Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2863

Subject: "Starting a Catering Business" Previous topic | Next topic
ltlbppMon Aug-11-08 10:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Starting a Catering Business"

I am looking to start a catering business. Its actually a simple concep. Cooking burgers, Chicken, Hot Dogs, and Bratwurst on site on a grill. I need advise on start-up costs, Licensing and basically anything I need to get started. All help will be appreciated

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Starting a Catering Business
Aug 12th 2008
Aug 17th 2008
Sep 03rd 2008
Sep 04th 2008
Aug 14th 2008
Aug 17th 2008
Aug 17th 2008
Aug 31st 2008
Nov 08th 2008
Nov 07th 2008

PepperfireTue Aug-12-08 02:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Starting a Catering Business"
In response to Reply # 0

I recommend contacting City hall to find out what the laws are regarding food companies in your area. We food people are regulated to death, for obvious reasons and it's worse when you throw meat into the mix.

I know off-hand you will need at least three permits, one for handling and processing meat, another for selling off-site and another, what we call a "keep cold" certificate.

You will be inspected BEFORE you are allowed to be licensed for both the meat and the keep cold certs. (At least you are here).

In order to do "Barbecue", you will need an industrial barbecue. Contact Bull, they've got experts who will know exactly which machine you should use... And may have a unit that you can lease until you make enough to buy one. They come with built in sinks and running hot and cold water (you fill tanks) and they fit into the tailgate of a pickup or can be a trailer in and of themselves. Either way, they're entirely stainless steel and have to be scrubbed spotless EVERY time you use them.

I often think, the simpler the concept, the more difficult the setup.

Good luck with it.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

ltlbppSun Aug-17-08 10:30 AM

#5. "RE: Starting a Catering Business"
In response to Reply # 1

Bull?

PepperfireWed Sep-03-08 05:22 AM

#7. "RE: Starting a Catering Business"
In response to Reply # 5

Yes, Bull: http://www.bullbbq.com

Eat more peppers!

ltlbppThu Sep-04-08 12:04 PM

#8. "RE: Starting a Catering Business"
In response to Reply # 7

Thank You so much. I will check out their site.

SmarterToBarterThu Aug-14-08 05:57 PM

#2. "RE: Starting a Catering Business"
In response to Reply # 0

I would join a local Trade Exchange. You may be able to trade for some of your equipment and advertising. Email me if you need help finding a reputable excahnge in your area or need more info on how they work.

MikeF@TBT-Now.com

hostingdivaSun Aug-17-08 09:08 AM

#3. "RE: Starting a Catering Business"
In response to Reply # 0

Before you start looking into licensing and such, it seems you should survey your market as well as the competition. Will people in your area be willing to pay for your services? If so, how much? You can get a good sense of what people are willing to pay by calling other local catering companies.

Also, this may sound a bit harsher than I intend but, when I think of catering, I don't think of burgers and hot dogs -- that seems like "street" food and not "catering." Additionally, that is food that I can cook myself - why would I hire you? This is not to say that your idea will not work and I certainly do not mean to discourage you. I just think that you should do PLENTY of market research before looking into spending money on getting licensing and equipment.

Good luck!!

~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

ltlbppSun Aug-17-08 10:28 AM

#4. "RE: Starting a Catering Business"
In response to Reply # 3

There are 2 companies already doing this in this area. I have worked for one in the past.We are in a warmer climate that does not have harsh winters so this idea works year round. With the professional sports teams in the area, Tailgaiting is a big thing here and companies don't have the equipment or the time to do this on thier own. Summers bring company picnics and get togethers. This being Music City USA, the recording industry does a lot of this kind of thing.

As far as pricing goes, I have looked at the competition and know what they charge. I'm well aware that I have to think about licensing and equipment and food costs. Not to mention advertising. This is not anything I havent thought about.

FinallyAWinnerSun Aug-31-08 02:18 PM

#6. "RE: Starting a Catering Business"
In response to Reply # 4

What are you going to do for equipment costs? Depending on how good your credit is you may look into leasing your equipment.

One of the more reputable leasing companies out there is Direct Capital. I worked for them years back and know they do a good job.

Like any leasing company they will skin you alive if you have weak credit. Unlike banks however with most leasing companies you can negotiate the lease rate they quote you. So don't forget to haggle the rate if you get that far.

Best of luck!

How I Bought a Brand New $1.2 Million Dollar Dream Home on Two Rolling Acres Using ONLY Affiliate Commissions Earned While I Was Unemployed
http://SearchPeopleWorld.com/tissa.htm

PepperfireSat Nov-08-08 07:08 AM

#10. "RE: Starting a Catering Business"
In response to Reply # 4

It's too bad you are not local to us, I would love to do some co-marketing projects with a company such as this.

Let me know if I can help in any way with marketing ideas, etc.

Also... if you want some great ideas for product support, I can help there as well. You're one step out of my industry.

T

Eat more peppers!

jswank02Fri Nov-07-08 05:52 PM

#9. "RE: Starting a Catering Business"
In response to Reply # 0

Depends on your state and city?

Joanna Swank
Marketable Concepts
jswank@marketableconcepts.com
www.marketableconcepts.com

November Sales Special - 99 for 2009 - go to http://www.jswank.com/november.html for these great marketing and business plan deals.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2863 Previous topic | Next topic