Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3336

Subject: "Please Help" Previous topic | Next topic
eshields1014Mon Nov-15-10 12:49 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Please Help"

I am so lost and confused I don't know where to go or what to do. I work for my dad he plans to retire in the next 3 years so yes already I am starting to worry.

I know for 100% fact that I do not want to work for anyone else I want to work for my self. I really want to find something that makes decent money and something that I can do from home. I would really perfer to...make a product or items VS offer a service but I am open to either end. I don't have to have to leave my home alot if kind of the point.

Please help me come up with some ideas I don't know what to do and I can't think of anything good to do or to start. I thought about a daycare but I am in an apartment and the boyfriend loves children we want 3 of our own someday but doesn't care for the idea of them in our home as a daycare. I can't say I blame him. I also started a dog treat business but that isnt going to make me a living to get buy on so please help!!! I need ideas and suggestions.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Please Help
Jan 06th 2009
Jan 07th 2009
Feb 02nd 2009
Feb 02nd 2009
RE: Need Help with Business
Jan 16th 2009
Jan 24th 2009
Jan 26th 2009
Jan 26th 2009
Jan 26th 2009
Jan 26th 2009
Jan 26th 2009
Jan 26th 2009
Jan 26th 2009
Jan 26th 2009
Feb 04th 2009
Jan 31st 2009
Feb 05th 2009
Feb 06th 2009

VinnyPanicoTue Jan-06-09 05:32 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Please Help"
In response to Reply # 0

It's really hard to give you a lot of good quality ideas when we don't know much about you. For instance, what do you do for your dad? When I first started reading this, I figured maybe you could start to take over his business. Also, what sort of things are you good at? Think about things like computers or consulting. I was going to include some sort of pet sitting business, but I imagine your apartment is too small for a large number of animals.

eshields1014Wed Jan-07-09 06:00 AM

#2. "RE: Please Help"
In response to Reply # 1

Hello, my dad owns a commercial painting company that I have interest in taking over. My apartment is to small to dog sit and we're not allowed to watch dogs, already got in trouble for that. I am not really good at anything. I sort of mess up everything that I do. I am an office assistant. I hate school too. What else can I provide you with to help me with ideas?

ddesmMon Feb-02-09 05:02 PM

#14. "RE: Please Help"
In response to Reply # 2

The first part is "You can do anything you put your mind to" and "make a list of probable things you could make money at"

For example "office assistant"

There is alot of demand for doing office work at home for smaller businesses that can't afford to hire someone part-time, all you need to do is make some business cards(you can get generic business cards at a printing company or stationary store) with your experience, design a contract for at home work and charge a certain rate(You can get generic contracts at your local stationary or online. Be careful that your currently employer doesn't know this although as long as it does not affect your work there should be lots of opportunity to do this if you are good and get referrals. Since you are already employed at this you should be good, build from there. Unless you don't like office work then we have a whole other problem.Taking over the painting business one day would be a good option. Starting your own business with something you currently have skill at will help you with running your own business and gaining skills and your dad in a few months or years may be quite impressed.

"Go for it"

http://www.usabusinessgrowth.com
Free Online Business Growth Resources

eshields1014Mon Feb-02-09 06:50 PM

#15. "RE: Please Help"
In response to Reply # 14

hello, If i was to start the office thing what would I need what would I be able to do? I have a printer cell phone computer but no fax or landline phone.

Please let me know more about this idea

ddesmFri Jan-16-09 09:38 AM

#3. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 0

What kind of work do you do for your dad?
Why do you have to work?
What kind of work do you like to do?
How much time are you going to be able to work with 3 kids in future?

If you can answer these I can give you some ideas.

Daryl Des Marais
http://www.usabusinessgrowth.com

annalaurabrownSat Jan-24-09 04:10 PM

#4. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 3

What about an online business such as:
selling items on ebay
selling info products
affiliate marketing
or online network marketing

Some of these would require you to leave your house on weekends or one evening a week or so to do some parties or presentations or to get items to sell, etc. but they all could be done mostly from home. I am in the candle business and do most of my business online. Info from the website in my sig file.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

eshields1014Mon Jan-26-09 06:45 AM

#6. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 4

I thought about selling items on Ebay but I don't think it would be a big seller such as I don't know where to buy what to sell ect.

