Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3082

Subject: "Recession Proof Small biz ideas" Previous topic | Next topic
carebizMon Feb-16-09 05:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Recession Proof Small biz ideas"

Hello,
I am un-employed and cannot seem to find a job in Houston , Texas. I am thinking on starting a small biz on a shoestring budget. I have worked as an office manager in home health agencies and have experience as a medical biller. I would like to be given some small bis ideas that are recession proof and also have a low investment.
Thanks for you advice.
Gigi

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
This page is in overload mode.[View all]

DBeaversWed Oct-22-08 08:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Oct-22-08 08:15 PM by DBeavers

Gigi,

Not only is the promotional advertising industry one of the most recession proof options for you today, but your contacts with the home health and health care industry could provide you with a ready base of customers.

You're bound to have been exposed to many of the products your company and others used to keep their name and phone number available 24/7 for patients and prospects.

The health care industry is one of the largest consumers for custom-printed promotional advertising.

In addition, the opportunity available to you through Kaeser & Blair allows you to operate as an Independent Agent. Working with limited capital shouldn't be a problem, as their is no fee to become a K & B dealer, and the orders are processed on your customer's ability to pay.

You earn commission (advanced as each order is processed), 50% of the profits on every order, that is paid daily by Direct Deposit.

Houston is an excellent market. I speak from experience as I drive over from Louisiana every 4 to 8 weeks to call on clients I serve across the metro area.

Here's a link to an article I wrote, submitting my business in StartupNations "Top 100 Home-Based Businesses. My chosen category is "Most Recession Proof".

http://www.startupnation.com/homebased100/contestant/599/index.php

If my business seems interesting to you, just complete the opportunity request form on my website, and I'll assemble and send you 4-lbs on info on the K & B dealership.

Dennis

Dennis Bevers
BASSCO, Inc.
Full-time, home-based, self-empolyed since 1987.
Dealers needed-US residents only!

PhanntomSat Oct-25-08 05:54 PM

#2. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Gigi,

Email me privately and I'll give you an idea that one is proven, can be started for less than a hundred bucks and can provide you with a good income. I'm not selling anything, you won't pay anything to me, the hundred bucks is for your gas and phone etc. Also, you're not selling.I know it sounds like one of those emails that fill all our spam folders...it's not.

Denny

Replies to this subthread
RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas, Pepperfire, Nov 04th 2008, #4

jimkcliftonFri Oct-31-08 05:51 AM

#3. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Gigi. I am a realtor in Washington state, but I've had a side business that has generated money every month for 2 years now. Go to www.myhomeoffice.ws for a presentation. It's less than $10 per month total and there's a 7 day free trial so you can check it out fully. Good luck!
Jim

Extra Cash Every Month
www.myhomeoffice.ws
It's a good life...

jswank02Fri Nov-07-08 05:42 PM

#5. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

You can do what I am doing market yourself as an independent contractor. Many companies are downsizing and need contract help.

Joanna Swank
Marketable Concepts
jswank@marketableconcepts.com
www.marketableconcepts.com

November Sales Special - 99 for 2009 - go to http://www.jswank.com/november.html for these great marketng and business plan deals.

simplysunnyTue Dec-30-08 12:47 PM

#6. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Hello Gigi,

My name is Sandra Barnes. I understand that you are looking for a recession proof business. The business that I joined in 2007 is YTB which stands for Your Travel Business. The company was featured on CNN in October 2008 and in INC magazine also. The company is rated as the fastest growing online travel business. Right now, there is a Christmas special for $250 on joining before January 10, 2009. You also have the option of upgrading. Check out my website at www.ytb.com/simplysunnytravelservice and click on Coach's Christmas special in the bottom left hand corner of the page for more details. I don't regret not one minute for joining. SEE YOU AT THE TOP!!

