Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1787

Subject: "what are the pros and cons of running a bridesmaids dresses rental business?" Previous topic | Next topic
KaylieSun Oct-28-07 05:01 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"what are the pros and cons of running a bridesmaids dresses rental business?"

My sister and I are thinking about opening a business that specializes in renting out bridesmaids dresses. However, she's a single mom with two young children, which will prevent her from running the business full time. I know that there are many difficulties my sister and I will have to face opening and running this business. In order to better prepare myself to run this business mostly by myself, I'm asking for your opinion on what are the pros and cons of running a bridesmaids dresses rental business? Btw, we live in Southern California. I would like to thanks all of you in advance for your help.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: what are the pros and cons of running a bridesmaids dresses rental business?
Oct 28th 2007
RE: what are the pros and cons of running a bridesmaids dresses rental business?
Oct 28th 2007
Oct 30th 2007

achievedisplaySun Oct-28-07 06:21 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: what are the pros and cons of running a bridesmaids dresses rental business?"
In response to Reply # 0

My sister worked in exactly this same type of business and here is her synopsis from speaking with her.

High up-front costs

You have to deal with VERY demanding people

It is difficult to price the rentals versus their lifetime use.

Some suggestions:
Get to know the people that work in this industry but are not competing (tent rental companies, caterers, bakers, wedding planners, etc)

You will probably need some serious seamstress skills as the majority of the dresses will need to be altered.

One of my customers actually did something similar to this and here is something they did to make their business more successful:

They set up a semiannual bridal convention in their area at their civic center. They called up everyone associated with the industry and got them to purchase booths for the event. This covered the rental costs of the location. This may seem like a headache, but according to them it was the ultimate networking tool - They were at the center of a great network of people that they could pass business to and from.

My take on the business is that it is all about qualified referrals.

I would hire or be associated with a freelance photographer that you could pass deals on to your customers.

Hope this helps

Joe
Achieve Display
http://www.achievedisplay.com
Retail Store Fixtures
Food Service Equipment

KaylieSun Oct-28-07 07:29 PM

#2. "RE: what are the pros and cons of running a bridesmaids dresses rental business?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thank you so much for your very informative response. Do you happen to know on average how many pieces per style per size I should carry in my store?

achievedisplayTue Oct-30-07 11:42 AM

#3. "RE: what are the pros and cons of running a bridesmaids dresses rental business?"
In response to Reply # 2

I will ask her when I get the chance. For the fastest answer, I would go to a local place and count theirs or call and ask them outright.

Joe
Achieve Display
Retail Store Fixtures
Food Service Equipment

Joe
Achieve Display
Retail Store Fixtures
Food Service Equipment

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1787 Previous topic | Next topic