Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3098

Subject: "Consignment Idea" Previous topic | Next topic
SoluGearMon Oct-27-08 09:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Consignment Idea"

I am thinking of starting an Outdoor Gear(ie. Camping, Ski, Snowshoe, etc.)/Sporting Goods (ie Hockey, Lacrosse, Football, etc.) consignment out here in the 'burbs of Denver, CO. I got the idea trying to find a good used bike for less than $1000 after I decided I was going to do my first triathlon. It was hard to find and none of the "Play it again Sports" out here had anything for the true outdoorsmen/adventurer. They mostly have baseballs, hockey gear for kids, some skis/snowboards, and a few beat up golf clubs. What about tents, sleeping bags, decent bikes, kayaks, or any of the other stuff people in COlorado love to do? I know people have this stuff laying around their basement and maybe they don't use it anymore or they want to upgrade. But why not earn some cash in the process? Thats where I would step in. I've been told by a number of people that the only way this could succeed is by offering a good supply of new gear and outdoor clothing in addition to the used/consigned items.
Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this concept?
Eric

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Consignment Idea
Oct 28th 2008
Oct 28th 2008
Oct 30th 2008
Oct 31st 2008
Oct 31st 2008
Nov 04th 2008
Nov 07th 2008
Nov 10th 2008
Nov 10th 2008

PepperfireTue Oct-28-08 09:06 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Consignment Idea"
In response to Reply # 0

Play it again Sports has a working business model. So, your idea is sound... you may simply need to tweak it.

They pay cash up front. I don't know if they do consignment. They also offer a combination of new and used products.

I do know that Play it Again, is franchised. So, before trying to reinvent the wheel, you might want to take a look at a proven business model: http://www.playitagainsports.com

Good luck.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

SoluGearTue Oct-28-08 09:13 AM

#2. "RE: Consignment Idea"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the advice. I do know about PIAS. However, I have heard they don't pay much for the gear people bring in.
The other thing about the ones out here in Denver are that they are mostly kids hockey, baseball, lacrossse, and some ski/snowboards. There isn't much in the way of truly outdoor gear like tents, backpacks, snowshoes, etc. The stores are always dingy and unwelcoming as well.
Maybe I feel I can do it better, even without a proven system in place.
I really appreciate the feedback!!!
Eric Graham

ramonaThu Oct-30-08 07:53 AM

#3. "RE: Consignment Idea"
In response to Reply # 2

I love your idea. I live in New York and my son has decided he wants to learn to ski this winter. I refuse to purchase brand new gear for something he may end up hating. We have been through enough instruments for me to know better.lol.

Anyway, I would say that you should conduct some market research and if that goes over well, you may be onto something. I mean with the economy the way it is, I'm sure there will be more interest in slighly or gently used merchandise than ever before.

Betsof Luck,

Lyza R Rodriguez
http://www.bloggingmyownbusiness.blogspot.com/
http://www.boutiquepublications.com/

PepperfireFri Oct-31-08 04:41 AM

#4. "RE: Consignment Idea"
In response to Reply # 2

I think the stores being dingy and unwelcoming is a nature of the individual stores. I have only been in the one near here and it's no dingier or darker than any other store.

I like the idea of offering the tents, backpacks, snowshoes, etc. Perhaps offering rentals instead of just consignment will help the unproven concept work? You share the rental price with the owner of the equipment??

I'm not sure how that would work, but I have camping equipment in my shed that for the last three years has only been used rarely. renting it out would help me pay for any repairs etc. that it might need.

Just a thought.

Eat more peppers!

SoluGearFri Oct-31-08 05:58 AM

#5. "RE: Consignment Idea"
In response to Reply # 4

I have considered this, but people want to rent out newer gear to try out. A lot of people out here rent outdoor gear too.
I really appreciate the comments.
How is your Pepper Sauce business coming along??
Eric

PepperfireTue Nov-04-08 09:29 AM

#6. "RE: Consignment Idea"
In response to Reply # 5
Tue Nov-04-08 09:32 AM by Pepperfire

It's going well, actually. It's a lot of hard work. Success, even when you've got an out of the world product does not come easy. You really have to want it and be willing to go after it.

Sometimes I think it was a lot easier when it was just starting out, fewer bills, less to juggle.

T

Eat more peppers!

jswank02Fri Nov-07-08 05:48 PM

#7. "RE: Consignment Idea"
In response to Reply # 0

I don't agree I think you would be wiser marketing yourself as a consignment or second use store. I would buy...

Joanna Swank
Marketable Concepts
jswank@marketableconcepts.com
www.marketableconcepts.com

November Sales Special - 99 for 2009 - go to http://www.jswank.com/november.html for these great marketing and business plan deals.

SHOPTMTMon Nov-10-08 12:32 AM

#8. "RE: Consignment Idea"
In response to Reply # 0

Hmmm, sounds terrific! My partner and I started an upscale Home Decor Consignment Store last May and it's really doing well! We ONLY carry Home Decor stuff...no pots-n-pans or clothing! With the economic situation as it is, more folks want to consign than buy, but we are in an area that has mostly clothing Thrift stores, so we don't have much competition.

Now, with the tightening of money, it may be that folks will "cut out" their extra sporting events...but, again there are always folks that HAVE to have a hobby! And, have the money!

I say GO FOR IT! Honestly, I don't know how clothing consignment or thrift stores make their "nut" each month! They would have to sell a TON of $2.00 pieces! That's why the sporting goods store would be better...higher ticket items means higher pay outs!

We also have a lot of "downtime" in the store, so we became Distributors for SendOutCards...have you heard of it? You may want to check it out! Our web site is www.sendoutcards.com/brenscards. You can send out a FREE, REAL greeting card on your computer...on us!

And, once you get your store up & running, you would also have customers that may be interested in SendOutCards! My hope is to sell my Consignment Store next year and just continue with SendOutCards!
I've had a long history of "selling", and being "stuck" inside 6 days a week is tough for me!

I don't know where you live, but if you live anywhere near water...Kayaks, inner tubes, and big floaty things are hard to find at a reasonable price.

So, do you due diligence and start working on that plan...I think it's a good one!

Best of luck to you! And, please let me know what you think of SendOutCards!

Smiles,
Bren

SoluGearMon Nov-10-08 05:20 AM

#9. "RE: Consignment Idea"
In response to Reply # 8

I appreciate the response and input.

Send out Cards looks like a unique idea. How much are you making from it?
The schedule of payouts on the site is somewhat convoluted and confusing, but seems like a neat idea.

Eric Graham

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3098 Previous topic | Next topic