Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1594

Subject: "Help with my Start-up" Previous topic | Next topic
jdgbookkeepingWed Aug-29-07 08:56 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Help with my Start-up"

I am looking to start up a financial services business from home. I will provide bookkeeping and tax prep services. I am looking for ideas on how I should reach out to people. I am new to the area I live in and word of mouth just isn't the best way yet. Please help!!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Help with my Start-up
Aug 29th 2007
Aug 29th 2007
Sep 05th 2007
Sep 10th 2007

DreamMakerWed Aug-29-07 11:28 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Help with my Start-up"
In response to Reply # 0

Do it for free for one year! These will bring you clients!

Aby

dmaker

rachelmartinezWed Aug-29-07 03:56 PM

#2. "RE: Help with my Start-up"
In response to Reply # 0

I have been doing bookkeeping for about 10 years, 2 as a freelancer. I'm not sure how much experience you have, so take all of this as friendly advice.

1. Know your stuff. I was managing 3 companies at once when I went out on my own. I had also done some side work for friends and family. Still, you can't know everything. Be honest about your abilities to potential clients. Never guess with other people's financial information. www.aipb.org has good information (American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers). Membership is affordable and training and certification can help.

2. Specialize in something. Whether its a specific accounting program or a certain industry, find a niche. You can accept clients outside your niche, but being seen as an expert or advisor in one or two areas give you a place to start with your marketing.

3. Word of mouth is the only way I get client, I do no advertising for my local bookkeeping services. (I do advertise my QuickBooks support services.) Join some networking groups, chambers of commerce or referral groups. As you get busier, you can participate only in the one or two most effective for you. People will ask you for advice at networking events. Help them the best you can, without taking too much time. Then give them your card and tell them to give you a call if they need more help when they get back to the office. Referrals and service calls will come as you get a reputation for solving problems and being a useful resource in your community.

4. I have a web site. It is very simple and I am upfront about the services I offer and my prices. I know I have gotten calls (and clients) because they could check out my web site and see I am a real person before we met. Having some sort of web presence can reassure people that you will be around for a while and can be trusted with their information.

These are just a few ideas I thought might be beneficial for everyone. Feel free to email me at rachel@knoxvillebookkeeper.com if you want hear more from me. I always have lots to say.

Rachel

itaxbackWed Sep-05-07 07:02 AM

#3. "RE: Help with my Start-up"
In response to Reply # 0

>I am looking to start up a financial services business from
>home. I will provide bookkeeping and tax prep services. I am
>looking for ideas on how I should reach out to people. I am
>new to the area I live in and word of mouth just isn't the
>best way yet. Please help!!!

Hi,

You can offer them a free review of their last 3-years of tax returns via my company. I have been working with a few people that offer my service to help them market clients and it has worked very well. Please see my website and contact information in my signature file.

Best of Luck,
KC

rmomentsevenMon Sep-10-07 09:09 AM

#4. "RE: Help with my Start-up"
In response to Reply # 0

I would network with the businesses at your Local Chamber of Commerce and start building relationships . Research local newspapers and magazines and contact the Editors about submitting articles. Seek out local associations and inquire about speaking opportunities. Much success !

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1594 Previous topic | Next topic