Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1806

Subject: "Selling my Stuff to Stores" Previous topic | Next topic
Reggie77Wed Oct-31-07 05:21 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Selling my Stuff to Stores"

I am Designing Bridal Accessories and would like to sell wholesale to small boutiques and stores. Would it be inappropriate to send boutiques a sample item with my price list and order form vs. making an actual visit to the store to talk to the buyer? My reason is I want to sell all over the country. I also plan to sell retail via the web.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Selling my Stuff to Stores
Oct 31st 2007
Nov 01st 2007
Nov 02nd 2007

ElleBlueWed Oct-31-07 06:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Selling my Stuff to Stores"
In response to Reply # 0

Do you have your website up yet? I would send them a postcard with a photo of one of your items along with your company name, web address and a caption. On the back, you may want to inform the customer he can obtain your prices by visiting your website or request a catalog through e-mail.

Best Regards,
Elle

www.grafusion.biz

If you plan to open a business, visit my blog. Sound advice for the entrepreneur.
www.ellescorner.com

achievedisplayThu Nov-01-07 05:33 PM

#2. "RE: Selling my Stuff to Stores"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi,
If it were me, I would consider selling locally first for a couple of different reasons.
- You will get to know your customers better!
- You will refine your product faster, ultimately making it more attractive to national buyers.

When you sell locally, it will be easier to respond to your customer's needs. This will also reduce the logistical headache if something goes wrong nationally, such as customer dissatisfaction.

Most of all though, when you have local customers that you can meet, you will force yourself to understand what is important to them.

I wouldn't suggest sending samples to people you haven't spoken to. I would at least call on them. If you have trouble cold calling or getting appointments - Here is a basic set-up:

1. Greet your potential customer and Identify yourself
2. Note your referrer if you have one
3. Tell them why you are calling - say something that you have been doing that relates to what they do.
4. Identify a benefit that has resulted from what you are doing (for instance: you have created a new type of bridal accessory that is becoming mainstream)
5. Confirm that it would be useful to them ("I'm sure that providing Brides with a more memorable experience is important to your company, isn't it?")
6. If they agree, close and make the appointment (It will only take me 5 minutes to show you what I have created - Is Tuesday at 7 ok?)
7. If not - Ask questions to uncover what is going on with their business.
8. When you find someway your services could benefit them, tell them how another one of your customers had the same concerns, and you were able to help them in such and such ways.

After all of this, if all else fails, consider sending them the sample.

- My thoughts on bridal accessories -
If I were to create one, I would concentrate on something that the Bride could keep, was easily personalizable, and memorable. Like a second veil, but not a veil.

Just my thoughts
Good Luck!

Joe
Achieve Display
http://www.achievedisplay.com
Retail Store Fixtures
Food Service Equipment

juliarussoFri Nov-02-07 05:25 AM

#3. "RE: Selling my Stuff to Stores"
In response to Reply # 2

Okay, let's assume you have the right profit margins set up on your products to sell wholesale. Can you supply the retailer on a regular basis? Will you have to take custom orders or do you have an inventory? Lots of details to tackle before selling wholesale---so if you have done your homework and are ready to present your products, I would suggest emailing images of the products to online retailers who may have your products' market interest.
For example, I have a website and a retail store that offers, along with our baby gifts, accessories for the bride. We have jewelry and want to offer other items. Email me your images or website address so we may consider your products.
julia@StorkandVeil.com

Beyond your local and online testing, you can consider selling at retail during local shows, festivals and bridal shows to also test the interest. That way, you have the bugs worked out when a retailer asks what items sell.
So if you have something of interest, is readily available in quantity, drop me a note--I will consider your line.
'Good luck,
Julia
http://www.StorkandVeil.com

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1806 Previous topic | Next topic