bolts of the business with you.

Have fun and good luck...

jim@myhomeoffice.ws

Extra Cash Every Month
www.myhomeoffice.ws
It's a good life...

paul10507Wed May-06-09 04:28 AM

#2. "RE: Where do ideas come from?"
In response to Reply # 0

I think you can really make something of your interest in history or more specifically nostalgia. I like to collect magazines from the 40's. I particularly enjoy the advertisements of that period, they reflect the lifestyle of the period.

I think there may be a market for a website dedicated to the 40's 50's and 60's and general nostalgia, maybe even a trading post for nostalgic items, magazines etc.

40's to the 60's was such a historic period there would be so much content available...everything from the war to the rat pack.

Just a thought for you.

Paul

coffeeshop1Mon May-11-09 08:07 AM

#3. "RE: Where do ideas come from?"
In response to Reply # 0

My husband had the idea for our current business as a coffee shop and bookstore. He loved a used bookstore in our old hometown and thought that since no one else was doing one in our new little hometown he would. Still in the early stages.....
Anyway I think that he did what you are doing and that is looking around at what is already around and seeing where you can fit in. What about becoming a landscaper or planner? Or since you are already in the country do a "truck patch" Maybe a co-op or something along those lines. There are local little farms here who offer berry picking in the summer and then pumpkin patches in the fall with corn mazes. Depends on your location and the acreage you have and the amount of time you want to put in it. Its a lot of work I am sure but it may be worth it.... GOOD Luck!!
century press

Steve PatrickFri May-15-09 04:57 AM

#5. "RE: Where do ideas come from?"
In response to Reply # 0

Most practical ideas are rarely revolutionary but instead are really solutions to problems (think pantyhose) or refinements and adaptations of existing ideas (diet soda, power tools, etc.).

Here's one idea (a refinement of an existing product) - why not build on on-line store strictly for local or regional crafters to sell their products (list for free - pay me when you sell). Many of these people have probably tried EBay and are overwhelmed, or just plain don't like the process or find their product is lost in the "Mall of the Universe".

Maybe they have tried their own website - same story (20,700,00 Google listings for 'gift baskets'). Or else they find that the creation and maintenance of their site is too costly or time-consuming.

Anyway, it's a place you can use your current skills and get an up-front idea of how others are creating incomes with crafts and, by collecting a sales commission, begin to earn some income.

You can probably get some customers right away by trolling the local 'flea markets' or craft expos.

Good Luck

Steve Patrick

ritalynn2593Thu Jan-21-10 07:59 AM

#6. "RE: Where do ideas come from?"
In response to Reply # 5

I think most everyone has been there before. I think that establishing a criteria of the type of business that would fit in with your personality would work. There are a number of books to assist. Any of Paul and Sarah Edwards books would work and you can get a list at the book stores. The one I particularly like was Finding your perfect Work & Why Aren't you your own boss? It will help you flush out what is really important to you. The Perfect Business by Michael LeBoeuf, and Nick Usborne's New Path to riches and finally Career Renegade. The last two books show you how to take an interest that you are passionate about and make it a moneymaking venture.

Idea Flusher

roxieMon Feb-01-10 04:36 PM

#7. "RE: Where do ideas come from?"
In response to Reply # 0

Brainstorming ideas that take into account what you love to do and the lifestyle you want to have is the most important..most skills you can learn or find a partner with skills you need but don't have. Consider the demographics of your area and current trends (green, healthy food, what might not be available, etc) as you create an idea.
Ideas that popped into my head: grow flowers and sell a "weekly bouquet" that gets delivered to their door..sell memberships at local farmers market,etc. Especially the antique flower varieties with info about them, seedlings, delivered in a container from the era.. or herbal teas..tea parties.

Roxane
letloose@create-your-job.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3632 Previous topic | Next topic