Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1864

Subject: "Would you???????" Previous topic | Next topic
supermom01Sat Nov-17-07 10:58 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Would you???????"

As small business owners (mostly targeting new businesses) would you pay for a advertising service? The service would create you an online presence and list you in a online business directory as well as some other advertising avenues.

Please post the pros and cons as you see them regarding this business. All feedback/questions are welcome. I look forward to viewing the replies.

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Would you???????
Nov 19th 2007
RE: Would you???????
Nov 28th 2007

PepperfireMon Nov-19-07 01:03 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Would you???????"
In response to Reply # 0

Prior to answering your question, I am going to make a couple of statements about advertising. I am operating under the assumption that you are involved in the ad service business and are trying to focus your efforts. Hopefully my thoughts will help.

I pay for advertising ONLY when I believe that there will be results or payback to the advertising.

Advertising isn't something that you can just simply shoot in the dark and have it work. For a print ad to have value, it requires visibility no less than 6 times before it will begin to see results. Of course, that's not true of all ads, but it is a good rule of thumb when one is considering publishing an ad in a newspaper or magazine. Companies that are already well known may find a shorter lead time to results, but if you expect the ad to get you known... 6 is a good starting point.

And that's not cheap; not for any of the small business owners I know.

When I do post an ad, it's is because I know that people will respond to it; they have been waiting for it, and expect it... For example, every year when we hold our open house, we put an ad in the paper. It gets results; customers bring in the coupon.

The coupon, I might add is key. Without the coupon, you have no way of knowing whether or not people responded to your ad.

Would I pay for a service, then, is the next question? And my first question to that service is... What sort of results can I expect from this service?

Other questions I would ask:

Where are you advertising?

How targeted to my demographic will the service be?

Are you working for any of my competitors?

If I don't see results, can we alter paths midstream?

How are you tracking the results of your service?

What if there are no results?

Then and only then do I actually begin to care about my cost.

I hope these thoughts help.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

GRSloganbakerWed Nov-28-07 03:30 AM

#2. "RE: Would you???????"
In response to Reply # 0

I've started several businesses and get bombarded with offers from ad-agencies, CPA's, attorneys, etc... who constantly monitor new businesses popping up. I throw most everything away. The con being that you will be one of many companies contacting the new businesses. I would suggest getting ahold of new business directories (perhaps in your local paper) that way you can target them specifically and screen who you contact.

Just my two cents!

Logan Baker
http://www.goldenrulesigns.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1864 Previous topic | Next topic