Can you please tell me what info products are, also what is affiliate marketing and online network marketing? I wanted to do the candle business but I didnt think that with all the store comp. that it would go anywhere either.

please help!!
dying early of stress

eshields1014Mon Jan-26-09 06:41 AM

#5. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 3

I am an office assistant and not very good at what I do hahaha.
Why do I have to work, because I am young and need to support my self and save for my future with my soon to be husband.
I like to be on the internet, use the computer, make crafts, work from hom, I am not going to have all 3 kids at the same time our plan is to space it out over years not boom boom boom.

InknmoreMon Jan-26-09 01:10 PM

#7. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 5

I think you need to look at Vinny's post, which was the first response. He had some good points.
What interests you? What do you look forward to doing?
There is not a simple answer to this question. For you to enjoy and become really successful with any business, you have to have a passion for it.
I started my own retail store a few months ago. I specialize in remanufactured ink and toner cartridges for your printer. Now I'm not a treehugger, but I've always been interested in saving the enviroment and I've too have always wanted to start my own business.
So I searched and searched for a business that I could start that I found interesting.
Things are going pretty good for me, and there are a bunch of opportunities that have been coming up because of me wanting to learn more about the business and industry.
So do some homework, and think about what really interests you, then if you can narrow it down to a couple of things, try to think of how you can make a business of it.
That would be a good question to ask everyone for their opinion on. Example...I'm really interested in working with animals. That will give everyone here a starting point to suggest things to you.

eshields1014Mon Jan-26-09 01:18 PM

#8. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 7

I did look at his post and I did reply to it. My father is a commercial painter and I have no interest in taking over a construction type business. I like to bake, be crafty, be on the internet, also be at home. I like children and animals. I have looked at tons of craft business ideas and none of them seems like they would go very far. I am looking for ideas and suggestions from anyone and everyone

Again
I like crafts, baking, computers, chatting online, children, animals, I have good computer skills, I have office skills, customer service skills, money skills...

The problem is I can't find something that really interest me because everything i look at I think will not be that great of a business.

I thought about selling stuff online, but don't think that would make enough to make a living off of same with candles and gift baskets. I dont know what service I could offer that does not require me to leave me apartment. I don't want to have a daycare my place is to small.

cribexMon Jan-26-09 01:40 PM

#9. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 8

I Needed Distributors For My Product. So I Came Up With Something To Make Money For Them As A Incentive To Sign-Up. It Is So Simple There Making A Killing And I'm Getting A Lot Of Distributors. If You Need Money You Should Try It And You Can Be A Distributor. http://digitalincome.today.com/

Wayne A Carter
Blast Your Ad For Free
http://All4webs.com/u/v/carterco

VinnyPanicoMon Jan-26-09 03:07 PM

#10. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon Jan-26-09 03:08 PM by VinnyPanico

Here's a few options:

At Home Call Center CSR-
Customer Service calls get routed to your house where you answer them and help the customer find the answer. You may need to learn software for purchase orders. Check out ACD Direct, Alpine Access, and Connect Plus LLC. Typical pay for an at-home Call Center Representative ranges from $7-$10 per hour. With incentive programs, $11-$20, and upwards, may be possible. A part-time agent may earn $5,000 to $20,000 per year, while full time agents are reported to be in the $25,000 to $40,000 per year range.

Customer Service Chat Agent-
Like the "At Home Call Center CSR" except you're operating over a chat service, rather than a phone call.

Webinar Software Training-
With this job, you can work from home (or on-location) and train client's and their employees on various types of software. There are almost no start up costs. All you really need is a remote desktop client. You could work for yourself too. I charge about $100/hr for Webinar Training. Once your name gets around, you can get a lot of clients.

Have you tried an at-home baking business? Caters usually don't do their own baking, so their hire outside companies to you. You could probably do that. The only issue would be getting your kitchen inspected with pets.

