Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3121

Subject: "Classic Movies video store?" Previous topic | Next topic
themtb2007Sun Nov-02-08 05:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Classic Movies video store?"

I work for a cable provider. due to the digital requirements, many older people and anti cable families (there are a lot of them) have no option but to sign up to companies like mine. Also, many people who are older have dvd players given them by their children. They have learned to use them and rely on christmas gifts and the like to get a collection to match their vcr collections. MANY MANY people retain the vcr players as a result of not being able to easily get the movies they loved from the past.

The movie and music industry seems to think that 16 to 21 year olds is the market to reach for. As a result the quality of movies has diminished. What they stupidly dont understand is that same demographic are bootleggers, and pass info on how to rip from the net.

So they are losing money. As a result of losing money, they GIVE less toward the making of movies. Hence TERRIBLE movies such as the Latest Indiana Jones movie!

Older people (40 and up which includes me) are NOT anti- video store, but we all saw the video store Hanging their hats on new releases and the movies we like were shelved and placed in such a way that they are hard to find.

For example..If I wanted to watch a marx brothers movie.. I have to order it or some other ####

this is the only reason the older movies sit and collect dust. They are a disrespected genre, to a disrespected demographic.

This makes a HUGE hole.

What do you guys think?

remember... dont just base your views on the fact that no one goes to video stores for those movies today. Remember, the selection is HORRIBLE. What I am looking to open is a store that is large as a Hollywood video with a selection that is EASY to read the covers (not shelved sideways, side by side) as if they were new. Located close to a lot of senior living buildings where I live. And also there is a need for african american movies from the past, such as claudine. Black movies usually never hit the shelf once they leave the new release section.

advertising is on WGBO, a oldies station in chicagoland, and going to senior living areas and delivering videos.

I am willing to also sell (not rent) classic radio shows off kiosks like cracker barrel does.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Classic Movies video store?
Nov 04th 2008
Nov 11th 2008
Nov 12th 2008
Nov 15th 2008
Nov 07th 2008
Nov 20th 2008
Dec 06th 2008
Dec 15th 2008
Dec 21st 2008
Dec 24th 2008
Dec 25th 2008

PepperfireTue Nov-04-08 08:57 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 0

Might I suggest a single-view download store? I can't imagine going to a store looking through a bunch of old movies for one to watch. I might do an online search and then download one, though.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

themtb2007Tue Nov-11-08 04:15 PM

#3. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 1
Tue Nov-11-08 04:18 PM by themtb2007

If you say you would download one, you must know where to do so. I dont.
And I work for at&t, and an internet freak as well.

You also have highspeed. Unlike every aol user.
You also are willing to pay for things online.. Another minority group of the internet.
Or you are a person who can bootleg a movie.. Another minority.

I want you to download a movie for me.. its called "mother juggs and speed" and then i want you to get "mohogany" and while we are talking diana ross, how about "lady sings the blues" and then I want you to get "bugsy Malone" and the series of The Nat King cole show, or the Jackson variety show. How about the best of Soul train? Or Soundstage?
How about Christy? And I dont mean steven king.

Hey, how about a box set? Lets get "soap". or 8 is enough, or the school house rock series.

Hey...What about the popular pro women show given to kids in schools.."free to be you and me" with a young michael jackson singing how he likes the way he looks and he doesnt have to change to be liked!

I have seen ALL of these movies in various places, from gas stations, to a bin in the walmart..WHERE PEOPLE ARE IN DROVES picking through the movies of the past 2 decades looking for the gem.

And they find them, and others get the bug when they see it and keep digging past all the brat pack kids movies, and brad pit, eddie murphy, nick nolti movies.

you see, the internet.. As BIG as you might think it to be... is still an unwanted guest in MANY MANY homes for varied reasons, including my own. i myself am about to drop it for a smart phone with limited internet access.
And even of the internet families, only ONE of the two in the home are usually users, and even THEY have limited exposure to whats out there.

TRUTHFULLY SPEAKING.. there is NO NEED AT ALL to rent or Buy ANYTHING with all the free stuff and ripping ability.

Bootleggers and the like have hurt the business, yet they still make movies for the big screen. WHY? because bootlegging sells to internet users and inner city types that likely are not marketed to in the first place. they hurt, but the money is still and will always be there for a long while. Until the quality of movies declines to pixar images and computer generated #### with LOW quality plot lines... Wait, I shouldnt be so HARD on The last indiana Jones movie...

there will be room for My idea.

I will tell you right now, I have ripping skills and have ripped. my wife can get ALL the movies she wants from me.. And you know what she is watching right now? An old dvd of Get smart we fell upon at the library. A Place Barely anyone goes to unless their kids Have a homework assignment.
Just being real.

So its a matter of access, and a HUGE selection. There are distributors, but they are scattered and mixed into the garbage

its like music,

How would you like to look for your genre of music, say..Country, but Hip hop and rap was SO POPULAR that the stores began selling your country Mixed within MOUNTAINS of rap. And when you DID find it, it was few.

Sooner than later, you'd not go.

