Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2319

Subject: "Google or Yahoo Marketing...?" Previous topic | Next topic
bencWed Apr-02-08 06:48 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Google or Yahoo Marketing...?"
Wed Apr-02-08 07:13 AM by benc

I have a business I started about a month ago http://BigEffinNuts.com we sell gifts and t-shirts etc, and I am using Google adwords for my advertising. Does anyone have a preference between Google and Yahoo search marketing, and please tell me why if you have one, I want to get the most for my dollar. Thanks guys

BENC

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
This page is in overload mode.[View all]
Subthread pages: Top | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16

PhanntomMon Apr-07-08 07:12 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#3. "RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Benc

In my company we use Google, Yahoo, MSN, and Enhance. Between them all we spend about $6k to $7k/month. Objectively speaking, Enhance doesn't bring us much traffic at all. In terms of traffic they would rank in the following order. Google, Yahoo, MSN. I review our bids everyday and depending on the margins of a given product adjust the bids to fall in the 3rd or 4th spot. I've found this to be the most cost effective slot for our products. In terms of traffic quality, MSN, with Google and Yahoo tying. By quality traffic I'm referring to orders. We used a program that allows us to see who's on the site in real-time, their city, state, and country. In addition, it shows us where they came from, what they queried, how long they were there and what pages they looked at, what browser they use etc. It's really cheap for all that it offers and helps us tailor our advertising...it tells us pretty much everything but what they're having for lunch.
Denny

Denny

Replies to this subthread
RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?, outlook, Apr 10th 2008, #4
      RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?, benc, Jul 22nd 2008, #5
           RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?, kkrie616, Aug 07th 2008, #6
                RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?, annalaurabrown, Aug 11th 2008, #7
                     RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?, kkrie616, Aug 12th 2008, #9

outlookThu Apr-10-08 06:45 AM

#4. "RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu Apr-10-08 06:46 AM by outlook

If you have the money to spend then use it. But be aware when I was paying for AdWord, people were signing up 3 -4x's a day as "Referred by Google" and would leave immediately after signing up. When I stopped the costly ads, no more referred by Google. I'm not that familiar with Yahoo, but I don't use them for marketing, but they crawl my site frequently. I've also received many user from them.

Do a keyword comparison, and see if yours is matching the competition.

You might post this question under marketing also.

BTW, the business name alone will draw lots of visitors out of mere curiosity. I'm sure you'll get lots of "word-of-mouth" visitors.

www.PublicStuffOnline.com
Buy.Sell.Network
Working together makes life easier.

bencTue Jul-22-08 10:37 AM

#5. "RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?"
In response to Reply # 4

Hi All
I did some google ads and they went pretty well, but I am getting alot of hits also using Microsoft's Adcenter on MSN, you get alot more bang for the buck. Just thought I would post my results and thank everyone for their tips.

Big Effin Nuts
http://www.bigeffinnuts.com

kkrie616Thu Aug-07-08 09:42 PM

#6. "RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?"
In response to Reply # 5

I would recommend spending some time changing your existing site to improve the layout and code using Search Engine Optimization or SEO techniques. You should target the copy or content of your site with keywords. When you type in keywords your site will show up in the search engines if the SEO is done properly. You should also consider using a pure CSS layout and make sure the site complies with the latest CSS standards. After you reformat your website and get good SEO placement with the search engines than and only than pay for the marketing. Until this is done you are only wasting your money.

Kevin
Business Xposure
www.businessxposure.com

annalaurabrownMon Aug-11-08 01:32 AM

#7. "RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?"
In response to Reply # 6

I would also be careful. Both can be a waste of money. I have also had good luck with miva.com This is a content only ad service so the ads appear only on related content pages.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

kkrie616Tue Aug-12-08 04:51 PM

#9. "RE: Google or Yahoo Marketing...?"
In response to Reply # 7

I am a little puzzled how you could say that SEO is a waste of money; fist off it really does not cost that much. I have many clients who never even showed up in Google or Yahoo but now are on the fist one or two results pages every time. I have had clients whose online sales have increased well over 600% just from implementing a site that complies with the latest CSS standards. If you ask me the website should be properly built, if it is your chances of showing up toward the top are heavily increased. So I say again if the site is properly built there is little reason to pay for the Google and Yahoo services.

Kevin
Business Xposure
www.businessxposure.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2319 Previous topic | Next topic