Sandra Barnes
Referring Travel Agent
Phone (228) 243-7547
http://simplysunny.vacationmedia.net
Email: simplysunnytravelsvc@yahoo.com

SmarterToBarterTue Dec-30-08 06:04 PM

#7. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Gigi,
I may have a couple of options for you. I own a small business myself and I am always looking for ways to expand and share the success I am having. Send me an email and lets talk.
MikeF@TBT-Now.com

bizdevFri Jan-02-09 09:30 AM

#8. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Recession proof is a tall order. However, starting an Internet business is certainly doable. It can be started for minimum costs and you can tailor it to your skills. I'm not talking about those get rich quick internet sites, I'm talking about a serious home business. I've written several posts in my blog (below) about how and why this is the best time to start an Internet business.

The economy has thrown Preneuraholics (serial entrepreneurs) into a horrible tail spin. It is almost impossible to start a new business now if it requires major funding. But an Internet business can be a great alternative while we ride out these rough waters.

Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

j18bravoSat Jan-31-09 03:52 PM

#9. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a business that is working great for me and you can start it and make money on a small start up. Here is a link for some free information about it. Sign up and read the information and watch the short video and see if this is for you. Have a great day!

http://www.trafficwave.net/lcp/jayneal/gdibusiness/6809

Jay

Jay Neal
PO Box 247
Nags Head, NC 27959
USA
You want to make money? Go here
http://www.trafficwave.net/lcp/jayneal/gdibusiness/6809

safelist33Wed Feb-04-09 04:44 PM

#10. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you considering becoming a medical biller as an independent contractor? Entrepreneur Magazine has a series of start up guides and one of them is for that specialty, here's the link: http://www.smallbizbooks.com/c/s/00025.html?id=Rk9q5Ueo

Sondra

Send Your Ads To 1000's Of Confirmed Buyers Daily For Only $1 Per Month, Spam Free! www.TheSafelistClub.net

Nate MorganSat Feb-07-09 11:04 PM

#11. "Deleted message"
In response to Reply # 0

No message

Funraiser 1.0 www.2url.org/188550

phillrwTue Feb-10-09 11:13 AM

#12. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

How would you like a business that is already in place. It is a very small start up cost and has never had a down quarter. There are currently over 165,000 owners right now. To start your own business today is very hard. With this business you have an immediate online presence, also we will help you get your business running before you ever put a dime into it. Contact me if you would like to invest one hour of your time to find a solution to your finanicial fears and free up time to spend as you like. This business is intended to start at 12-15 hours per week.

Bases Loaded marketing

brimakesmoneyFri Feb-13-09 10:49 AM

#13. "Deleted message"
In response to Reply # 0

No message

<b><center> find out how you can make $5000 a week like i do! Click Here Now</b></center>

daretodreamMon Mar-16-09 01:58 AM

#14. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Gigi;

First is did you like your office manager position? or Medical Billing?

If the answer is no, I would take this opportunity while you're out of work to find out what you do like to do.

If your answer is yes, then what did you like about them?

Working in the medical field is still recession proof, you just need to find your niche. For example if you liked working for home health agencies there are many areas for you to expand on here. At one point or another everyone is going to need, or require some type of home health care. With all the contacts you have in this field you could start your own placement agency. Join with local senior centers in your area to get clients and hold seminars on topics you're familiar with.

Medical Billing is a whole different scenario. Especially with rumors going on about government subsidized health care lurking in our future. I would not advise you to work a career around this until all the kinks get worked out.

Most important is never give up....you only fail if you quit.

Good Luck.

phillrwMon Mar-16-09 11:14 AM

#15. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Are you still looking? Are you serious?

Bases Loaded marketing

auroraWed Mar-18-09 08:20 AM

#16. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Sound like there are a lot of people hoping to pitch you their home biz ideas. Hard to sift through what is legit or a scam. Here's a book on starting a home biz on a shoestring on Amazon that you can probably find at your local library: http://www.amazon.com/Shoestring-Entrepreneurs-Guide-Home-Based-Businesses/dp/0312242832

Best wishes,
Aurora

www.innoventum.com/bizgrant.html - Discover how to obtain Free Government Grant Money.

vortex2000Fri Mar-20-09 11:51 AM

#17. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

I would go with the last posters idea. Go to amazon and get the book. There are a lot of scams out there. You have to be very careful to what business opp you join.

