Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1612

Subject: "$ 15000 idea" Previous topic | Next topic
miliousWed Aug-20-08 01:23 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"$ 15000 idea"

i need help trying to figure out what i need to do for startup a business with 15 grand, i been saving for a year, and now i want you guys to help me with some idea how i could double my money??

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: $ 15000 idea
Sep 05th 2007
Sep 05th 2007
Sep 08th 2007
Sep 10th 2007
Sep 11th 2007
Sep 12th 2007
Sep 12th 2007
Sep 13th 2007
Sep 28th 2007
Sep 28th 2007
Aug 25th 2008
Oct 03rd 2007
Oct 07th 2007
Aug 19th 2008
Aug 24th 2008

itaxbackWed Sep-05-07 06:55 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 0

>i need help trying to figure out what i need to do for
>startup a business with 15 grand, i been saving for a year,
>and now i want you guys to help me with some idea how i could
>double my money??

This is MUCH less expensive than you are looking for. Check it out and let me know if you are interested in more information.

http://www.howifiredmyboss.com

For more info - kcpake@gmail.com

miliousWed Sep-05-07 04:17 PM

#2. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 1

i need more of a biz foundation idea im sorry i dont agree with some of the internet or networking program...do you have any other idea???????????

itaxbackSat Sep-08-07 03:57 AM

#3. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 2

>i need more of a biz foundation idea im sorry i dont agree
>with some of the internet or networking program...do you have
>any other idea???????????

Hello, I respect your choice to stay away from network marketing etc. With the YTB program, you don't NEED to sell the program to make money. you actually make money when anybody books travel through your online travel website. I only started it because I travel A LOT for work. The money I have made from booking travel on my own site (instead of expedia, travelocity etc..) has paid for the program twice over.

OK - so your not interested in anything online. Is there a service that you could provide to your local community? Maybe something others don't do already or something others don't want to do? What type of background do you have? Do you have special skills or experience that you can apply to a business? Are you looking to start something on your own or have you looked at different franchise opportunities? Lots of stuff to consider.

R/
KC

PepperfireMon Sep-10-07 04:21 AM

#4. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 0

You could use a photocopier.

Ok, joking aside... How much time do you have and what are you good at?

Doubling one's money doesn't just happen overnight... It's taken us almost five years to build our business to where it is. Simply having the startup capital would have been no guarantee of success, we would have still had to do all the work.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

tamaralysterTue Sep-11-07 03:17 PM

#5. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 4

Good on you for working hard and saving a nice little nest egg but I second Tina's comment. There really are no "get rich quick" schemes that will guarantee a large return. Your better off investing in a business that will grow gradually but steadily.

The first step down that path is deciding what it is you want to do. What are you passionate about? Where do your skills lie? What can you offer your community? Are you wanting a work from home business or not? Are you planning on working this business full time and long term? What other commitments do you have that may get in the way of a new business?

Carefully consider every avenue as you narrow down your search. Careful and thorough research will be needed to ensure you invest wisely so make sure you keep track of all your ideas. Visit a local small business advisory that may give you valuable insight into what you will need to do.

What about investing your money into a established business? Do you know anyone that owns an existing business that may be willing to take on a partner? Ask around your local community, you may be surprised by what pops up.

At this point I don't think there is much more advice I can give you. Define what it is you may want to do then come back for more help.

All the best and good luck to you.

Regards,

Tamara

Tamara Lyster Online
www.tamaralyster.net
A marketing concept for businesses focussed on health, wellness, personal development and human growth.

-Strategic Brand Development
-High Impact Business Writing
-OnDemand "Cost-Per-Query" Marketing

CamWed Sep-12-07 05:58 AM

#6. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 5

I also have to agree with the others.

What are your interests?

You might want to look into real estate investing as an option to create more wealth with your money. Google "how to start real estate investing" and you will find a wealth of information on how to get started. I invested $3,000 into a townhouse and after 4 years made $30,000 profit. It definitely isn't a get-rick quick scheme but definitely something to look into.

If you need more ideas or come up with something, let me know

Cameo D. Hoey
www.hipmamaclub.com

tamaralysterWed Sep-12-07 12:02 PM

#7. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 6

Great suggestion Cameo. With the value of property rising steadily it's not hard to make a tidy profit off your initial investment. It's fairly low risk and because it's passive you are still free to continue working on other things.

I'm sure you will not struggle to find a local property investor that will be able to offer you some sound advice or possibly an investment opportunity.

If this is an avenue that interests you i'd also suggest you visit a property lawyer that can advise you on the legalities involved.

Good luck once again.

Regards,

Tamara

Tamara Lyster Online
www.tamaralyster.net
A marketing concept for businesses focussed on health, wellness, personal development and human growth.

PepperfireThu Sep-13-07 08:12 AM

#8. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 7

I'd be careful investing in Real Estate at this point, if you're not familiar with the field, you could end up buying when you should be selling. In which case, it will take a lot longer than that to recover not only your paper loss, but to double the money.

Real Estate historically averages 2.5% returns a year.

