Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3354

Subject: "I need help keeping people on my website" Previous topic | Next topic
tmaculate1Thu Jan-15-09 06:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I need help keeping people on my website"

I installed a program called Google Analytics about 3 weeks ago and it breaks down everything I need to know about when I have visitors to my website (www.jabridesign.com).

The only problem is, they don't stick around long at all and I'm wondering why? I'm thinking maybe it's just window shoppers or other competitors.

I want to create something that draws them in and keeps them there for more than 15 seconds, lol.

Does anyone here have any good suggestions who operates their own website for services or products? I appreciate the advice!

Travis
www.jabridesign.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I need help keeping people on my website
Jan 16th 2009
Jan 16th 2009
Jan 17th 2009
Jan 19th 2009
Jan 24th 2009
Jan 30th 2009
Jan 24th 2009
Jan 30th 2009
Jan 31st 2009

ddesmFri Jan-16-09 09:35 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: I need help keeping people on my website"
In response to Reply # 0

If you would like to keep people on your site longer you can try the following:

1. More Content
2. Links with more information about your services below:
services
* Logo & Graphic Design
* Character Illustration
* Business Cards
* Stationery
* Flyers
3. A Video Blog

Hope this helps1
Daryl Des Marais
http://www.usabusinessgrowth.com

tmaculate1Fri Jan-16-09 11:22 AM

#2. "RE: I need help keeping people on my website"
In response to Reply # 1
Fri Jan-16-09 11:22 AM by tmaculate1

Hi Daryl,

Thanks for the reply! I agree that I probably need to go more in-depth with the services. I'll get started on that tonight.

Never thought of a video blog. Is there an example of one online so that i can make sure I follow you?

Thanks again!

Travis
www.jabridesign.com

achievedisplaySat Jan-17-09 04:59 AM

#3. "RE: I need help keeping people on my website"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,
Here are a few of my suggestions. When you come onto your page, there isn't really anywhere to go. It is kind of like a dead end. If I am looking for a graphic designer, the first thing I want to see is a portfolio or examples of their work. The link "work" goes to this but it isn't immediately apparent. You only have a few seconds.

You have some really awesome graphic design skills. Take some time and read Steve Krug's book "Dont make me think"

It was difficult for me to understand how the navigation of the page worked. The arrows that make the animation flow left and right are difficult to understand at first. Then when you keep clicking right, it goes back left.

There are what look like headings on the page, but you can't click on them to navigate.

I like the way the page "work" gives you a sneak peak of the full image, but it seems too cumbersome to me. I want to quickly look through your work to get a feel if we are compatible.

Your contact page only leads to yahoo messenger. Everyone doesn't use Yahoo. Install a basic contact form that will send you an email. If you spend a lot of time on the computer, another consideration is to find an open source version of live messenger. This way you can interface with potential customers as they are on your site.

I wish you the best. Great graphic design btw.

Joe
Achieve Display
http://www.achievedisplay.com
Retail Store Fixtures
Food Service Equipment

tmaculate1Mon Jan-19-09 07:15 PM

#4. "RE: I need help keeping people on my website"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi Joe,

Just got around to reading your reply. Thanks for the intuitive and detailed response. I greatly appreciate the time you took on my behalf.

You echo some of the same thoughts I've had except I'm confused on some of your thoughts.

1) Not sure I want to change my index page to go directly into my portfolio but I do agree that it's not as flashy as some. The index page is more of an introduction to the services we provide with a few samples of each category. I tend to agree that there should probably be another "road" to get to my portfolio page. Perhaps I can create a quick link at the bottom of the home page saying "See Sample Work!" or something similar.

2) The animated slide viewer will show different images when you either click on the image directly or with the arrows. It goes back to the 1st image once you view the 3rd and last one. That's just the way it was built.

3) Not sure what you mean by unclickable headings. What browser are you using? I know there is a problem with IE6 and below where it can't translate PNG files correctly so it shows a light blue background on my header image (the mascot guy). I'm not much of a webdesigner so I gave up trying to fix it.

4) Re: the Work page, if I were to create it without thumbnails, I would have a cluttered mess. I've researched probably hundreds of other portfolios and this is pretty standard. Not sure how else to meet halfway on that one.

