Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2166

Subject: ""Errand runner" , "Gopher", - what do you think of this biz idea?" Previous topic | Next topic
lilly4Thu Mar-06-08 03:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
""Errand runner" , "Gopher", - what do you think of this biz idea?"
Thu Mar-06-08 03:10 AM by lilly4

Hi ~
I am a stay-home mom of two children, and while they are both in full time school now, I need to make some money during the day while they are gone. Here is my biz idea, please let me know what you think:

I would place an ad in our community paper and in local retirement/apartment complexes for the elderly, offering services that I like to think of as a "gopher". I would do things such as:
pick up prescriptions or groceries for elderly people who may not have many family members close by to do it for them; pick up school assignments for a sick child at home or bring the child home from school or to a sitter's; check on a pet and give it food or water; bring in the mail or newspaper for someone who is out of town - things like that.

What do you think of this?
Please give me your feedback - and what, if any, would be the "legal" issues with it?

Thanks so much!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: "Errand runner" , "Gopher", - what do you think of this biz idea?
Mar 06th 2008
Mar 06th 2008
Mar 06th 2008
Mar 06th 2008
Mar 07th 2008
Mar 10th 2008

findingdetailsThu Mar-06-08 04:38 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: "Errand runner" , "Gopher", - what do you think of this biz idea?"
In response to Reply # 0

I thought about doing this business myself. I am still a little leary because of the fact that I live in a small community and I am hesitant to give up my F/T job yet, so I am still sittin on this idea! I do think it is a good idea that has potential. I would think twice about transporting people though, it does open up another door of liability and could increase your insurance. I know that would be something I would stay away from. Plus some places may require a chauffers license of something of the like to do that, but other than that I think it is a good idea. I like the fact that you really don't have to invest much to try it out.

lilly4Thu Mar-06-08 05:02 AM

#2. "RE: "Errand runner" , "Gopher", - what do you think of this biz idea?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes, you know, the more I've thought about it and researched it online, I would not offer to transport anyone in my car...too much risk involved. I would concentrate on Drop off/Pick Up services, Shopping services, etc.
I think offering this to retirement communities/apartment complexes would be good, too, because of the simple fact that elderly just might not be able to get out often. Prices would have to be adjusted due to fixed incomes.

The only thing that makes me a little hesitant is the safety factor - going into someone's home - you never know what people are thinking.
However, I still think this has great potential.

Thanks for your input!

eshields1014Thu Mar-06-08 07:01 AM

#3. "RE: "Errand runner" , "Gopher", - what do you think of this biz idea?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi, I think that is a great idea because there are alot of elderly people out there who dont have friends or family and they are unable to drive anymore. The rest of your ideas are great. I think that you could expand what you offer to give your self more work if that is what you were looking for. What a great idea hope that it works out for yout let me know!!!

hcdjlj7Thu Mar-06-08 07:27 PM

#4. "RE: "Errand runner" , "Gopher", - what do you think of this biz idea?"
In response to Reply # 0

Great starting idea!! Make sure you do your homework. The transportation issue is really big. Another legal issue may be in client privacy issues. For example picking up medications. My son takes attention deficit meds and I pretty much have to sign a million forms every time I go to get a refill because of the nature of the medicine. Other than that I see your idea as having great potential.

lilly4Fri Mar-07-08 01:20 AM

#5. "RE: "Errand runner" , "Gopher", - what do you think of this biz idea?"
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks for the advice!
I have decided to not transport anyone - too much risk.
I had not thought of the meds issue - I'll keep that in mind.
I'm coming up with some legal forms that will be used for such things as a Key Release form, Shopping Agreement, Credit Card Authorization, etc. I have to remember to protect myself in all these areas and some that you wouldn't even think would need mentioning!

babyjoy214Mon Mar-10-08 04:17 AM

#6. "RE: "Errand runner" , "Gopher", - what do you think of this biz idea?"
In response to Reply # 5

Hi!

I would also like to add that you start with friends, or friends of friends since that they trust you and you'll be able to establish credibility. Afterwards you can go to advertising your business. Goodluck!!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2166 Previous topic | Next topic