Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2149

Subject: "My business" Previous topic | Next topic
eshields1014Tue Mar-04-08 12:44 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"My business"

Hi everyone. My name is Erin and I am starting a dog treat business. Everyone that I have told my idea to thinks that is is a great idea. I have also looked and it seems to be a very high demand business. People these days treats there pets like children. They only buy there pets the best in everything from food, treats, and toys.

I am kind of at a dead end wall in all aspects of the business. I have all this great advice and feedback from everyone. But all of ths sudden I am starting to think that even thoough it is a business in high demand right now that I will not have a high enough or regualar customer base to make it worth my whilte.

I have tons of questions, and would like all sorts of opinions on many different things. I guess I am just looking for someone to talk business with, if you would like to help me out please E-mail me!!

I know my boyfriend and family can only take so much hearing about all of this.

Thanks for your time, look forward to hearing from you!!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
This page is in overload mode.[View all]

BigBrightBulbWed Mar-05-08 06:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: My business"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi there,

Since you've done your research and got things moving, but are worried about losing demand or your customer base, take some time each day to work on those two things. I find that working directly on what I'm worried about makes me think clearer about it. With a clear head, you may find it's nothing to worry about.

Trust your gut. If it's saying "create demand with education for potential customers" and "prepare to expand customer awareness effort", then listen

Just brainstorming, and I don't know what you have so far, but for increasing demand maybe your packaging could educate your customers with a little more explanation of the value of your treats compared to mass-manufactured treats: Fresher ingredients? Special ingredients? Better flavor? Handmade? Locally made? More affordable than other gourmet treats? Loved by your own dogs?

For expanding your customer base, free samples could be good. A 1/2 or 1/3 size pack of treats with your contact information is a great thing to hand out, or make available, at the SPCA, pet adoption events, at the dog park, at the regular park, etc. Handed out in pairs so they'll have one to share could have a viral effect.

Hope this helps!

Crystal
Digital Curator
http://bigbrightbulb.com
Advice, ideas, answers, and inspiration for the smallest businesses with the smallest budgets

Replies to this subthread
RE: My business, eshields1014, Mar 05th 2008, #2
      RE: My business, BigBrightBulb, Mar 05th 2008, #3
           RE: My business, eshields1014, Mar 05th 2008, #4
                RE: My business, BigBrightBulb, Mar 05th 2008, #5
                     RE: My business, eshields1014, Mar 05th 2008, #6
                          RE: My business, BigBrightBulb, Mar 06th 2008, #7
                          RE: My business, eshields1014, Mar 06th 2008, #9
                               RE: My business, BigBrightBulb, Mar 14th 2008, #13
                                    RE: My business, eshields1014, Mar 14th 2008, #14
                          RE: My business, Pepperfire, Mar 06th 2008, #8
                               RE: My business, eshields1014, Mar 06th 2008, #10
                                    RE: My business, Pepperfire, Mar 07th 2008, #11
                                         RE: My business, eshields1014, Mar 07th 2008, #12

StrategistWed May-28-08 09:56 AM

#15. "RE: My business"
In response to Reply # 0

here are my thoughts:

1) you are doing great getting the support of others. Congrats!

2) you are dong right by creating a business plan; however, the plan is NEVER done -- well as long as your company is running. Your plan should provide you with a set of priorities to use each day, goals to go after, strategies to use (and change as needed), and help you create a project management system (even if that system is on paper in a binder). If you don't have that sort of plan, go to www.TheResourceQueen.com/samples.html and learn more about the planning resources that are out there to assist you. I use the one-page plan myself. It's on my desk, it's used daily.

3) worrying about clients is a usual part of business, don't fret about it. Turn the worry into consistant action.

4) a simple low cost (not free) one is fine for the business type you're providing. Include the cities and county and state you work in in your keywords. Capture your visitors addresses (ezine, ecourse, blog). (my recommendations are at my resource queen site) Why? you will be surprised a the number of people who will use the web to find you.

