Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2862

Subject: "Which way do I steer the course?" Previous topic | Next topic
findingdetailsMon Aug-11-08 10:10 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Which way do I steer the course?"

Okay, over time I have some different ideas and with the economy not being in a wonderful place, and my unwillingness to jump ship at my current job and my fear of failure I have always managed to talk myself right out of my ideas.

I don't want to do that anymore!I realize that there is more out there, but if I am unwilling to try it and constantly put it on a backburner while I go through the motions, my life will have passed me by and I will have a pile of regrets,and could've's, should've's.

I am revisiting some of my ideas and I would like some feedback, so here goes:
1) Virtual Assistant/Secretarial type business: focusing on Human resource tasks, health care related business, or on general secretarial work
2) Event planner/party planner
3) Cleaning business/Organizing (not sure how passionate I am about cleaning part) - I know I can manage well and be organized and detail oriented in this business.

These are the ones that seem to top the list for me. Keep in mind I live in a rural area so that is one of my obstacles that I find hard to overcome, I want to be sure I have enough business to make a go of it. I have a limited availablility of capital to spend that is why I am steering towards a service business.

So pick away at my ideas and give me so feedback. I have mgmt, clerical, healthcare, optical, hospitality, organization, food service, and retail experience to name a few.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Which way do I steer the course?
Aug 12th 2008
Aug 18th 2008
Aug 18th 2008
Aug 25th 2008

PepperfireTue Aug-12-08 06:30 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Which way do I steer the course?"
In response to Reply # 0

I would be remiss if I were to tell you that jumping ship and starting your own business is easy. And I would be the last person to tell you to quit your J.O.B. to do so.

I spent a full year working my business before we were making enough to support both myself and my husband so that I could do what I'm doing full time.

The best advice is to figure out what you like, what you're good at and make a business out of that. Work at it part-time until it can support you and then jump ship.

All of the ideas that you mention are good for home businesses. Whether or not they are good for you, only you can decide.

You might want to consider finding yourself a VA or VA firm who needs someone with your skills and work under them to see if you like working that way.

Plan a few events or parties, see if you like it.

If you aren't passionate about cleaning, don't event think about cleaning and/or organizing. You'd be surprised what organizers are asked to "organize", when the customer really means clean.

What are your hobbies... Perhaps there is a business there?

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

bluemoon72Mon Aug-18-08 07:11 AM

#2. "RE: Which way do I steer the course?"
In response to Reply # 0

>I am revisiting some of my ideas and I would like some
>feedback, so here goes:
>1) Virtual Assistant/Secretarial type business: focusing on
>Human resource tasks, health care related business, or on
>general secretarial work
>Keep in
>mind I live in a rural area so that is one of my obstacles
>that I find hard to overcome, I want to be sure I have enough
>business to make a go of it. I have a limited availablility
>of capital to spend that is why I am steering towards a
>service business.

Hi there--if you think about it, a virtual business would make the most sense for you--in cyberspace, your audience is unlimited. As a virtual assistant myself, I'm partial to the VA choice. Please take a look at IVAA.org, VAnetworking.org, AVirtualResume.com, RemoteProfessionals.com, and VirtualAssistantRevolution.com for more information on this career.

You can start part-time while working your current job, and just sock away every bit of income for when you're ready to go full-time.

Good luck!

Jennifer Nagel
www.TheAuthorAssistant.com

bizdevMon Aug-18-08 02:29 PM

#3. "RE: Which way do I steer the course?"
In response to Reply # 0

Since each of the 3 businesses that you mentioned are very competitive and popular right now, you should research your direct competition.

I too would not suggest quitting your day job until you have some clients under your belt and have plenty of money saved up to get you through the early months. Do some work on the side, maybe try each of your ideas until you know which one you want to pursue full time.

Good luck!
Sylvia
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz
Startup & Biz Plan Help
http://smallbusinessstartup.biz/blog

lisahopson1Mon Aug-25-08 04:33 PM

#4. "RE: Which way do I steer the course?"
In response to Reply # 0

Have you thought about starting a network marketing business. With a network marketing business you only need a phone and a pc. There is always support via teleconferencing among other avenues and you meet a lot of people. You can keep your day job while you network market.

I am envolved in one that markets essential telecommunication services, no lotion no potions.

lisahopson1@comcast.net

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2862 Previous topic | Next topic