Discover How I Make $3500 A Week Working From Home. This System Works! Want To Join Me?

RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas, j18bravo, Mar 20th 2009, #18

charmedFri Mar-20-09 06:13 PM

#19. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

It's amazing how great micro businesses do during a recession as compared to big firms.

While you may not have found a JOB working in your field you probably can start your own business doing exactly what you were doing previously. The reason? As businesses down size they still have to do a job, so they still need someone to do the office managing, the billing, etc.. but they can't hire someone out right, instead they hire a TEMP or an independent contractor.

That is where you come in, you market yourself as an Independent Contractor in the field you have experience in, Medical Billing, and you do that job for several different offices from home.

Since you've been an Office Manager it is likely you could also market yourself as a general virtual assistant. The start up cost would be very low. You'd need at a minimum a small website (you could get one free with wordpress with low hosting costs of about 5 dollars a month), a logo, a business name/license, that would be a couple hundred dollars.

Computer, business cards, etc..

So I'm curious, did you find something since your post?

Stephanie

RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas, Teri30377, Mar 25th 2009, #20

Teri30377Wed Mar-25-09 04:37 AM

#21. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed Mar-25-09 04:48 AM by Teri30377

Hi Gigi, I don't know where my first post went so here it is again.

Recently I came across several insurance companies selling Medicare Advantage and Medigap Insurance. They look for individuals to sell these plans to seniors over the age of 65 who have qualified for Medicare. They don't always look for people who have insurance backgrounds or licenses per'se, and the jobs are usually on a commission basis. You would in a sense be running your own business under the umbrella of company product and a company that supports and educates you. If you go to Career Builder or Monster you can see some of the insurance companies advertising, check under insurance/health care/senior services.

With your background in medical billing I'm sure that you know first hand the nightmare that seniors must face when making the right decisions to get the best and with most coverage. And let me ask, who is submitting the majority of those medical claims if not seniors.

Here are some statistic for you to think about when researching RECESSION PROOF businesses.

Teri30377Wed Mar-25-09 04:48 AM

#22. "RE: Recession Proof Small biz ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

Dang it! You would think it was a Monday or something. My second post did not post everything that I wanted to say so here is the message again in full. I guess that I want to be heard on this subject.

Hi Gigi,

Recently I came across several insurance companies selling Medicare Advantage and Medigap Insurance. They look for individuals to sell these plans to seniors over the age of 65 who have qualified for Medicare. They don't always look for people who have insurance backgrounds or licenses per'se, and the jobs are usually on a commission basis. You would in a sense be running your own business under the umbrella of company product and a company that supports and educates you. If you go to Career Builder or Monster you can see some of the insurance companies advertising, check under insurance/health care/senior services.

With your background in medical billing I'm sure that you know first hand the nightmare that seniors must face when making the right decisions to get the best and with most coverage. And let me ask, who is submitting the majority of those medical claims if not seniors.

Here are some statistic for you to think about when researching RECESSION PROOF businesses.

--2020. 1 in 6 Americans will be over the age of 60.
--2050. On a GLOBAL scale, there will be 2 billion people over the age of 60.
--Whose a boomer? Everybody seems to have a different idea on this so I'll take this statistic from my Certified Senior Advisor manual. "Boomers 1946-1964. By 2011, the oldest boomer will reach age 65 and, after that point, 10,000 boomers will turn 65 every day".

Here is my idea for a RECESSION PROOF BUSINESS. You have low overhead, and you have a company and training supporting you, and you run like your own business. Not to mention there are lots of potential clients out there who HAVE to have supplemental insurances. Good luck to ya.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3082 Previous topic | Next topic