Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #182

Subject: "I am looking for information" Previous topic | Next topic
pfaganSat Sep-23-06 01:59 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"I am looking for information"

Has anyone here heard of Primerica?

I am considering become a rep and starting my own financial coaching business.

If you have heard of Primerica what has been your experience?

Does it work like the current reps describe.

Other thoughts?

Thanks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: I am looking for information
Sep 29th 2006
coaching
Oct 21st 2006
Oct 26th 2006
Oct 27th 2006
Oct 29th 2006
Oct 30th 2006
Oct 29th 2006
Oct 30th 2006
Nov 17th 2006
Nov 25th 2006

bizdevFri Sep-29-06 07:52 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: I am looking for information"
In response to Reply # 0

I've known a couple of people that tried it. It's legit, but not as easy as they make it sound. I knew someone that worked it part time for a couple of years then took it full time. As hard as she worked at it it was never what she hoped. The insurance and financial options they sell can be gotten elsewhere for less. And from what I heard (I sat in on the sales pitch and also attended their initial recruitment meeting) their "advice" wasn't in the customer's best interest. When I questioned their tactics (in front of a group of attendees) they refused to acknowledge my questions. You have to work long and hard to develop the leads and of course the amount of leads that turn into sales can be miniscule.

That was just my experience. I've heard from others that they enjoyed the business, but I've never heard of anyone that actually was able to make a decent living at it.

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

magicalmoneySat Oct-21-06 11:42 AM

#2. "coaching"
In response to Reply # 0

Sorry, I never heard of them.

I have a suggestion there is a great movie - I think it could help a little, but I am not sure and here is a forum to go into for ideas on coaching places.

www.thesecret.tv

www.powerfulintentions.com

"Only losers buy Leads"

http://www.payitforward4profits.com/magicalmoney

AdlavrinelThu Oct-26-06 10:00 AM

#3. "RE: I am looking for information"
In response to Reply # 0

You can start your own Financial Coaching business from scratch you really don't need to buy into another company. You just need to do your homework. If you have a financial background then this could be a good fit for you. Don't buy into something that might not work for you and I have not heard of them making people good money. I am assuming that you want to make a livable income.

PepperfireFri Oct-27-06 09:13 AM

#4. "RE: I am looking for information"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,

Before selling my business and joining my husband in our current company, I owned a successful INDEPENDENT financial services company. I often had the opportunity to run into Primerica reps in my travels. Here in Canada, and from what I understand, they are the least respected of anyone in the financial services industry. Do not join them without talking to several ex-Primerica reps first!!!

The studies you will have to do and the licensing you will have to get will be the same whether you join Primerica or any more respected financial company. The key difference, aside from how much respect you'll get from others in the financial field, is who owns your customers and what you can do with them.

Interestingly enough Primerica will own all of your customers and they can be taken away from you and given to another rep (your recruiter?) at any time, and this, without your permission, nor will there be anything you can say about it.

Primerica will require you to work to generate a pre-set quantity of sales, regardless of whether or not you really want a full-time job or not; even though they'll tell you that you can work as much or as little as you like. You will be at the mercy of the company in the event that they decide they don't want you anymore. This can happen at any time in your career, but more often than not will occur at the end of your second year; just as you're starting to really make money. At which point, you will be required to start over again from scratch, with a new company, without a customer base, because you signed a non-comp with Primerica. (A contract I might add, which isn't worth the paper it is printed on.)

If you are seriously interested in owning a financial coaching business, you'd be wiser to seek entering the business as a respected independent than as a disrespected Primerica rep.

If you are in the US, I can introduce you to a respected financial coach with whom I network and she can tell you how to go about starting your business so that you do what you want, but it really is your own business and if you're Canadian, then I can easily give you recommendations for several companies who can do the same.

