Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2026

Subject: "Infant and Toddler food website." Previous topic | Next topic
EireishgrlMon Jan-28-08 07:00 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Infant and Toddler food website."

When my daughter was born I couldn't stand using the processed baby food in jars at the supermarket. I began to make her food myself. It's very easy and the food is very easy to store frozen and then re-heat. My mother-in-law, as well as many of my friends, loved this idea and began making their own also. But, a few of my friends, either, do not have the time or do not know how to boil water. Therefore, they think it would be a great idea to offer home-made baby and toddler food for sale over the internet.
My question is this....Can I even do this legally from home?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Infant and Toddler food website.
Jan 28th 2008
Jan 30th 2008
Jan 31st 2008
Jan 31st 2008
Feb 02nd 2008
Feb 14th 2008
Feb 12th 2008
Feb 12th 2008

jerky4freeMon Jan-28-08 05:05 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Infant and Toddler food website."
In response to Reply # 0

I am not sure on the answer of your question (since it is over the internet), but I know for at least the state I am in they are strict on local sales of food and packaging. It is a great idea though since many are finding out about all the Junk in the products now a days. I know that our family has switched over to nontoxic household items and cleaners and we even looked for healthier food products via email at that is how we ran across the company I do now. But if there was something out there years ago when mine were little I would definately give it a good look at. Good Luck

Laura
http://www.financialfreedomfamily.com
Families Helping Families
Helping each other get out of debt.

PepperfireWed Jan-30-08 08:41 AM

#2. "RE: Infant and Toddler food website."
In response to Reply # 0

I posted a response to this question, I thought, yesterday, but it seems to have not registered, so I will try and answer again.

The short answer to your question is...

No, legally you cannot do this from home.

BUT...

You can build yourself a separate kitchen in your home that is used solely for this purpose. It will need to be registered and inspected and you will have to abide by your local and State laws about home businesses, but in this way, you can work from home.

The next thing that you need to know is that by marketing these products on the internet you automatically become subject to International marketing rules for baby food products.

To begin with, baby food is the most controlled and monitored section the FDA deals with. You're asking for a packet of rules and regulations to follow, ALL of which, I might add, you are liable to KNOW and ABIDE by, even if there is no "checklist" anywhere available (not even on the FDA website) to help you figure out what all those rules and regulations are.

I recommend that, if you really want to do this, you first contact your local business development center and see how they can help you.

Then, I recommend that you find out all the rules and regulations that the FDA have that apply to baby food. And when you think you've found all of them, look again five more times just to be sure that you've found them all.

If you have any specific questions that have to do with international food manufacture, distributing and marketing, feel free to post them, I can probably save you some steps and headaches going forward.

That said... I recommend that you put your "internet" sales idea on hold for the moment and take a look at developing your local market first. It is a lot less expensive and the rules and regulations are a lot less extensive.

The main reason I say this, is because I have been in business for four full years, I tell about 300,000 people a year to my website, and my sales, while steady and increasing, are still not enough to live off of, even as a part-time income.

From a quick google, this: http://www.homemadebaby.com/ seems to be your only "internet" competition. As you can see, their site is for information, not sales as they sell locally. You might want to contact them (assuming you are in a different geographical location and not their immediate competition) and see if they can give you some advice. (You'd be surprised at how helpful some people can be, all you have to do is ask).

Good luck with it and let me know if I can help.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

EireishgrlThu Jan-31-08 09:38 AM

#3. "RE: Infant and Toddler food website."
In response to Reply # 2

Tina,
Thank you very much for your information. It was very helpful. I agree about starting locally. I am actually starting a cafe/boutique and one of my products available will be home-made baby & toddler food. I will have my own kitchen whe I open. But, I was sort of hoping to get a name established for some of my products before I open my doors.
Still early days yet. research, research, research!
Thanks again!
Aoife

PepperfireThu Jan-31-08 11:23 AM

#4. "RE: Infant and Toddler food website."
In response to Reply # 3

That's great to hear!

If you think I can help in any way, do feel welcome to ask.

T

Eat more peppers!

EireishgrlSat Feb-02-08 08:31 PM

#5. "RE: Infant and Toddler food website."
In response to Reply # 4

I had heard from a couple of friends that there is a cafe in OB that caters to parents with children. It has toys and little couches, etc. I went searching for this place today. Boy, was I disappointed! It was a burger joint with a couple of comfy chairs in the corner and some toys. The place is dirty. I have no idea when the last time was thos eold toys were washed. Most were not working because the battieries were dead. The floor was filthy. I have no idea when the last time it was mopped. I'm not a prude at all. I believe a baby becomes more resilient the more it is exposed to. Within reason. But, this place was not at all a safe place for a baby to play in. Nice people. But, that's where it stops.

What I want to know is, do you think my idea of a comfy, safe, clean place where parents, both mothers and fathers can come and hang out and unwind while their kids play is a good idea? That is part of my idea. There will be a seperate area full of toys, walkers, bouncers, etc. People can come with their kids and have unscheduled playdates with other children and have time to unwind, have a coffee and home-made pastries. Comfy couches, tables, Wi-Fi access, a small reference library, newspapers & magazines. Maybe even have some young kid from a local college studying child-development playing with the children. Do you like this idea? I don't think there is another place like this anywhere in San Diego.

PepperfireThu Feb-14-08 08:57 AM

#8. "RE: Infant and Toddler food website."
In response to Reply # 5

Now you're talking... I think that is a great idea.

This is one of the reasons why McDonald's play centers are so popular, so mom's can send their kids into the playground and sit and have their lunch/coffee without worrying about the kids.

T

Eat more peppers!

ecommercedivaTue Feb-12-08 07:42 AM

#6. "RE: Infant and Toddler food website."
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Eireishgrl,

There's a really great book called "From Kitchen to Market: Selling Your Gourmet Food Specialty" by Stephen Hall.

It's really helpful in explaining the ins and outs of starting a food business, including all the federal regulations, how to find out about local regulations in your area, production, profit, marketing, etc.

It's a good reference for other non-food craft businesses as well.

You can probably find it at any major book store or online at Amazon.com.

In addition, once you find out about your regulations, you can also explore selling your home made goodies on web sites like Etsy.com. It's like eBay, except it's only for people who want to buy and sell handmade/homemade products. They have a whole section for baked goods, herbs, sauces, etc.
http://www.etsy.com/category_top.php?top_tag=plants_and_edibles

Good luck with your business!

Jamila White
The E-Commerce Diva(tm)
http://www.ecommercediva.com
*as seen in Entrepreneur Magazine*

EireishgrlTue Feb-12-08 10:09 AM

#7. "RE: Infant and Toddler food website."
In response to Reply # 6

Thank you so much Tamila. I am definitely going to check out that book.

Best regards,
Aoife

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #2026 Previous topic | Next topic