Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2087

Subject: "T shirt business" Previous topic | Next topic
redmanpatTue Feb-19-08 04:31 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"T shirt business"

I want to start a t shirt business with momisms written on the front.
Momisms
Some Examples
Why? Because I said so that's Why!
Money doesn't grow on trees!
Close the door! You don't live in a barn.
Did you brush your teeth?
Did you comb your hair?
Do as I say, not as I do.
Do you think I'm made of money?
Do you think your socks are going to pick themselves up?
Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.
Don't sit too close to the television, it'll ruin your eyes.
Don't talk with your mouth full!

Do you think this is a good idea and what would a good name be
Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: T shirt business
Feb 21st 2008
Feb 21st 2008
Feb 21st 2008
Feb 22nd 2008
Feb 23rd 2008
Aug 07th 2008
Aug 19th 2008
Aug 19th 2008
Aug 26th 2008
Aug 26th 2008
Nov 07th 2008
Nov 28th 2008

jerky4freeThu Feb-21-08 07:16 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu Feb-21-08 07:16 AM by jerky4free

I think you would have to market more that tshirt to make it work (profit wise) For instance, I would wear a t shirt with any of those but I may want a coffee mug with those on there.
A name...ummmmm...you don't like Momisms??

Laura
http://www.financialfreedomfamily.com
Families Helping Families
Helping each other get out of debt.

lewgard08Thu Feb-21-08 08:10 AM

#2. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 0

If you want to "test the waters", you can try cafepress.com and try to sell some t-shirts and mugs with your momisms on them. I believe this company is all inclusive, meaning they give you an online shop, produce the item when it is ordered, handle all payment transactions and then send you a check. I believe they make their money by taking a cut of the sale. I've never tried them, but well worth a look for your business.

=====

Kathleen
http://www.handbagstyle.ewomanweb.com

redmanpatThu Feb-21-08 08:37 AM

#3. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks
I actually am working on setting up a store on there right now. You are right. It is a great way to test things out.
Patti

PepperfireFri Feb-22-08 06:27 AM

#4. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 3

I think it's a good idea.

I purchased three little notebooks with blank pages interspersed with "Momisms" for my three kids for Christmas just this past Christmas.

I think your t-shirts can go over well, so long as you let people know they're available. Don't forget to issue a press release when your Café Press store is open for business.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

rajSat Feb-23-08 08:51 AM

#5. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it's a good idea....

T-shirt depot

Rajesh Rungta

kkrie616Thu Aug-07-08 10:22 PM

#6. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 5

I own a website design and development company and about two years ago I had a client who wanted to do the same thing as you. I created a website for him and he backed out of the deal. Here is the link to the beta site if your intrested:

http://businessxposure.com/shirts/index.php

The code and graphics will probably have to be updated a little to bring it up to par but it would be a good start. I am not using the site for anything so the cost would be really really really cheap. So if you have an existing domain name it may suit your needs.

Kevin
Business Xposure
www.businessxposure.com

theshoppingbeeTue Aug-19-08 04:58 AM

#7. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 0

I love it! I really like the name. I use 10 out of the 11. Will there be graphics on the shirts? I think mugs are a great addition.
Testing the waters is a great idea. Cafe Press sounds ideal for you just starting out. I agree with sending out a press release, you'll need to create buzz. Maybe once your store is up and running put together a brochure that you can leave at various places in your local area with your store information on it. Mail it out to family and friends encouranging them to pass it on. Have a few shirts on hand if time permits check out your local flea markets. People are always look for unique finds there.

Keep us posted and good luck!

Marsha Gill
www.personalshoppingbee.com
Let Us Shop For You!

hostingdivaTue Aug-19-08 11:37 AM

#8. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 0

You should at least get your own domain name and then you can forward the domain to your CafePress account. By having your own domain name you can give something to your friends and give it out to people who are interested in your stuff

http://pagebuzz.com - Small Business Website Hosting. $19.99 per month, no up sells, no contracts, no surprises. Shopping cart, photo galleries, drag and drop editors, graphics, specialized programming for car dealers, real estate agents, and others.

k4satinTue Aug-26-08 06:53 AM

#9. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 0

Wow. I am amazed that every post I've read here says this is a good idea. Not that the shirts wouldn't be cute. I'm sure they would be, and many of would be happy to wear them.

