Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3305

Subject: "Turn-Arounds" Previous topic | Next topic
CAFSTue Dec-30-08 08:54 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Turn-Arounds"

I have just started a new business and my plan is to focus on helping distressed businesses improve their financing and/or cash flow. I will also help with preparations to file bankruptcy if necessary.

Does this sound like a good idea to you?

Do you have suggestions on other services I can offer?

Where would a business like this go to find clients?

I am also playing around with a wed site design if you get a chance to look at it let me know what you think.

www.castanoaccounting.financial.officelive.com

I know that is a mouthfull of a web address but it is free and right now I am just playing with different ideas and not really pushing traffic to the site.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Ralph Castano
Castano Accounting and Financial Services, LLC

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic

PhanntomMon Jan-19-09 09:00 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Turn-Arounds"
In response to Reply # 0

I did turn-arounds a few years ago and it involves much more than I think you believe it does. I got into it by accident. I had a successful automotive aftermarket consulting firm and after leaving that was contacted by a 35yr old firm that had been headed south for about 7yrs. I was familiar with the company and owner and had even done business with it. After the owner and I discussed it I asked for AP, AR, Sales, and P&L records for the current year and 2 prior. The truth was, after spending 7-days and nights married to a booth in the local Denny's the business really should have just been liquidated, but I was younger and loved a challenge so I met with the owner and told her that my advice would be to talk with a BK attorney, but if she wanted me to try and save it I would. I knew, my reputation in the industry would go a long way with vendors...I knew 95% them personally. I developed a businessplan that would accomplish a turnaround in 24 to 36 months. My deal with the owner was structured such that I was very cheap going in, and she'd be out very little because the business couldn't afford to pay me much if I wasn't going to be effective, however, if I was, I would get mine on the back end. The agreement called for me to have carte blanche...she couldn't override any decision I made. The agreement was very rigid...no wiggle room. Before she signed onto it, I had to present my plan to her CPA, Lawyer, Bank Pres....everyone had to sign off on it, which they did. The 24th month, the company was profitable, debt-free (except for 30-day trade accts) and had modest cash reserves. When I first came in, I met with every employee individually and explained what was going on, and if they wanted to be a part of it, fine, if not, I'd give them a good recommendation. Only 2 left, none were laid off or fired. I did bring in a couple key people that I knew for certain positions but they were going to leave with me when we were done.

Anyway, after that I was going to take 6 months off to recover...it didn't even last a week when I got another call...this became a repeat and the industries began to vary. It was great fun, great money, but it's a young persons sport as it requires looong hours and rapid fire decision making...I was asked once what it was like and the only description I could come up with was "it's like trying to keep 30 corks under water at the same time".

If you want to do consulting, you can do that without going in, but if you're wanting to truely do turnarounds, there's no other way to do it than to go in. There are several "keys" to a successful turnaround that those in the business all know are the secret to success...as an accountant you should already know those.

To answer someones question...I charged a $50k retainer, paid the 1st of the month, and 40% of the profit beginning the 4th consecutive month of profitability and continuing for a period of 5yrs. Also, after the 3rd consecutive month of profitability was my exit...I was off to other things.

If you have any specific questions you can email me and I'll be happy to answer them. I will say, it's all about experience and reputation. My first were within an industry where I was very well known...after that, the people involved always checked my out and found they liked the feedback they got. In the end, I had a kind of company formed. While I served as CEO/COO, I had a gal I'd observed for years and lured her away to serve as Controller, and a guy that was great at both sales and marketing, and managing warehouse functions, so when I took a job, I called these people and they signed right on to the Titanic with me. After the first one, I wouldn't have attempted others if I couldn't get these two people...I respected their input, work-ethic, and I trusted them. If you go through with your plan, you'll find you'll probably need the same people in your organization.

Denny

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3305 Previous topic | Next topic