Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2055

Subject: "What do you think of this idea??" Previous topic | Next topic
kaydensworldWed Feb-06-08 05:50 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"What do you think of this idea??"

My partner and i are thinking of a combined housecleaning and outside of your house cleaning. He is very good and handy at powerwashing, for example he has done decks for friends, he cleaned and prepped wooden decks for fresh staining. So, we are thinking he could also do log homes. And also to powerwash siding and outside windows, driveways etc. He is also an industrial painter, and very good at that, so he would like to do outside painting. Do think there is a demand for such a thing?? He isnt exactly a "handyman" it would just be cleaning and staining or painting.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
where are you located? RE: What do you think of this idea??
Feb 07th 2008
where are you located? RE: What do you think of this idea??
Feb 07th 2008
RE: What do you think of this idea??
Feb 07th 2008
Feb 07th 2008
Feb 08th 2008
Feb 08th 2008

CyberHostThu Feb-07-08 05:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "where are you located? RE: What do you think of this idea??"
In response to Reply # 0

This sounds like a great concept - I'm ready to sign up!

You offer solutions to a repeat problem I encounter...
a homeowner needs all these things done on a regular basis (like for the powerwashing, probably 1-2x/year, the housecleaning much more often).

Since you'd offer all the above, the homeowner (or any property owner, actually, like an owner of rentals, you'd save people having to research, interview then schedule this type service, then that type service, etc.

By offering cleaning both inside and out, you'd save the property owner a lot of time and the coordination hassles of dealing with a bunch of different providers. If you'd also offer carpet cleaning (I believe it could be quite profitable, considering what I pay!), then that would round out your array of services.

Go for it! I think you'd find it easy to get customers. Consider looking for owners of several rental properties and neighborhoods with "mature" owners (who probably don't want to do these things themselves).

Good luck!
Cyberhost at Idea CafeThe Fun Place for Serious Business(sm)

kaydensworldThu Feb-07-08 01:05 PM

#3. "where are you located? RE: What do you think of this idea??"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi there and thanks for the feedback, it's greatly appreciated!!

we are located on the Six Nations Reserve, in Ontario Canada. There are several surrounding towns that are just getting bigger and bigger, and the nearby city of Hamilton that i think will make a good target. I have already talked to a friend of mine in the town only minutes away and she cleans houses part-time, she says she knows there is a demand for housecleaners in town, she has had to turn down people because she just doesnt have the time. She is getting known just by word of mouth from her grandmother, she tells a friend, and she tells a friend, and so on.

Thanks for the advice, and i'm totally going to go for it. The more i research and talk to people the more i'm convinced it will fly!!

jerky4freeThu Feb-07-08 08:37 AM

#2. "RE: What do you think of this idea??"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it is a great idea, once a person likes your work in one area then they will use or refer you for the pther areas you offer. My hubby just ended his pressure washing business and just started thinking of selling his truck and unit. It was a good business to have for residential as well as commericial. The only reason he is stopping is we couldn't find good help and after his strokes he just couldn't keep up with the demand. When he would wash either outside or inside (he did windows and mild cleaning for those that he knew) he would use non toxic cleaners and that seemed to be a benifit that he could advertise. The commercial didn't seem to care at first, but then they liked the idea that they could seem like they really cared for their employees by caring about their health .
Anyways we used Melaleuca for the products and they didn't cost us anymore so it's not like we were more expensive, but we were able to offer something others didn't. Let me know if you have any questions and I can try to help ya.
Good Luck

Laura:P

Laura
http://www.financialfreedomfamily.com
Families Helping Families
Helping each other get out of debt.

kaydensworldThu Feb-07-08 01:15 PM

#4. "RE: What do you think of this idea??"
In response to Reply # 2

Hi Laura

Thanks for the tip! I had planned on using non toxic cleaners but wasnt sure which one, ihave heard of Melaleuca, and i will definitely check it out.

the more i ask around about this idea the more it sounds like there is a huge demand for these services! Getting excited!!

I will probably be hitting you up with a question or two!!

Thanks again
Cindy

PepperfireFri Feb-08-08 07:27 AM

#5. "RE: What do you think of this idea??"
In response to Reply # 4

I can second the recommendation for Melaleuca products, I have been using them since 2002.

They are fantastic if your customers have allergies in their homes or workplaces and great for you, especially if you get a lot of projects -- No toxic overload.

The only time I have found a better product is Windex vs Melaleuca's window washer. It takes a little more elbow grease to perform the same job, but the Melaleuca window cleaner works fine and does not include toxic ammonia.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

jerky4freeFri Feb-08-08 03:49 PM

#6. "RE: What do you think of this idea??"
In response to Reply # 5

They improved the melaleuca's brand of window cleaner (I think in the last year or so). My hubby likes windex too, but if he buys it himself it is only for outside (cars and such) use and only by him. I like the Melaleuca because I have always been able to give the bottle to my kids (even when little) with a towel and not worry about if they get it on them or what they are inhaling when they are "helping" me.

Laura:P

Laura
http://www.financialfreedomfamily.com
Families Helping Families
Helping each other get out of debt.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2055 Previous topic | Next topic