But, as a business idea, who hasn't thought of creating a new t-shirt? Just how many t-shirt makers can the market support? One of the first rules of creating a new business, and especially a new product, is to find a niche. You want something that would be in demand, but that would not have too much competition. The competition to succeed with t-shirts is so fierce that it would likely be more of a hobby than a business.

Here's an easy way to get a sense of how much competition there will be for your product. I did a Google search for "mom t-shirts". First, you can see that there are over 14 million results for this term. You can also look at how many people are bidding on the term, actually paying money to attract visitors, by counting the number of sponsored links. The page has about 8 sponsored links the first time you do the search (both along the top and the right column). If you look at the bottom of the right column, there should be a link for "more sponsored listings" (this only shows up the first time you do the search). If you click on this link, you get MANY pages of additional sponsored listings. I saw that it went up to at least 12 pages, but that was still followed by dot, dot, dot.

Now, for comparison's sake, try a search for "folding purse hanger". First, there are only 28,500 total results. When you look at the sponsored listings, there are still enough to fill up the first page, but, when you click on the link for "more sponsored listings," they all fit on the next page. Now, that's a better market to go after. There are others that could be even better. You want to follow the money to some extent (if almost nobody is paying for clicks there's probably not much money being spent by consumers on that type of product), but you don't want too much competition.

I hope this exercise can help out those of you who are considering new business and product ideas.

If you can do the t-shirts for fun without putting a lot of money into the project, you'll probably sell some to people who know you and make a few bucks. I just wouldn't recommend it as a major business launch where you expect to market outside of circles where you can make a personal connection. This kind of thing usually does best if you can make them truly unique in some way, and if you start locally with people who know you. If people start seeing the shirts and asking for them, you may be able to grow from there.

- Kristin

The Satin Button - Gifts for Every Generation - www.thesatinbutton.com

Satin Web Solutions - Your Solution to Online Success - www.satinwebsolutions.com

Jamilla BrownTue Aug-26-08 07:44 AM

#10. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 0

:) Hey im just a young girl 15 ,, i have some brilliant ideas that could get your t shirt sales soaring !!! desings nd loggos me and my mate can draw are fantastic !!! get back to me

Thanks Jamillla:D

jswank02Fri Nov-07-08 05:55 PM

#11. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 0

EASY NO COST START UP go to Cafepress.com

Joanna Swank
Marketable Concepts
jswank@marketableconcepts.com
www.marketableconcepts.com

November Sales Special - 99 for 2009 - go to http://www.jswank.com/november.html for these great marketing and business plan deals.

outsorcererFri Nov-28-08 05:47 AM

#12. "RE: T shirt business"
In response to Reply # 0

Special Thanksgiving offfer for ambitious entrepreneur like you ,as OutSorcerer lends now you a hand at a discounted price of 5.99$/hr to beat the global downturn, through an array of experience VAs to take over your time intensive administrative tasks, or by formulating decisive business plans by our veteran consultants ,or by hiring our Internet marketers to leverage your social networking or with directing our skilled web developers to update your site. If you feel, its time for you to focus on addressing more complex business challenges and also preserve time for family then, please feel free to contact me directly at #1 (888) 575-TIME (8463) or via email at clientsupport@outsorcerer.com in order to continue this dialogue.
What we commit:

Timely delivery
Professional approach
Management focus
Active communication

We hope to have an opportunity to demonstrate what the OutSorcerer magic can mean for you!

Payal Kataria
Client Service Executive
Atlas Enterprises, LLC
Toll Free +1 888-575-TIME (8463)
clientsupport@outsorcerer.com
www.OutSorcerer.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2087 Previous topic | Next topic