Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1591

Subject: "Rent Domain Names?" Previous topic | Next topic
bpgboTue Aug-28-07 05:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Rent Domain Names?"

Hi. Has anyone rented out their domain name? I've registered several domain names, but I'm no webmaster, and was thinking about renting them out. ( Dont' really want to sell them at this point) Does this idea have any legs?

Some domain names are polical in nature and thought maybe somebody else could do a better job than me buiding web pages. My income would
be the rental fees.

Examples below (and it is not an advertisement, so don't click it if you don't want to

www.HillaryClintonStinks.com
1800create.com
thebrownssuck.com (cleveland browns)
thecowboyssuck.com (dallas)

among others...

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Rent Domain Names?
Sep 02nd 2007
RE: Rent Domain Names?
Sep 04th 2007

nielsenclSun Sep-02-07 08:27 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Rent Domain Names?"
In response to Reply # 0

I have just over 250 domains names and follow the industy as much as I can. There are some sites that offer domains for rent but not very many. The only reason to rent a domain would be because it's such a good name that renting it would provide some kind of return. So if you have a domain that is getting traffic to the site that is on it, say for cell phones. You could rent it out to someone that is selling celphones and they would have great targeted traffic right away.

The problem is that how much would this be worth, and would it be worth more than you are getting with your own site that offers celphones or ads that are about celphones?

Also, if someone is serious about their business, they are not going to want to rent when they could buy.

I would look into using a "domain parking" service. These are companies that you point you domain to and they put ads on them that relate to the topic of your domain. The more traffic and ad clicks your domain gests, the more money you make.

If you just have a few domains and not much traffic, then you are not going to be making much money from this. You need to have a lot of domains and/or domains that are getting traffic and/or domain names that people often type in directly to see if there is a site there.

For your domains, I would either find something that allows you to easily put a site on them, like a Blogger.com blog, and spend some time putting posts on it. Run some ads like Google's AdSense and as your site gets found you will start making a little money.

For political domains, a forum would also be a good idea, but selling them is also not a bad idea if you can find a buyer, since many political topics don't stay popular forever...

Nielsen Technical Services
http://www.NielsenTech.com
http://www.Consultant-Directory.com
http://www.EbayAuctionAds.com

LeehayTue Sep-04-07 01:37 AM

#2. "RE: Rent Domain Names?"
In response to Reply # 0

While rentals do exist, it is fairly uncommon. Developers generally don't want to put time and effort into building a site and traffic only to have the rental expire and the domain owner reaping the benefits of their work.

My recommendation would be to either sell the domains that you are not interested in developing or enter a joint venture with an experienced web developer/promoter. I have entered into several agreements of this nature which has allowed me to have access to some premium domains. A portion of the revenue the site generates goes back to the domain owner.

Cheers!
Chris

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1591 Previous topic | Next topic