Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2254

Subject: "ASAP - answer, please! Is this "legal"??" Previous topic | Next topic
lilly4Wed Mar-19-08 05:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"ASAP - answer, please! Is this "legal"??"

I am in the process of starting an Errand Service, however, while I am working on my business plan, making call after call to insurance companies for quotes, doing online research, etc., I am also thinking of doing something in the meantime until my business is offically a "business".

I was told by an insurance agent that he personally knows a woman who does grocery shopping for elderly. She didn't get insurance, just started by word-of-mouth, and basically goes to Giant Eagle about 10 times a week, then delivers groceries to the elderly, and gets paid for it.

What if I placed a notice at some local senior citizen complexes and centers, offering to do this same thing? I would not even have to enter someone's home or apartment, just pick up orders, deliver the goods to the door, and get paid.

Input?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: ASAP - answer, please! Is this "legal"??
Mar 19th 2008
Mar 21st 2008
Apr 01st 2008

babyjoy214Wed Mar-19-08 05:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: ASAP - answer, please! Is this "legal"??"
In response to Reply # 0

"What if I placed a notice at some local senior citizen complexes and centers, offering to do this same thing? I would not even have to enter someone's home or apartment, just pick up orders, deliver the goods to the door, and get paid."

You could do that, that will definitely make your service a lot easier. Be sure to coordinate with the center owners or heads, if they give you a go then that's it, you're on business..

Just wondering out of the blue, would you still need a business permit while doing these things? I mean what you offer is somewhat just like doing favors and helping out but with tips.. hehhe..

Good Luck!

hostingdivaFri Mar-21-08 04:35 AM

#2. "RE: ASAP - answer, please! Is this "legal"??"
In response to Reply # 0

Not sure what you mean by "is this legal"? Getting groceries for people? I sounds fine.

You should get a general business license - it just makes you look more reputable.

You would want to get permission for from the coplex owners - they're pretty picky about stuff like that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

jswank02Tue Apr-01-08 09:17 AM

#3. "RE: ASAP - answer, please! Is this "legal"??"
In response to Reply # 0

Go to your township and register you many night need a license but to register covers you as legit. Example I do marketing consulting from my home. My township only requires that I register with the county ($35) and I need no licenses as it is out of my home. Generally unless people are coming to your home there is no issue.

Keep in mind you can easily get accused of stealing or other bad things deliverying to the elderly. Bonding is the safest avenue.

Joanna Swank
info@jswank.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2254 Previous topic | Next topic