5) many people "try out" their business for a few months before getting their S Corp or LLC set up and licenses (including a license from the health department since you are making treats? and possibly one other department) from the state.

However, since you're selling a product, trying on is not a choice.

Your business plan should have in it all the start up costs; including licenses and insurance. Why?
Because it could cost you and your family more than money should something happen.
Let's say something happens to someone's animal and they get sick or worse. Let's say that on that day they had your treats that day.
If you haven't protected yourself with a S Corp, C Corp or LLC (your lawyer or accountant) can help you choose one) you will be sued. Even if it wasn't your treats, you could loose everything and if you're living at home, that's worse, too! And even if it wasn't your fault, you could end up shelling out legal fees and some % of the blame. So get protected.

6) and if you don't have a business license and someone from the city or town or country finds your business cards or flyers, and checks the records, you will get penalties. (yes, in some places, many places, people from the municipalities collect cards, check the computer and if you are not paying a license fee, you get penalties or worse.)

For license info:
a) your states website for business start up.
b) your library for a book specifically to start up a business in your state.
c) SCORE or SBA for start up info
d) your states DOR for sale tax info.
e) IRS site for an EIN number (you'll need this if you are an LLC, S or C Corp or have employees, banks want it (for example) and it's free.
f) your city/town and county to see what rules/fees/licenses they have for businesses.

Every state is different. In NC, I only needed a county licences. In WA, I need a state licsence, city licsence for any city I sell in and I pay taxes to the county, too.

7) I would think that on the treats you have to charge sales tax?? on your products. Go to your states website, learn what you need, go to the library and get that part of the business going. And see if your state provides a sales tax class (usually free).

8) don't make more kinds of treats now. Three is enough for people new to your product to handle. Then as you get recommendations, put it on your "to think of list". OR use the other 2 types in a way to increase your sales. For example: once you have your clients introduce a "new" flavor (one that you already had, but didn't advertise)

Just a few things to think about as you bring your new food to market.

Maria Marsala

Let me help you substantially grow your financial advisory business or nonprofit with P.E.P. Increase productivity, efficiency, and profit.

Learn more and get free tips at http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

RE: My business, eshields1014, Jun 09th 2008, #17

quietblissgirlMon Jun-09-08 12:47 PM

#16. "RE: My business"
In response to Reply # 0

I am new to the idea cafe but wanted to jump in. My dear friend owns a very successful dog bakery in Ohio and I have had the occasion to go to a LARGE pet industry trade show with her in Chicago a couple times. The pet industry seems to get bigger every year. Here are a few things that she seems to struggle with, even with the success she has worked so hard for in the past 3 years of having a brick and mortar location. (she worked out of her home for 2 years before that, just doing farmers markets, fairs, etc.)

1. for boutique items, you have to get VERY unique items because the big box stores will undersell you every time. Get the namebrand items that are guaranteed replaceable by the mfr, so you dont have to worry about losing money. (esp with collars and leashes, if you plan on selling stuff like that down the line.)

2. treats are a small per item product, so to cover your costs, you have to be able to get out there enough to sell enough - every weekend usually (until you have a storefront and employees). Get your name out there everywhere and anywhere you can.

3. double and triple check licensing requirements, because in her state, she has to be registered with the dept of agriculture to make and sell dog treats! many "would be competitors" were closed down asap because they did not do proper registrations beforehand

4. love love love the puppies. the one thing that makes her most successful is that her love of dogs shines through in everything she does. She gives back all the time, donating time and $ to many animal groups in her area. Every event she runs, and she runs about 6-8 a year, she give a generous portion to charity. This puts her in the papers all the time and builds a great repoire within the animal community.

One last thing. She still loves going to work every day. She started it in her kitchen and now has her own store and about 6 employees. Go for it and dont look back!

RE: My business, eshields1014, Jun 09th 2008, #18
RE: My business, thomascap, Jun 27th 2008, #19
RE: My business, eshields1014, Jun 29th 2008, #20
RE: My business, thomascap, Jun 29th 2008, #21

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2149 Previous topic | Next topic