Either way, Primerica is not what anyone with long time in financial services, in any way, would call a respectable financial company, and from what I've seen, their reputation in the US is far worse than it is here in Canada. For what it's worth, they have more in common with Mary Kay and Amway than they do Goldman Sachs. Of course, it all depends on what you really want to do. Many people have a great career with Primerica, but only so long as they stay committed to the company and the company stays committed to them. The more you learn about investing, the less you will see that Primerica is a good opportunity, but as I said, it all depends on what you really want to do.

If you would like to ask more explicit questions, feel free to contact me off-list.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

AdlavrinelSun Oct-29-06 09:42 AM

#5. "RE: I am looking for information"
In response to Reply # 4

I used to be in the financial industry for years. When I tried to start on my own I got alot of questions concerning starting a business and credit issues. I wasn't able to launch a financial services business due to my children being diagnosed with illnesses. I ended up having to table the whole idea. I wondered what were the most common questions you got in the industry and why did you leave the industry? If you don't mind my asking. Thank you.

PepperfireMon Oct-30-06 09:15 AM

#7. "RE: I am looking for information"
In response to Reply # 5

I never had any difficutly with starting a business or credit issues, I simply found a dealer that was willing to work with me and allow me to run my own business, but then I was a financial advisor not a coach. Why would your children's illnesses have anything to do with your ability to go into this business... had you declared bankruptcy? Because that could preclude the ability to be licensed in the industry, but isn't terminal.

I left the business because selling hot sauce to chiliheads is a lot more fun than investments ever were. Especially in the 2000-2003 period!

Eat more peppers!

StrategistSun Oct-29-06 07:26 PM

#6. "RE: I am looking for information"
In response to Reply # 0

They are a reputable company.

Looking back of whom I know was a rep, (4), only 1 has survived.

They provide very good training and support.

That doesn't seem to be enough for most. IMO, I would try another company.

Maria Marsala

Let me help you substantially grow your financial advisory business or nonprofit with P.E.P. Increase productivity, efficiency, and profit.

Learn more and get free tips at http://www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com

PepperfireMon Oct-30-06 09:17 AM

#8. "RE: I am looking for information"
In response to Reply # 6

Based on your experience... Is the good training that good that only 1 in 4 is still in the business? Or is the training good for learning how to run an MLM and recruit new advisors? It is my understanding that THIS is the good training that Primerica reps receive. They certainly aren't being trained in giving good financial advice.

Eat more peppers!

MimFri Nov-17-06 08:52 AM

#9. "RE: I am looking for information"
In response to Reply # 8

I've heard of Primerica and was looking for a job when they scheduled me for an "interview" however it wasn't an 'interview' but a long session winding up by expecting me to open my own business at my expense and a complete waste of time for me. I felt it was very misleading and incorrect to have to lie about their advertising.

If you are still looking for a way to make money, I am currently working with several business coaches and would be happy to share the information with you. Please contact me toll free at:
800-801-6242 Ext. 1388. I'm on eastern time and available from
9 - 5:30 Monday - Friday.

This is not MLM or 'network marketing' or any cost to you at all but a few moments of your time.

Best regards,
Myriam Scherr

Myriam Scherr,
Affiliate Coordinator,
American Capital Advance
800-801-6242 Ext. 1388

jilliansmillSat Nov-25-06 04:17 PM

#10. "RE: I am looking for information"
In response to Reply # 0

Ask the question at www.directmatches.com/jilliansmill it is free and you will get thousands of people instantly that will answer that. Everone has an opinion but the people there are all networking together worldwide, you will find tons of support. You have to be sponsored so cut and paste the link. Its free so have fun.

Also before you try any online business I would take this free course it is totally free, you can take the crash course which is just a 40 minute video which is excellent.

https://jillianetherington.cashflow.123.com

If I can help any further please feel free to call me. 615 859 6494.

I have been self employed for 25 years if you go to direct matches look me up and read my profile, contact me if you need to. 615 859 6494

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #182 Previous topic | Next topic