Flipping properties can be great, IF you know what you're doing. I like watching those "flip the property" shows on TV and frankly, I see many people end up eating their investment and actually losing money.

Whatever you decide to do with your money, investigate the project to the nth degree before signing anything. Know what you're getting into before you get into it and know how you're going to get out of it what you want to get out of it; iow, make sure you CAN write a workable business and marketing plan before you spend the 15K.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

klevaFri Sep-28-07 03:25 AM

#9. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri Sep-28-07 03:27 AM by kleva

Hi there! What area/services/industry are you interested in working in ? Will you be working in your local community or something online ? Are you starting your own business or getting a franchise ? There's a lot to figure out first before you spend!

http://shortlinks.co.uk/4c7
Raise Capital in 90 Days Online - Now!

miliousFri Sep-28-07 07:21 AM

#10. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 9

i like to thank everyone with thier insight, but what about open up a retial store in the one of the west indies island any idea??

bizconsultantMon Aug-25-08 04:13 AM

#16. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 10

If this is your lifes savings,then you dont need to gamble it on something speculative. you can acquire partnership interest in a cash flowing business that you can grow with additional funding. if you need help with such a strategy , feel free to contact me via email at ajones@abcsolutions.cjb.net Network marketing,MLM or starting a new business in these times could produce as much loss as it would reward and with personal money....I wouldnt risk it.

>i like to thank everyone with thier insight, but what about
>open up a retial store in the one of the west indies island
>any idea??

Anthony Jones - Business Consultant
ABC Solutions
ajones@abcsolutions.cjb.net

PatsyWed Oct-03-07 05:45 AM

#11. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 0

You've had several comments on real estate -- I agree this is a scary time to pursue real estate unless you can do more than just invest in it. My plan worked out like this........

I was looking about 4 years out when I developed my plan. Owned a house and rented it out (rent was mortgage payment plus extra $250 added to the principal). Bought a condo that needed $9,500 in repairs and updates. Moved into the condo and immediately found a housemate and luckily she stayed the entire 4 years. Her rent paid the full condo mortgage so the money I would have paid was added to my home mortgage principal.

At the end of my 4 years, I sold the condo for $60,000 profit -- used $11,000 to completely pay off the mortgage balance on my house (that I immediately moved back in). Used another $9,000 to repair some "rental issues" and invested $40,000.

There is more to real estate than just flipping. Even if you don't own -- buying, moving in and having someone pay the mortgage until you decide what to do with it works wonders...

Best of luck!

Patsy

tamaralysterSun Oct-07-07 03:37 PM

#12. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 11

Great advice Patsy and you have done a great job highlighting how successful it can be. There are most certainly risks involved in real estate investment, as there is in any type of investment, but with professional help and advice you could possibly make a tidy profit.

Tamara Lyster Online
www.tamaralyster.net

StaldrenTue Aug-19-08 03:08 AM

#13. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi there,

I am representing a danish sanitary powder for domestic animals. It is a hygiene powder used in all sorts of stables, with any kind of domestic animals.

We are currently looking for distributors in US. this might be something, if you are into sales, and live near an agricultural area. I have noticed that a big problem in the states is poultry farms where the ammonia and bad smell is creating a really bad environment for animals and workers. Fans cannot be used too much as the birds will get too cold. Our product fits this industry perfect, as it binds with ammonia, and give a fresh pine smell in the area. Thereby the farmer gets less problems with their neighbours, and so and so on!

I believe we have a great product that is not poisonous to animals and humans but will effectively kill bacteria, thereby excluding decease transmition.

OK I could keep on forever, if you would like some more info please let me know

staldren@kaupferd.com

SologrettoSun Aug-24-08 08:31 PM

#15. "RE: $ 15000 idea"
In response to Reply # 0

I would recommend you read a book named "The Richest man in Babylon."

The recommendation they cover again and again is to live beneath your means and save as much as possible.

(You did that... Good job!)

Then the recommendation becomes "Invest the money with a professional who knows their field and has a smart plan." They specifically mention to avoid persons who are looking to enter a field they don't know.

If you are that person awesome!

...but, you're probaby underestimating what you don't know.

The good news is that 15k is likely enough money to pay for the initial mistakes you will make as long as your plan is simple and inexpensive.

Lets put it this way. I have run a computer business for 10 years. I would estimate I have earned and spent almost $250,000 getting to know business and have survived on a remainder of about 20-30k/yr net on average. (admittedly 5 years of that was a small part time business with no expansion goals)

My oompany is pure profit when I am the only person involved. I go out, get work, do it, get a check. I know my industry well (my skills are general, not specialized) and am a great sales person.

The expensive side of the company was learning to deal with employees, contracts, debt, balancing for intelligent expansion and maintaining liquidity.

The business paid for all of this as I earned it before reinvesting it.

lots of words leading to:

Find someone who already learned this stuff. Invest to help them grow after they have !!proven!! they know this and are in a place where they will pay your money back whether they succeed or not.

good luck.

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1612 Previous topic | Next topic