Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1879

Subject: "Any suggestions where to start?" Previous topic | Next topic
bombdog67Fri Nov-30-07 06:01 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Any suggestions where to start?"

I just came across this site and think it is great.
So here is my story. I am currently working overseas on a contract. I will return home (small town Iowa)with $10,000 saved and not a whole lot of job prospects. I have worked as a contractor for Dept. of State, Department of Defense, and the United Nations working bomb dogs or as an instructor for police K9 handlers (Bosnia, Iraq, Kosovo). I have been a cop for 21 years. In other words not a whole lot of marketable skills and returning to the street as a 40 year old rookie isn't appealing.

I would like to use the money I have saved to start a business, but being a cop, I am skeptical about alot of the "business opportunities" out there. It is not a whole lot for start-up but Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Any suggestions where to start?
Nov 27th 2007

CyberHostTue Nov-27-07 04:59 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#2. "RE: Any suggestions where to start?"
In response to Reply # 0

HI,
Sounds like you have great experience that would be in growing demand as a dog trainer for police & sheriff departments, etc. Contact people in your local law and security agencies and organizations to research how your local departments find this type of training now.

If there are companies in place, why don't you start working for them first, so you can get a feel for how the business side works, then you can determine whether you want to start your own -- maybe there's a specialty you know that others with less experience can't offer.

Or, if there's a need that's not being met, just get started. Try to find out how you should price, etc. from others doing it in other geographic areas... there's probably an organization of people in this field you could/should join... now. Ask around, if you aren't already a member of it.

With your kind of experience and the credentials you list above, you just need to get the word out that you'll be offering your skills in the US. Once you get set up, agencies from other geographic areas will probably send you their dogs, so you are not limited to your small town in Iowa.

You can also do some training for regular people with their pets, if you need to augment or fill in between government contracts.

Your story about where you've been and what all you've done working with dogs will make great PR, so you should be able to get great press.

Cheers,
Cyberhost at Idea Cafe, The Fun Place for Serious Business

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1879 Previous topic | Next topic