Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #21

Subject: "Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!" Previous topic | Next topic
Gertee3Wed Aug-09-06 01:20 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!"

Hello Everyone!

I really need your input! Do any of you currently have a "dessert only" restaurant in your city? If so what is it like? What are its hours, what do they offer, what are the prices like, is it a busy place, do you go there, why or why not, basically anything and everything that you can tell me about it would be fantastic.

For those of you who do not have a "dessert only" restaurant I need your help too! Would you go to one if you did? Why or why not? What type of atmosphere would you like? What types of dessert should a place like this have? Besides coffee would you be interested in enjoying dessert wines, dessert shake type smoothies, or ports?

Need feedback in a huge way. I want to know what you the consumer would want and expect from a dessert only restaurant and if you actually think it would fly! What type of town and enviroment do you think a business like this would thrive in?

Thanks for your help!
Gertee3
www.gerteescookiebowl.com
info@gerteescookiebowl.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Houston area response
Aug 10th 2006
RE: Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!
Aug 22nd 2006
Aug 23rd 2006
Aug 29th 2006
Sep 12th 2006
Oct 03rd 2006
Oct 05th 2006
Oct 10th 2006
Oct 12th 2006

MarlinCreekThu Aug-10-06 07:56 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "Houston area response"
In response to Reply # 0

Sad to say that I live in a major city and can't think of a single dessert only place (other than the ice cream chains like Cold Stone and Marble Slab)... but that's probably a result of having 3 kids.

Would I go to one? I'd like to say yes... but I guess it was dependent upon the type of place... was it meant to be a "romantic" place for couples with great desserts or was it meant to be a family place with great desserts? I'd probably go to either, but the romantic place would be limited to select adult birthdays and anniversaries. We would probably find more interest in a family style (or at least tolerant) place.

Now, what would I want? It's gotta be the best tasting dessert out there. There's an Italian food place locally that has the best choc cake I've ever tasted... enough to tell my wife to get it for my b-day. That type of food at a dessert place... might get me out on a saturday evening.

In this age of "healthy eating" desserts are turning more into a limited indulgence and not an every night type affair. However, if you can position the place near a grouping of restuarants (that typically have limited dessert options) you might be able to lure people as they left dinner to come into your place.

Some thoughts I had about food places...

1. Location is important but not everything - meaning, you want it easy to get to... or in a visible place so that people driving by go "hey, what's that, let's check it out"

2. You want to set yourself apart from the others in some way... better food, wider selection, specialty selection that they can't get someplace else (locally), atmosphere, etc...

3. You want to provide value based upon the perceived quality. If you are going to have ice cream for $4 / scoop, it had better be the best... or make it cheaper than the others. I believe that the general trend is to compete on quality (better) and not price (cheaper)

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Graydon
Marlin Creek - Idea Seeds
http://marlincreek.com

theresavevansTue Aug-22-06 03:42 AM

#2. "RE: Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

The idea sounds fine to me. It's similar to a bakery. I would suggest your location be in a big Amusement Park such as Six Flags, or a very big Mall. These are the types of places people usually spoil their appetites at. You may even want to try a busy down town area where workers on the go usually want something quick and sweet to eat, or want to get some deserts for a corporate party or special holiday party. Remeber they don't want to have to travel far from the job to get what they need. I hope this helps a little. Signed, Theresa Evans theresavevans@comcast.net

freejerkyWed Aug-23-06 03:20 PM

#3. "RE: Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!"
In response to Reply # 2

I think the idea could work but i always thought if I started a food place I would make a definate stand in my interior. i am more of the fun and crazy type and I can remember as a kid I could wait to turn 18 cause there was this place where the way to get in is you had to slide down a slide then at the soda bar you sat on toliet seats. So being outragious like that would be my style so i would be remembered and talked about to make people want to come...even if it wasn't for the food

Laura
We are all about families helping families!
http://www.jerky4free.com
No Selling - No Parties - Any Age

PepperfireTue Aug-29-06 07:41 AM

#4. "RE: Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

We used to go to a dessert only restaurant in Vancouver when I lived there... It's actually got a website: http://www.cheesecakeetc.com/

They served the best cheesecake I've ever tasted, all sorts of coffees, teas, hot apple cider, etc.

