Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2690

Subject: "Personal Safety Products" Previous topic | Next topic
PATTYCHERRYTue Jul-01-08 12:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Personal Safety Products"

My father has just started in the personal safety business selling stun guns, pepper spray etc....
I believe every woman and teenage girl should have some king of self defense product.
We even have lipstick pepper spray. All the pepper spray also uses an indentifing dye.

He doesn't have a website yet, he wants to make sure this will take off.
Does anyone have ideas on how he can market these products?
The product are not illegal here in GA.

Do any of you/family have pepper spray or stun gun?

Men, would you buy something like this for the women in your life?

Any input or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Personal Safety Products
Jul 02nd 2008
Jul 02nd 2008
Jul 02nd 2008
Jul 02nd 2008
RE: Personal Safety Products - suggestion and inquiry
Jul 04th 2008

annalaurabrownWed Jul-02-08 02:18 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Personal Safety Products"
In response to Reply # 0

This may seem a bit crazy but I saw an article in my local newspaper about this a while back but there is actually a home party company selling these products at home parties. why not try selling them that way? Also what about becoming a public speaker and speaking about self defense related topics and selling them at your speeches. I personally don't carry them and I actually can't because I am not allowed to have them with me at work.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

PATTYCHERRYWed Jul-02-08 04:10 AM

#2. "RE: Personal Safety Products"
In response to Reply # 1

The home party idea is what my dad wants to start. I used to sell tupperware and avon so he called on me to help him get this going.

It just seems odd having a home party about these things, but the times are changing. I'm wondering if inviting the men is a good idea?

I'd like to make a list of reasons people should have a personal safety product.
I'm sure one of the situations I mention would be close to home for many women.

Some of the reasons are for college students, shift workers, date rape, women leaving a club at night, the mall, car jackers, broken down on the side of the road.
A man on the computer was searching where he could by pepper spray because his wife was approached by a homeless man.

Can y'all think of other senerios?

Thank you all for your feedback.

saltedWed Jul-02-08 09:36 AM

#3. "RE: Personal Safety Products"
In response to Reply # 2

I think what was mentioned about offering to give a free class and then have the products out on a a table to sell afterwards would be a great way to get business. I'm sure there would be plenty of businesses, colleges, maybe community centers or YMCA or something like that that would be very excited to have that as a free one day class to offer. After presenting why people need those products, I don't see why you wouldn't automatically get sales from it.

Mindy Lepp
http://www.saltedwebsites.com/
$50 off your website if you mention Idea Cafe!!

ElleBlueWed Jul-02-08 04:08 PM

#4. "RE: Personal Safety Products"
In response to Reply # 2

I think the parties are a good idea, plus giving talks at local community centers and college campuses.

Best Regards,
Elle

www.grafusion.biz

If you plan to open a business, visit my blog. Sound advice for the entrepreneur.
www.ellescorner.com

jabFri Jul-04-08 06:42 AM

#5. "RE: Personal Safety Products - suggestion and inquiry"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow, the market and obvious need is sure there for this.

Is there a guarantee with the products you offer? I think that's important for consumers, especially if you are offering them to a company to use for their employees.

I'd like to suggest just one niche in the market of potential customers that would be ongoing:

My daughter is a barista for a large coffee chain. They have pepper spray there for employees should a customer (or non-customer) get agressive or improper/dangerous. Many times these small coffee shops are in out-of-the-way places, creating a perfect scenario for a bad guy or anyone wanting to commit a crime. Also, many are small, employing just one barista per shift. This creates a vulnerable scenario for the baristas. I think all the coffee shops have this for protection...especially the drive-through establishments. If they don't, they should!!

I know as a mother I was relieved to know that they had a pepper spray under the counter for my daughter. They periodically have "stalkers" and wierdos that hang out nearby watching their shop, etc. Very odd behavior and very scarey. They've had to call the police occassionally, but the police say they can't do anything until something bad happens!!

Regarding college students...yes, this same daughter is heading out to a large university this fall, and yes, I want her to have a reliable pepper spray. I think the target for marketing here is the PARENTS of college students. In fact, I'd like info about your product...why is it a good choice for my daughter? It would be a great send-off gift. Thanks.

Good Luck!

jab

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2690 Previous topic | Next topic