Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3018

Subject: "Bed and Breakfast biz idea" Previous topic | Next topic
toneloc007Wed Sep-17-08 03:24 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Bed and Breakfast biz idea"

I recently got in touch with my uncle and aunt that have property in Puerto Rico. They both have houses there on prime property, the scene is unbelievable. My uncle is selling his house and my aunt is leasing hers. Both homes are huge. Perfect size for a bed and breakfast minus a few adjustments. Both homes are practically new. I would like to see if I could get some feedback on this idea because I'm really interested in pursuing this. I think it would be a lucrative venture because I know the area there. Thoughts please....Thank You

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Bed and Breakfast biz idea
Sep 18th 2008
Oct 04th 2008
Oct 25th 2008

BizsellerThu Sep-18-08 02:08 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Bed and Breakfast biz idea"
In response to Reply # 0

Where in PR is this? Have you ever hosted strangers overnight? What are your skills?

toneloc007Sat Oct-04-08 01:22 PM

#2. "RE: Bed and Breakfast biz idea"
In response to Reply # 1

This would be in Culebra, which is a very small island that is very secluded and very laid back. It has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. It the past several years has been getting alot of tourism or more or less people looking to enjoy being away from the craziness of tourists. As far as my background, I currently work at a 5 start hotel in Jacksonville in the engineering department. I deal with residents day in and day out. I have also owned my own service business, so dealing with customers was daily.

PhanntomSat Oct-25-08 06:20 PM

#3. "RE: Bed and Breakfast biz idea"
In response to Reply # 0

Check with the management of the property you are employed with now. I did a turnaround on a small niche property in Hollywood and we had the same problem most B&B's have. Too few rooms to spread advertising and promotion costs across. If and X by X ad in the Hotel Directory costs $2,000, it costs both my place with 40 rooms and the Holiday Inn across the street with 750, the same $2,000. So, it costs me $50/room, and the HI $2.50. While it's promotional costs that it's more apparent in, it does affect any fixed cost that applies to the property as a whole. Your purchase cost for the property, interest on the mortgage, taxes etc. all are distorted by the property size.

Ideally, given that it's relatives, you might go to them with your plans and see if they would both give you a short-term lease on the property...say 2yrs. to see if you can make it work. Many hotel/motel properties are leased by management companies that usually work on a fixed lease amount, or a profit split with the owner of the property. This isn't the only way, it's just one way and probably a way I would go about it.
Good luck

Denny

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #3018 Previous topic | Next topic