5) Re: my Contact page...again, not sure what browser you're using but it should have a portion where you can type in your Name, Email, Message, etc. YahooIM is just another means of contact if the end-user happened to be using it as well. I have considered the idea of using one of those "Speak with a Live Rep" type of messengers but I haven't looked into it yet.

I finally had the time to create my Services page today, in which I just uploaded a few hours ago. That should definitely help with the questions I sometimes get on how everything works.

Well, thanks again guys! This forum is always a terrific outlet for me when I need advice on this stuff. Much appreciated.

Travis
www.jabridesign.com

achievedisplaySat Jan-24-09 05:19 PM

#6. "RE: I need help keeping people on my website"
In response to Reply # 4

Let me first say that after visiting jabridesign's website, I got him to do some graphic design for me because I was impressed with his work.

I'm going to quickly address your points here Travis (jabridesign).

1) I don't think that your index page should go directly into your portfolio. I think that the link labled "work" isn't as intuitive as "portfolio".

2)The arrows for the slide viewer are removed from the slide viewer and it isn't apparent that they operate its navigation. It may be better to automate the scroll on the slide viewer.

3)I expected to be able to click the headings of "service", "contact", and "testimonials".

4)I apologize for the comment on the thumbnails. I think they could be improved by a statement explaining how you met the client's objectives with your design.

5) You are right... the contact page does work... but it is difficult to figure out because it doesn't look like a traditional form page. There is no way of knowing that you can fill a form in there because the imput fields are invisible until you click in the correct place.

BTW, Thanks for the great design you did for my company. Making a decision about a graphic designer is always risky, but I am really glad we chose you. You were easy to work with, and able to create a design that far exceeded our expectations. Success!

Joe
Achieve Display
http://www.achievedisplay.com
Retail Store Fixtures
Food Service Equipment

tmaculate1Fri Jan-30-09 07:39 AM

#7. "RE: I need help keeping people on my website"
In response to Reply # 6

OK this was the craziest thing that happened.

After I posted my initial message and replied to Joe and others, I received an email request a few days later from a guy needing some logo work done. The guy's name was Joe.

Well, I worked with him for a few days on the project and we finally got him setup with a logo that fit nicely with his business. This entire time it never occurred to me that the person I was doing this for was the SAME Joe from this thread! It never clicked because I hadn't came back to this site during the time I was working on his project. I busted out laughing when I came back here and realized it was the same Joe I did the logo for that posted on this same thread.

I gotta say...Joe was EXTREMELY easy to work with and provided me with all of the information I needed to create what I think is a very sharp logo for his business. Success all around indeed!

annalaurabrownSat Jan-24-09 04:07 PM

#5. "RE: I need help keeping people on my website"
In response to Reply # 3

I agree with the others. You need to provide a portfolio of samples with prices. Also what about some articles or content or videos of some kind. People need something else to read or look at, or they will leave quickly. Also what about an opt-in list with an autoresponder. Publish a monthly newsletter and invite people to opt in to receive free information.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

jkundertFri Jan-30-09 06:02 PM

#8. "RE: I need help keeping people on my website"
In response to Reply # 0

very nice site, one thought that i had going there is they say that voice sells, what about a video on the front page introducing you as the designer, that way no matter how long they stay they will get your message. Your site is very nicely layed out, if you don't already you should consider offering web design services as well. check out this site http://logotournament.com may be a good idea for you as if you could win a few of these not only would it put money in your pocket but, you could advertise that as well, would be one heck of a marketing concept if you could say our award winning logo designs won us $ this week and then show the logo's.

Joshua Kundert
Joshua Kundert consulting
http://joshkundertconsulting.com
josh@joshkundertconsulting.com
866-584-6508

j18bravoSat Jan-31-09 03:28 PM

#9. "RE: I need help keeping people on my website"
In response to Reply # 0

Do you have an auto responder? I know that it helps and also put a link in a signature box for all your emails and visit blogs and leave a blog about your site. look at this one http://www.trafficwave.net/lcp/jayneal/DEFAULT/6806
I hope this helps the free information will explain the ways an auto responder can help you.

Jay

Jay Neal
PO Box 247
Nags Head, NC 27959
USA
You want to make money? Go here
http://www.trafficwave.net/lcp/jayneal/gdibusiness/6809

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3354 Previous topic | Next topic