THAT is why people dont go to the video store anymore.

Most of the new releases are so Poor(especially what they pass off as "horror"), that I dont even remember some of them being in the theater!!!

I really see this idea.

I am making the plan. I talk to people all the time. people that I know are the type that would go. And the type that are internet freaks like myself, Say "why do that through some old movies?" and in the format of the response, it tells me the person is either not very old, or they think today's movies have some redeeming quality, and think will ferrel is funny.

So i suppose my test to see if you would shop at my store would be...

1 Do you think will ferrel is funny

2 Have you ever watched a movie with jean claude Van dam in it and thought is was great.

3 Do you think Bono can sing

(if they say, "no but CHER could.. THEY ARE MY CUSTOMERS!!!LOL)

PepperfireWed Nov-12-08 04:57 AM

#4. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 3

I think that you've made the same mistake about WHO is on the internet as Sarah Palin did when she suggested that bloggers are all a bunch of kids in pajamas using Mom's computer in the basement.

The average age of people on the internet is 37.9

The average age of spending consumer is about the same.

I will iterate that these people are MY age.

We are not bootlegging videos, we are purchasing them and this at a fraction of what it would cost us to rent them.

We are also the average age of those actually shopping on the internet and we have an average personal income is in excess of $40,000 per year.

82% of CD and DVD purchases are done online.

Sir, I do not think you have done your marketing homework.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

themtb2007Sat Nov-15-08 02:16 AM

#5. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 4

the sarah palin thing was exactly what i mean. The POLLS say mccain is close..yada yada.... yet CLEARLY there were people in MASS, signing up to vote... minorities included...Long lines, like never before...

Ok so my eyes were supposed to say "they are both mccain and obama supporters?!?!"

That man had NO SHOT... it was clear as rain that he was gonna get slaughtered!

But the "polls" showed it was close?!

Remember... WHO does the polls... republicans. the media is a Rich organization, and its no secret the republicans tend to be a richer group than the democrats.
As often as the media says that the media is bias for obama.. and praising him, I certainly saw mostly things saying "can he be stopped" by the likes of Fox, cnn, and TALK RADIO (every single day).

The "media" calls others but themselves.."the media". And says the "media" is liberal. Yet EVERY SINGLE STATION I hear on the radio is conservative, with ONE OR TWO democrat views.

You see numbers and polls will say what you want them to. Its no secret that "polls" never seem to "poll" hispanics and blacks, or Middle easterners or muslims unless they WANT the views of us. But a "general" poll such as who is voting for whom... We never are asked, so I guess we are not the "general public".

I say all that to say this... find a poll that has been done about internet use, and i will show you how it cannot possibly be true.

ONE thing is the reason why..

the type that even CLICK polls to do them already tells you something about the user and their intended use of the net.
ONLY people that dont mind being online will click a banner ad or poll.

THAT in itself throws out a huge population..that population is whom i want to sell to.

even polls done on the street... only a certain type will even stand to BE polled.

For example..walk into an all asian community shopping area, and try polling anyone if you are not asian. So if you have a product aimed at asians, where will you get your numbers unless you ARE asian?

I am on the internet talking to people that dont mind the net. as a result, there is not a person on this board that I would market to.

SO i suppose I was kind of stupid for looking on the net to capture the views of Non internet users! LOL

I will tell you this.. video stores and movie houses die because they dont change. people who do.. make it.
there is a movie house called gold class cinema, they charge 40 dollars a person... with only 60 people in each theater... lounge chairs with reclining chairs with foot rests, gourmet food, served to you. THEY pack the place, and you have to order tickets a month early!!

in the mean time..chicago has 3 or 4 normal movie theaters in its boundaries, all the others are in the near burbs

and bootleggers are there.

See what I mean? beverly records...ALL they sell in karaoke music and a LOT of wax records (all old.. including comedy) and have been around for over 25 years! still going strong... NO new music.
Yet the big record shops...lose money to limewire!?

SELL what the big guy wont...

Its supply and demand.. THOUSANDS go to theaters...even MILLIONS in a year around the country...

Try to find a bootleg of just ONE Broadway play on the net.

You cant. the types of people that work at those places and attend and the price make it so that will never happen.

But poor quality movies!? Limewire here it comes!!!!!!

You know i think I have my answer... thanks guys for all your views.. on both sides of the argument... take care...

jswank02Fri Nov-07-08 05:38 PM

#2. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 0

I absolutely love the idea....

Joanna Swank
Marketable Concepts
jswank@marketableconcepts.com
www.marketableconcepts.com

November Sales Special - 99 for 2009 - go to http://www.jswank.com/november.html for these great marketng and business plan deals.

FinallyAWinnerThu Nov-20-08 06:01 PM

#6. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 0

Let us know when you open the first store !!!

