Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #18

Subject: "Young professional looking to startup a fitness business." Previous topic | Next topic
brzl1979Wed Aug-09-06 08:09 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Young professional looking to startup a fitness business."

Hi my name is Karina and I am looking for a career change. I run a real estate title company. In the past two years I have decided to change my path and do something different. I have started taking Pilates certification programs and I would like to open up my own business. I guess I need some guidance. I have some people who will help me with my idea, but I just don't want to jump into something with taking the right steps first. I read an old topic where someone was looking to open a fitness center for people and dogs. I love the idea and have never seen anything like this where I live. I live in northern NJ and I can just imagine that something like this would be great. If anyone has ideas, critiques, suggestions and,biz plan samples to share I am open for anything. Like I said I am blind to this industry.

I can also be e-mailed at brzl1979@aim.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Gym ideas
Aug 09th 2006
RE: Young professional looking to startup a fitness business.
Aug 14th 2006
RE: Young professional looking to startup a fitness business.
Aug 23rd 2006

MarlinCreekWed Aug-09-06 05:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "Gym ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

I had just put up some ideas about the Gym / Fitness business on my site... they might help with some creative juices.

http://marlincreek.com/content/category/15/49/50/

Good Luck

Marlin Creek - Idea Seeds
http://marlincreek.com

Roseb441702Mon Aug-14-06 08:54 PM

#2. "RE: Young professional looking to startup a fitness business."
In response to Reply # 0

>Hi my name is Karina and I am looking for a career change. I
>run a real estate title company. In the past two years I have
>decided to change my path and do something different. I have
>started taking Pilates certification programs and I would like
>to open up my own business. I guess I need some guidance. I
>have some people who will help me with my idea, but I just
>don't want to jump into something with taking the right steps
>first. I read an old topic where someone was looking to open a
>fitness center for people and dogs. I love the idea and have
>never seen anything like this where I live. I live in northern
>NJ and I can just imagine that something like this would be
>great. If anyone has ideas, critiques, suggestions and,biz
>plan samples to share I am open for anything. Like I said I am
>blind to this industry.
>
>I can also be e-mailed at brzl1979@aim.com

Well to help decrease the fear it would be a good idea for you to make a business plan. One of the first questions that will need to be answered is WHERE your business will be. Will you start small in your home - using a room - or are you talking about using/renting/buying space? If it is the latter then you will have to consider your overhead. Your financing - do you have money saved that you will want to use or are you going to seek financing? You can start looking around for investors, grants, loans, etc., but you will still need to know how much your costs are going to be. You need to actually know that cost so you can compare it to what you have now (or what financing you are seeking). You will need to know how much in profit you will have to make. Decide where your income will be coming from - memberships - how much will you charge for memberships, classes, etc., You should also look into ways of increasing your income/visibility/reputation. The best form of advertising is "word of mouth" - which means when you do a great job the word will spread which simply means that you should do a great job for your customers. And your customer base can include more besides the "basic" fitness clients. What about providing health-related exercise classes? What about providing rehabilitation classes?

My point here is that if this is something that you truly enjoy doing other related opportunities will come along. How about providing your customer base with literature, answering questions - sort of like a Q & A column where they can write/email and ask questions.....

I think that every business idea has merit but I think it would be a very good idea if you had some sort of plan in order - if for no other reason just to see it down on paper.

Rose
Grant Basics 101
http://grantbasics101.bravehost.com/grants.htm

freejerkyWed Aug-23-06 03:45 PM

#3. "RE: Young professional looking to startup a fitness business."
In response to Reply # 2

I was just talking to my daughters dance teacher and told her wouldn't it be great if there was a gym next door so the moms could go workout for the hour while our little ones took dance. Maybe you could do some kind of a deal with a place that kids are at for an hour, like dance to offer their Moms. Thats where I got a lot of the Moms I enrolled to get jerky every month was at dance and explained how healthy it was yatta yatta yatta some started it for a business and some just for the healthy jerky...so just look around and think outside the box.
Good luc

Laura
We are all about families helping families!
http://www.jerky4free.com
No Selling - No Parties - Any Age

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #18 Previous topic | Next topic