Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2120

Subject: "Need sales help!" Previous topic | Next topic
tina bSun Aug-30-09 10:17 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Need sales help!"

I just became a sales rep. for a company, and my job is to get the product into gift shops. I am not quite sure how to go about doing this. Do I call the store first to set up an appointment. Do I just go to the store and bring samples? My fear is, either way, once I say I am a sales rep. they won't want to talk with me.
There is an min. opening order, and a min. reordering order for them to purchase at wholesale.
I really like the product and use it everyday. It's purse charms that you hook your keys on, so you can find your keys without digging through your purse, and they are really fashionalbe.
There is not another rep. in my area, and I have not seen them in any stores so I thought I would have a good chance at getting them into the stores. I am just not sure how to go about it.
Any advice on this would be much appreicated!
To see the product, you can go to www.finderskeypurse.com

Thank you,
Trina

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Need sales help!
Feb 27th 2008
Feb 27th 2008
Jun 18th 2009
Jun 19th 2009
Jun 25th 2009
Jun 25th 2009
Sep 07th 2009
Sep 18th 2009
Oct 04th 2009
Oct 04th 2009

PepperfireWed Feb-27-08 08:53 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Need sales help!"
In response to Reply # 0

I have to do this every day and it's easy.

You'll need a couple of tools, aside from your telephone and your agenda...

-- A website... nothing fancy, just something with a really good set of graphics so that the owner (or purchaser) for the shop can see your product.

-- An emailable price list and photos of the product

-- A faxable price list and photos of the product

-- Samples of the product.

-- knowledge of how the product is going to be displayed in their store (do they provide the shelves or do you have a display solution; is it sales desk display or stand alone, etc.)

-- Know what your price and leeway to dicker price is; (Some stores will want to know how much less they will pay if they carry your entire line)

-- is shipping/delivery to them included or is that an extra charge?

There may or may not be other questions specific to your product, but above all, if someone hits you with one and you do not know the answer, NEVER be afraid to say, "I'll have to discuss that with my boss, let me get back to you".

Make yourself a list of all the stores in your area that you think would carry the product, then sit down somewhere where you cannot be bothered by kids, dogs, others, etc. And... you call.

Don't kids yourself, it is imperative that you tell them that you are a sales rep, and immediately ask for the name and phone number of the purchaser for the shop BEFORE you ask to be talking to them. You may immediately get put into contact with them and you may be asked to leave a message. If you do leave a message, behave as if you never left one... Call again two days later. Again, and this is important never have the sales call with anyone but the purchaser.

Then, talk to no one else about the products... you'll be wasting your time.

Once you are finally talking to the purchaser, you tell them you have a product that you believe is suitable for their shop and you would like for them to carry it. They'll ask what the product is, and you'll need to describe it in a few short words. (much like you did in your post).

Then, you'll need to tell them the retail price and how popular they are and why you think they'll sell well in their store. These are the demographics that you can get from the manufacturer or distributor you deal with.

Most of the time they'll ask that you send them something... which of course you do -- offer the email and website first. If they ask to see the physical product, offer to send the email... you want to make sure they are qualified first. Don't send out free samples unless your supplier provides them or you'll be giving away your profits.

If you email, mention in the email your phone conversation and that they've requested the info (so it doesn't get spam reported) and then follow up within the week.

Once you follow up, you will qualify the shop. You need to know that they are even in purchasing position now and that the person with whom you are dealing is the actual decision maker. Then, you can move onto the conversation that gets them buying the product and putting it up in their store. Once you have qualified the shop, and only once you have qualified the shop do you displace yourself to bring the product. You want to be essentially assured of a sale if you are going to the trouble of visiting. So qualifying the shop is paramount.

Never be afraid to get a NO. It's the only way you know that the shop isn't interested. If they say maybe later... ask them when they think will be a good time (some stores only do their buying in January, others do it once a month, etc.) and then be sure to follow up with them at that time.

If you don't have one already, get yourself a good contact manager. I use AirSet, which you is online and free, and you can find it here: http://www.airset.com or you can use ACT or Maximizer or even Microsoft's Contact.

I'm sure there's a thousand other things to be aware of, but that's the gyst of it.

I hope that helps.

T

>I just became a sales rep. for a company, and my job is to
>get the product into gift shops. I am not quite sure how to go
>about doing this. Do I call the store first to set up an
>appointment. Do I just go to the store and bring samples? My
>fear is, either way, once I say I am a sales rep. they won't
>want to talk with me.
>There is an min. opening order, and a min. reordering order
>for them to purchase at wholesale.
>I really like the product and use it everyday. It's purse
>charms that you hook your keys on, so you can find your keys
>without digging through your purse, and they are really
>fashionalbe.
>There is not another rep. in my area, and I have not seen them
>in any stores so I thought I would have a good chance at
>getting them into the stores. I am just not sure how to go
>about it.
>Any advice on this would be much appreicated!
>To see the product, you can go to www.finderskeypurse.com
>
>Thank you,
>Trina

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

tina bWed Feb-27-08 09:41 AM

#2. "RE: Need sales help!"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for help! I have to admit I am a little nervous about it.
I wish I had some type of script or something to go buy!
I don't have a website, but the company does, and I could send them to that one. I also have very nice catalogs, alot of display keychains for them to see. With this product I think once they actually see it, they will want to carry it, hopefully.

Thanks again,
Trina

pixieplantThu Jun-18-09 01:01 PM

#3. "RE: Need sales help!"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi!