Also, look into doing research for starting businesses. Many need people who will look into information and dig up market studies. If you like being on the internet, that might be a good idea.

I hope this helps.

Vinny Panico
CEO, NJ Tech Medics
http://www.NJTechMedics.com
We specialize in everything technological. We love partnering with new and small businesses to set them up with exactly what they need!

InknmoreMon Jan-26-09 03:30 PM

#11. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 8

I don't think you understood what I was saying. I didn't mean you weren't paying attention to Vinny's post, what I was saying, was you need to find a niche in one of the areas that you're interested in. If you can become the expert that people go to, you can get all the business you want.
For example, I started my ink and toner business, now if people have questions about ink or toner for their printers, guess who they call.
Are there certain types of crafts you like to do? Say it's Knitting. Refine this again. What kind of knitting things can you specialize in? Say, table clothes.
I'm not saying this is what you should do, but you need to be very specific, and narrow down your niche.
Maybe checkout this website. It's called Thirty day challenge. It is a program that will help you find a business. I went through it and it definitely helped me. Here's the link. http://www.thirtydaychallenge.com/challenge/45368

eshields1014Mon Jan-26-09 06:12 PM

#12. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 11

But I don't know what I am good at and I can't find anything that really interest me. I have looked for something all over that might spark my interest that I am not thinking about and can't find anything. Jewlery, candles, gift baskets...all running into a dead end..

safelist33Wed Feb-04-09 04:35 PM

#16. "RE: Need Help with Business"
In response to Reply # 12
Wed Feb-04-09 04:38 PM by safelist33

In one of your previous posts you mention a dog treat business. Have you considered expanding that to add other pet items? Also is internet sales and wholesaling to pet shops, groomers and vet's offices a possibility? If you offer a niche product line, that can be operated from home online and by phone.

Sondra

Send Your Ads To 1000's Of Confirmed Buyers Daily For Only $1 Per Month, Spam Free! www.TheSafelistClub.net

j18bravoSat Jan-31-09 03:42 PM

#13. "RE: Please Help"
In response to Reply # 0

I know I was looking for the same thing and I found something that I can do from anywhere in the world and I work in my PJ's or when ever I want. I love it! Check this out get the free informaiton and watch a short video and you will be glad that you did!

http://www.trafficwave.net/lcp/jayneal/gdibusiness/6809

Hope this helps!
Jay

Jay Neal
PO Box 247
Nags Head, NC 27959
USA
You want to make money? Go here
http://www.trafficwave.net/lcp/jayneal/gdibusiness/6809

PepperfireThu Feb-05-09 08:04 AM

#17. "RE: Please Help"
In response to Reply # 0

Have you discussed with your Dad what he is going to do with the business?

It seems to me that if someone were to step in and take over for your dad, post-retirement, you might be able to hang in there and continue to do the same job. But perhaps without having the "working for someone else" stygma over your head. Perhaps your Dad can sell you a smaller piece of the company, thereby assuring your longevity?

I really don't know what else to suggest other than to focus on the dog treats and really make it work.

But then, I wouldn't be the first to suggest that.

Good luck with it.

eshields1014Fri Feb-06-09 05:57 AM

#18. "RE: Please Help"
In response to Reply # 17

He is trying to sell the business but no one is interested is the last I heard him say. He has brought up giving it to me and my boyfriend. I don't really want it. I have no interest in commerical painting construction and my boyfriend doesn't want to work for my dad which I can't blame him a lot of people agree they wouldn't want to work for there significate other parents. It doesn't help that my dad is different that most people so his sense of humor towards my boyfriend is sometimes offensive or his remarks and comments such ask always asking if he has a job when he had the same job for 3 years, so asking how his new job as a vacume salesman is going...When we told him that he makes great money anywhere between 2,000 & 5,000 a month. So it gets old and irrating we can only imagine what he would say if he worked for my dad. Not a road we are willing to go down.

Yeah I am focusing on the dog treats and its going well. But I guess with everything there is some unstableness.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3336 Previous topic | Next topic