How I Bought a Brand New $1.2 Million Dollar Dream Home on Two Rolling Acres Using ONLY Affiliate Commissions Earned While I Was Unemployed
http://SearchPeopleWorld.com/tissa.htm

bizdevSat Dec-06-08 02:36 AM

#7. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 6

I just love your passion. And I certainly don't want to add to the negative comments. But once you write your business plan, a full formal business plan, you will find that the start up cost will be HUGE. And the ongoing monthly expenses are likely going to be much higher than you can imagine. You might discover that the start up costs alone will be from $40,000 - $100,000. The monthly expenses could be easily at least $4,000 per month.

Unless you have that kind of money already saved up or already have access to that much cash, you will need to secure a loan. That alone is going to be a big stumbling block. In order to qualify for an SBA backed loan you need to have at least 20% of the start up cash needs on hand. Then they require collateral and excellent credit plus experinece in the industry.

Unfortunately, passion alone just isn't enough these days. Write up your business plan before you go too far with this. I truly hope youu pull this off. (If you need help with your business plan pls see my site below.)

Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

achievedisplayMon Dec-15-08 03:43 PM

#8. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 0

There are many different types of video store franchises. Call the owners and figure out what they think. There's a reason why netflix killed blockbuster. A dvd player costs $20 now. The problem with the concept is that the longer that this business exists, the less likely it will remain profitable. Seniors are more technological savvy then we give them credit for.

Joe
Achieve Display
http://www.achievedisplay.com
Retail Store Fixtures
Food Service Equipment

MRose902Sun Dec-21-08 03:13 PM

#9. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 8

"There's a reason why netflix killed blockbuster."

That reason is due to something you stated, yourself - "change." The movie renting industry is not dying. It has just taken a change; a much necessary one at that. Now, lets take a step back and look at your idea. You want to open a physical location to rent movies of specialty. Your customer base will be limited to a ~15 mile radius. After witnessing Netflix putting the "Blockbusters" out of business, doesn't this make you worry that your investment may not be a good one? You also made mention of a theatre that plays older movies and serves gourmet dinner, and they happen to do very well. It is my belief that they do well not only because of bringing a new taste of movies to the 'big screen' but also because they have created a full experience for their customer. It's more than just a movie -- It's relaxation in more than just 'stadium seats' and the food must be good! What do you feel you can offer your customers in addition to making these movies available for rent? It would not cost much for Netflix to offer the same type movies that you intend to offer (unless they do already). For someone who has a taste for classics, signing up for Netflix may be an all around better value (as Netflix can afford to offer lower rates, you cannot).

Another thing to consider is time (with respect to age). It is within your belief that younger people have access and desire to watch lame films and burn them for copies. If you plan to target the older generations, what is your long term plan for when they die? Your target market is depleting!

I think part of your general idea is a good one. Bringing back older films. The part I disagree with is that you want to bring it back for the enthusiasts...or even those with a mild interest. You must create an experience for the customer that is unique to their alternatives...and these alternatives would be all types of entertainment.

If I were you, I'd consider opening one of those classic theatres that you mentioned in a different geographic area. I'm 23, Live in Virginia Beach, and I would DEFINITLY attend that type of theatre. I just met someone (21 y.o. male) about 10 minutes ago and discussed this situation and the theatre and he sounded thrilled about such a theatre! It is so easily marketable, however your entire idea, I do not find as being so. Best of luck in whatver you decide to do!

Matt
www.dmerch.com
Raising diabetes awareness

SkidFixLLCWed Dec-24-08 04:48 AM

#10. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 0

I would recommend reading "The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More" by Chris Anderson.

It is a great breakdown on how the digital world is making available the content that you are discussing. It also explains why the movies that you are reffering to are not on the shelf. They are simply not profitable for the traditional retailer to carry.

You are right, there is a market for your type of product, just not in a retail environment. In this book he discusses the statistics behind it.

I too worked for AT&T, and understand that alot of individuals either did not understand the technology to download movies, or had morals and would not burn them illegally, or maybe just could not afford it.

However, I have been to Wal-Mart and seen the movie bins that you are talking about, and they sell for like $5 a piece, about the price of a rental.

I think the idea has potential, and as others have said, a solid business plan should be able to help sort things out. You may have to find an alternative. The Kiosk idea may be something to explore.

Best of Luck.

Wayne Towner
Skid Fix LLC
www.skidfix.com
Making Every Step, A Safe Step

jkundertThu Dec-25-08 03:02 AM

#11. "RE: Classic Movies video store?"
In response to Reply # 0

I would be concerned as an investor if i invested into your business, i live in a town of 100,000 plus people that had about 8 video stores 5 years ago and which 2 of the 8 locations were blockbuster, both block buster location and 4 others have all gone out of business because peoople rent movies from companies like netflicts, or they join a movie club where they can buy movies for cents on the dollar, as well as online auctions. If you open up a physical location i am afraid your over head might be too high with rent, obtaining your inventory, and the other costs of operating the business. I am not saying at all that you have a bad idea, but i think your idea would be best suited for an online business vs a tradition storefront business.

Joshua Kundert
Joshua Kundert consulting
http://joshkundertconsulting.com
josh@joshkundertconsulting.com
866-584-6508

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3121 Previous topic | Next topic