I have the opposite problem. I am a vendor of giftware products (PixiePlants) and do not know how to address/find sales reps. How do I find sales reps for my products? How can I attract them for my products?

I know that isn't really helpful but I searched the web and all I found so far are websites which sell info about sales reps.

Thanks,
Werner

annalaurabrownFri Jun-19-09 01:17 PM

#4. "RE: Need sales help!"
In response to Reply # 3

Let me see if I can help both of your problems.

1. I recommend that you take some samples with you and go in person to sell the keychains in addition to the other ideas you already received. This will make a much stronger impression and will make it harder for them to say no. You may have to come back again at a later time to some of them but it will be worth it.

2. For the plant lady who is looking for sales reps, how about these ideas.

post on craigslist that you are looking for sales reps.
see if your local tv station has a free classifieds section and post there as well that you are looking for sales reps.
consider hosting a party and letting everyone who comes know that you are looking for people to sell your product.
come up with some catchy buttons you can wear that let people know that you are looking for sales reps.
do a booth at a trade show or go to a trade show and pass out business cards to people that say, I'm looking for reps.

You must be healthy to be successful.
Learn how essential oils can make you healthy.
http://healthandwealthwithoils.com

maphokengThu Jun-25-09 07:42 AM

#5. "RE: Need sales help!"
In response to Reply # 3

Hi Werner,

Do you have a store or are you operating from home. Are you South African the name sounds South African ( I hope don't mind me asking so many questions)trying to establish where you are situated. I used to do promotion work for HTH for 9 years in-store.

My best bet would be to have a display in malls and flea markets. I am willing to work for you if you don't mind. If you in Mzantse ofcourse.

Regards,

Maphokeng

email address: maphokeng@gmail.com

pixieplantThu Jun-25-09 11:19 AM

#6. "RE: Need sales help!"
In response to Reply # 5

Hi Maphokeng:

I have home business and I am from the U.S.
You are right, shops with high traffic would be the best (malls). Thanks that you want to work for me but unfortunately I am not located in Mzantse.

potpourriMon Sep-07-09 07:45 AM

#9. "RE: Need sales help!"
In response to Reply # 0

There is more to understand aobut sales than can be communicated here but here are a couple.

If you are considering selling direct to shop owners, there are two things you can explore. First, take a charm with your business card and a hand written note addressed directly to the owner and mail it to them. In your note do not "sell" your product rather get them connected emotionally with it by letting them know people, just like yourself loves them. Put your feeling into it.

There is a saying "if you have the want to, the how to will follow".
Go for it.

Ocha

blog: http://www.infoesource.com/blogindex

Follow Me On Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/InfoESource

JazLiveFri Sep-18-09 04:04 PM

#10. "RE: Need sales help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Create a special sale's jacket, dark denim, decorated with a variety of the charms also a denim purse and wear jean with the presentation outfit, you want to appear very similar to the market that will most likely purchase the product. Arm yourself with business cards that has the website URL and march into gift shops; seek a sales clerk and announce you are looking for the manager. When the manager appears, introduce yourself and start a your "charm promotion" make it short ( about 2.5 minutes ); end with asking for the manager's business card ~ if (s)he gives you one this shows interest ( give them your business card and be sure to check the business card of the manager for an email address ); if their business card does not have an email address listed, ask them if they have one and jot it on the back of their card

Jaz Live Cash Culture
Gettin' Better by the Tic' Toc'

SageSun Oct-04-09 11:20 AM

#11. "RE: Need sales help!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Tina,
I agree with the 2 other posters that advised going into the shops, introducing yourself, giving a sample and business card and going from there.

I owned a retail store for 8+ years and would have welcomed anyone presenting a new product to me that might be a perfect fit for my store. (notice I said "perfect" fit). So that means you should target boutiques that already carry similar products, boutiques that sell handbags or women's clothing boutiques. And preferably the smaller shops that are locally owned so that you know the owner probably works in the store.

I never had anyone approach me in the years I was in business with any kind of offer, but I think if someone had approached me in a friendly way (no hard selling) just coming into my shop and saying something like:

I just happened to be passing your shop and notice you sell purses (or whatever) and thought you might be interested in our key finders. I wanted to leave you a sample and a card, and also our web address is on there for you to check out. And if you want I can leave you a price list too.

yada yada yada

Then most likely they will say something and you can go from there.

If they look busy but seem interested, you can ask if it would be okay if you called them in a couple of days to see if they wanted to try an opening order.

That's it! No hard selling. They always have the option to continue to engage in conversation or have you call back, or not.

Let me know if you have any other questions about retail. I love this stuff! I miss my store!

D. (Sage)
Learn massage with our free online massage videos:
http://www.givebestmassageever.com

pixieplantSun Oct-04-09 11:38 AM

#12. "RE: Need sales help!"
In response to Reply # 11

Hello!

I think Tina makes really good suggestions. My guess is that it's all about how to start this "sales" conversation. After finding a good way to start the conversation it will keep rolling, no matter what the outcome is. However, my biggest worry though is that I am going on peoples nerves as soon as I start telling them that I have something to sell. The product is for sure very special (www.pixieplants.com) but I just have a really hard time popping and start the conversation.

I also think that it's just a matter of practicing. Maybe try out stores which you think will probably NOT buy from you and test various ways to start the conversation. That way you will get used to it and learn about different shop owner mentalities without hurting your business if it doesn't turn into a sale. That's at least what I am going to try soon.

Good luck,
Werner

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2120 Previous topic | Next topic