Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1847

Subject: "have an idea not sure how to go about it... need help" Previous topic | Next topic
bklyn2qnsSat Nov-10-07 04:17 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"have an idea not sure how to go about it... need help"

I have an idea but not sure how to make it happen. The reason is time because my current job is so demanding but I need something to supplement my income to make ends meet.
OK... were I live there is a need for some kind of training for small (mom & pop) businesses in customer service. There is a big lack of personal service in businesses these days but small businesses that you and I patronage everyday need help. My 1st concept was to hold seminars/workshops for small business owners/managers twice a month at a local conference room. But again time is a factor. The other idea I thought about was to have an online forum were owners can ask questions about customers service,their questions could be answered or other small business owners can throw ideas back and forth improving there customer service or just how to resolve there customer service issues. But on the site business owners would register with the site for a small fee every month. How does this business concept sound? Any ideas on how I should go about this??

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: have an idea not sure how to go about it... need help
Nov 10th 2007
RE: have an idea not sure how to go about it... need help
Nov 11th 2007

achievedisplaySat Nov-10-07 05:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: have an idea not sure how to go about it... need help"
In response to Reply # 0

In my opinion, it is going to be difficult to make money off of either. I don't see a lot of "mom and pop" businesses shelling out cash for customer service training. To me, customer service is something large corporations spend money on improving once they have finished with sales training.

The online idea - you are talking about competing with a place similar to this forum. Would you have posted this question on a site if you had to pay for the answer? I think the information is just too available, especially when you have to compete with Yahoo answers and Linked In. Have you ever been to Linked In's question section? They do for free what you would charge for, and you get to network there at the same time.

The best way I could think for you to make this a success would be to get subsidized by the state or Fed Govt. There are usually procurement dollars out there for teaching business owners how to do business with the federal govt...or some other new business skill. Kind of like subsidized SCORE counselors. There was a woman who did this in my area and was modestly successful.

I agree that there is a big lack of personal service in business these days. Good Luck.

Joe
Achieve Display
http://www.achievedisplay.com
Retail Store Fixtures
Food Service Equipment

bklyn2qnsSun Nov-11-07 03:24 AM

#2. "RE: have an idea not sure how to go about it... need help"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you for reply I will definitely look into govt. or city subsidizes. I'm happy to see that you agree with me about small businesses lacking that personal touch.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1847 Previous topic | Next topic