Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2957

Subject: "Cake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please" Previous topic | Next topic
dwcrosby1Wed Sep-03-08 07:40 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Cake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please"

Ok, here goes.

A friend of mine and I decorate cakes for family members and friends. Everyone tells us we should open up a cake business. The county we live in does not allow us to bake cakes and sell them out of our homes (legally) due to zoning laws. Since this is something the two of us would do together without family finances we came up with an idea. We are always researching the new and up to date trends for decorating cakes, trying to create that WOW factor. Practically everytime we do this, we have to oder cake supplies on-line because there is no one in Charlotte that sells those itmes that are more than the average decorating supplies.

So, we were thinking maybe we can try to get a very, very small store/store front/space with a very, very small commerical kitchen, sell those supplies that we know are not available locally. In addition to that maybe we can sell our 3 or 4 most popular signature specialty cakes (no decorations) until we can see fit to expand into more of the decorating side of buisness. Decorating takes time and initially we thought it would be best to sell the specialty cakes with out all the additional frills until later. If we are having trouble finding cakes supplies locally we are thinking there has got to be more cake decorators/hobbiest that feel the same way. It would be so nice to be able to go get supplies locally without having to pay shipping or extra shipping if the item is needed for a special occassion and time is critical.

What do you all think???

I would really like some feedback and anyone that has a business in Charlotte, NC may have some suggestions as well.

Thanks,
Sina

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Cake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please
Sep 03rd 2008
RE: Cake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please
Sep 03rd 2008
Sep 04th 2008
Sep 04th 2008
Nov 07th 2008

hostingdivaWed Sep-03-08 09:13 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Cake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Sina-

From what you've described, the distinguishing feature you and your friend have is that you decorate cakes really well. Having a store that sells the supplies isn't taking advantage of the talent you already have. It may be a better idea for you to concentrate on selling your cake decorating skills rather than opening a store to sell supplies.

Also, realisticly, the market for decorated cakes is probably bigger than it is for decorating supplies. So, you're more likely to succeed.

Good luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

dwcrosby1Wed Sep-03-08 12:48 PM

#2. "RE: Cake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please"
In response to Reply # 1

>Hi Sina-
>
>From what you've described, the distinguishing feature you and
>your friend have is that you decorate cakes really well.
>Having a store that sells the supplies isn't taking advantage
>of the talent you already have. It may be a better idea for
>you to concentrate on selling your cake decorating skills
>rather than opening a store to sell supplies.
>
>Also, realisticly, the market for decorated cakes is probably
>bigger than it is for decorating supplies. So, you're more
>likely to succeed.
>
>Good luck!
>
>~~~~~~~~~~~

We really thought (since we found it hard to get certain supplies locally), there had to be others like us that felt the same way. I see your point. Thanks again for you input.

PepperfireThu Sep-04-08 07:09 AM

#3. "RE: Cake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please"
In response to Reply # 2

I disagree offhand with anyone suggesting that selling the supplies will deter from the cake decorating business.

In fact, I actually believe that the two will go hand in hand.

Just because YOU can decorate a cake, doesn't mean you don't want to have someone else decorate a cake for your occasion!

I personally think the two projects compliment each other very well AND think you might even want to offer courses in cake decorating as well!

There is a shop here in town that specializes in selling cake decorating supplies but also offers cake decorating services. (of course they also have regular and professional kitchen supplies as well).

If you have the location and the traffic, you might just have a winning idea.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

dwcrosby1Thu Sep-04-08 02:02 PM

#4. "RE: Cake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please"
In response to Reply # 3

>I disagree offhand with anyone suggesting that selling the
>supplies will deter from the cake decorating business.
>
>In fact, I actually believe that the two will go hand in
>hand.
>
>Just because YOU can decorate a cake, doesn't mean you don't
>want to have someone else decorate a cake for your occasion!
>
>I personally think the two projects compliment each other very
>well AND think you might even want to offer courses in cake
>decorating as well!
>
>There is a shop here in town that specializes in selling cake
>decorating supplies but also offers cake decorating services.
>(of course they also have regular and professional kitchen
>supplies as well).
>
>If you have the location and the traffic, you might just have
>a winning idea.
>
>Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
>Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
>Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
>http://www.peppermaster.com
>
>Eat more peppers!

Thanks Tina . I submitted the same idea to a mentor from the SBA and she suggested I start working on the business plan to see what it will take to do this. I am going to focus on that, get feedback and tweak as needed. Then I will talk with her again to see what will be the next best step.

jswank02Fri Nov-07-08 05:52 PM

#5. "RE: Cake Decorating Supplies Store/Specialty Cakes-Charlotte NC Need Feedback Please"
In response to Reply # 0

Here in South NJ we have had a store like that for over 20 years. Its a great success and offers a variety of products.

Joanna Swank
Marketable Concepts
jswank@marketableconcepts.com
www.marketableconcepts.com

November Sales Special - 99 for 2009 - go to http://www.jswank.com/november.html for these great marketing and business plan deals.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2957 Previous topic | Next topic