I think dessert wines, etc, would be a great idea!

Here in Montreal, there is a chain called Calories, and it is also very popular, the desserts are also served with all sorts of coffees and teas.

I don't know how well they would go over there, but I think that if Cheesecake etc. Can stay in business for over 20 years, so can you!

Good luck.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

nikkibTue Sep-12-06 12:54 PM

#5. "RE: Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

I live in Reno, NV and we have an establishment here called "Chocolate Bar" (quite simple & catchy!). It serves everything chocolate, from desserts to chocolate drinks, non- and alcoholic. But it's EVERYTHING chocolate.

Honestly, I have not gone there since I'm not a HUGE chocolate fan. However, people who have gone say they have fun and it's different. Since I live in a 24-hour town, I'm sure they tried it, but I believe now they close at 1 a.m. on the weekends and 11 p.m. during the week. It's a lounge-type decor with large windows for people to see in. It reminds me of San Francisco establishments where you can watch people eat/drink. It would need some street traffic so people driving and walking by can check it out.

I think it's a great idea if you can niche it and specialize in one thing (like a fab cheesecake as a specialty). A dessert wine bar would be cool if you could have some sort of educational method of getting people to attend for a fee & a lesson. Dessert wine & ports are tricky if you don't know what you're doing. People can get really drunk without realizing it since they're both so high in sugar & alcohol.

ShaiTue Oct-03-06 01:51 PM

#6. "RE: Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,

I think it would be a good idea for people that want a place to go after dinner at home. It would be nice just to go somewhere and have a nice desert. Often times in a conventional restaurant after eating we are too full for dessert. Whereas if we eat at home we can wait a little while before we eat dessert. I say go for it but please make it a place that can be kid friendly during the day but adult friendly after dark.

lisasgourmetThu Oct-05-06 02:36 AM

#7. "RE: Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

Gertee3:

Great day to you! In order for your idea to work, you have to be providing something that no one else in the area is providing, meaning, your products have to have a niche or an edge.

I am in the process of opening my "bakery", All Things Cheesecake. NO ONE in my area (or the country, for that matter) makes cheesecakes like I do. NO ONE offers the cheesecake desserts I do. (cheesecake truffles, petit fours, etc.)

Work with your local Small Business Development Center on your business plan. THEY ARE BEYOND HELPFUL!!! Best of all, it's all free to you. They will help you with every part of your plan, and assist you with finding the financing.

Because of renovations to a newly purchased building (in a PRIME location), I will not be able to open up till after the first of the year.

Every major player I have talked to is completely jazzed about my products ---- especially after tasting some!

Don't let your idea stop or stall because it isn't already being done. Research, Research, Research. Test your products. You have to be able to not only sell the business plan, but you have to be able to sell the product too.

It can be the best business plan in the world, but if no one wants or needs your product ----- it isn't going to work.

Good Luck to you!!!!

Lisa

http://www.allthingscheesecake.com

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

happyslobTue Oct-10-06 05:58 AM

#8. "RE: Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey Gertee,

I have to say that I think your idea is absolutely brilliant! I wish there was a really nice dessert only place near where we lived, so we could go out for a swanky dessert once in a while. You get my happy (dessert-loving) thumbs up!

Take care,
Christina

http://www.happyslob.com - the Happy Slob's Guide to Housecleaning

CacNJThu Oct-12-06 02:38 AM

#9. "RE: Calling all Foodies! I need your advice!"
In response to Reply # 0

We have a great dessert place in the small town I live in. High-end desserts and simple things like decadent brownies. Tons of coffee drinks. I think the dessert wines would be a great touch. Some Irish coffees would be great too. At the little shop in town, they have live music on weekends. Attracts people from surrrounding towns as well.

I don't know how many seats you will have in your restaurant, but I suppose you will be looking for quick turn-around to bolster profit. While I would love to say comfortable, that encourages too much "loitering" Attractive and inviting yes. That wonderful smell of baking and coffee, kind of like Grandma's house aroma. (Even if you don't bake in house, get some yummy candles and have them going)

Good Luck to you on this endeaver!

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #21 Previous topic | Next topic