Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #166

Subject: "new idea need advice please" Previous topic | Next topic
bjorkkThu Sep-14-06 07:31 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"new idea need advice please"

Hi I have an idea that would be to solely incoming college students. I live in a college town and all of the new students are unaware of the secret little treasures so to speak that they can do. I wanted to start kind of like a newspaper that would inform them where to go what to do, ie., shopping, dining, picnics, fishing, golfing, canoeing, etc. Know one is aware of all this town has to offer and that is why they go home every weekend. I know I did not know of these things until probably my fourth year in college. I would generate revenue by advertising to local businesses that the college students would not know of either. In the future I was considering classified ads solely for college students, but that is if I can get this idea off the ground. I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about printing, costs, etc. I would appreciate any criticism, advice, etc. thank you

Kenny

kenny

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: new idea need advice please
Sep 16th 2006
Sep 16th 2006
Sep 17th 2006
Sep 20th 2006
Sep 23rd 2006

bizdevSat Sep-16-06 12:34 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. " RE: new idea need advice please"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Kenny. Hey I like your idea. However, since you're targeting college kids have you considered doing this on line instead of in print? I would have to assume it would be less costly. And wouldn't that age group be more apt to look for your information online? Then the trick would be to get the word out about your web site. You could still incorporate your classified ads in the same site.

Good luck with your idea!

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

NancySat Sep-16-06 01:51 PM

#2. "RE: new idea need advice please"
In response to Reply # 0

Kenny, I would definitely go with a website rather than a print publication. To get links to your site, contact the very businesses you want as advertisers since many of them will have websites. You can build links and advertisers at the same time!

Your idea has a lot of merit. A business that advertises in the same publication which contains an article about them usually gets much better results from their ad.

With a website, you can offer your advertiser a full-color, full page ad that they wouldn't be able to afford in print.

Adding a blog or a message board (or both) to your site are worth considering, especially given your market.

Another way to encourage word-of-mouth for your website is to include news and photos of college-related events. Contact fraternities, sororities, and other organizations on campus for news. In other words, you could make your site not only for them, but about them.

You could probably find some students who would be willing to provide interesting content for nothing but the glory.

Most likely, the students themselves will be a willing and volunteer "marketing team" for your website.

Nancy
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com
Cheap Advertising Ideas

freejerkySun Sep-17-06 06:35 AM

#3. "RE: new idea need advice please"
In response to Reply # 0

I think this is a great idea as well. You can put out flyers in the very places that your college market will be. For next semester hand out flyers to kids getting their books, go to dorms and hang them there. Make it interesting enough to catch their attention and don't put all your information on there at once (this way they visit back weekly or monthly or daily) I like the message board idea too. People would definately advertize on there depending on how much you advertize for yourself to get people there. When you get up and running give me a shout, I am starting to work with college age kids (my daughter just started college and helping them earn money for themselves while they are in college so they can consintrate on schooling more than going to work). Good Luck!

Oh another idea...have them give you their email addy and you can send them updates when you have added things, this way you have a way to remind them to visit back.

Laura:P

Laura
We are all about families helping families!
http://www.jerky4free.com
No Selling - No Parties - Any Age

NancyWed Sep-20-06 09:09 AM

#4. "RE: new idea need advice please"
In response to Reply # 3

Laura made a very good point about not putting everything on your site at once. Both visitors and search engines love sites with frequently changing content. That's one good thing about message boards. Your visitors generate content for you.

Nancy

pfaganSat Sep-23-06 01:57 PM

#5. "RE: new idea need advice please"
In response to Reply # 0

As a college administrator I have seen these things come and go very quickly in many forms.

What you will want to do is connect to the person who does orientation. Getting it to the college students will be easy. Getting advertising may not be as easy.

You may want to consider a website as well.

Good luck.

>Hi I have an idea that would be to solely incoming college
>students. I live in a college town and all of the new
>students are unaware of the secret little treasures so to
>speak that they can do. I wanted to start kind of like a
>newspaper that would inform them where to go what to do, ie.,
>shopping, dining, picnics, fishing, golfing, canoeing, etc.
>Know one is aware of all this town has to offer and that is
>why they go home every weekend. I know I did not know of
>these things until probably my fourth year in college. I
>would generate revenue by advertising to local businesses that
>the college students would not know of either. In the future
>I was considering classified ads solely for college students,
>but that is if I can get this idea off the ground. I was just
>wondering if anyone knew anything about printing, costs, etc.
>I would appreciate any criticism, advice, etc. thank you
>
>Kenny
>

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #166 Previous topic | Next topic