Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1129

Subject: "Input of 2 possible business ideas" Previous topic | Next topic
Holbunny1Tue May-08-07 05:11 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Input of 2 possible business ideas"

I'm a SAHM who is looking to start her own business. I am in a qundry as to what to do because I have an educational background in science, but have always been involved in some sort of crats. I sew, paint, bake, make jewelry, scrapbook... I don't know if I'm particularly great at any noe thing, but I dabble in a bunch of things. I have 2 ideas that I need input on.

1) Party favors: personalized party favors that fit your theme and budget. I have done the party favors for my kids birthdays and people have always complimented the favors we've given out. I hate to see a bunch of cheap novelty tiems that the parents will have to throw away later. I feel that if I'm going to do favors, there should atleast be 1 main item that the kids might be able to use again well after the party is over! The idea is to provide ready to use packages that include a couple theme-related items, typically one main item with 1-3 smaller items. For example, for a safari theme party, you would receive a canteen for each guest with their name on it, a pair of toy binoculars and some animal stickers.As stated, it would be tailored to fit the party budget so, the package could contain more or less items. I'm thinking of focusing on local parties initially, possibly trying to work some deals with some local businesses where in exchange for displaying my fliers, I put their flyer or coupon in with the favors. For those of you with kids or just those of you who enjoy throwing a party that your guests will remember, would this appeal to you? Espcially as busy parents, wouldn't it be nice to be able to have someone else put together the perfect favor for your party that would arrive at your door, ready to hand out to guests without any further work necessary from you?

2) Organic Rotisserie chicken available in 4-5 different flavors, such as cajun, or Jerk. This would be a take -out only restaurant where on the way hhome from work, you could stop in and pick-up a tasty, healthy meal for your family. Side dishes would be available that are pretty standard, but the focus is on hormone-free, antibiotic-free chicken that is well seasoned, beyond what you can get at your local supermarket. I'm focusing on the customer that is concerned about the quality of their food and trying to provide the best possible meal for their family. Pretty much a meal you would prepare, if you had the time and rotisserie to do it. I make a mean rotisserie chicken in a few different varieties, based on the many compliments I've received from friends for whom I have made it. Working with food for the public sort of scares me, but then the idea of starting up any business frightens me because I have always been the type of person that plans everything in depth and has thought through all scenerios to try to avoid failure.

Do either sound appealing or does anyone have any suggestions for me? Like I said, I'm a SAHM and I love my children, but I'm ready for a challenge beyond what my kids can throw at me!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Input of 2 possible business ideas
May 06th 2007
May 07th 2007
May 07th 2007

NancySun May-06-07 01:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"RE: Input of 2 possible business ideas"

In regard to opening a restaurant of any type, your reservations, no pun intended, are understandable. That can be a extremely difficult business in which to succeed. It has not only a high rate of failure, but also a very expensive one.

As an alternative, you might consider a catering business which would carry much less risk.

It sounds like you're more amenable to the party favors business, though. Since you're a SAHM, and want a business that will accomodate that, the party favors business sounds like a good fit for you.

You're probably already networking with your prospective customers, too - other people with children.

Nancy
http://www.CreateYourMarket.com
Marketing Ideas for the Home-Based Entrepreneur

PepperfireMon May-07-07 05:32 AM

#3. "RE: Input of 2 possible business ideas"
In response to Reply # 0

I have to agree with Nancy,

The takeout idea will require commercial kitchen facilities. You cannot simply sell food that has been cooked in your own kitchen to people.

The party favour packages are interesting in that you can also sell these via mail order and to party stores.

I think this is a much better idea to implement.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

Holbunny1Mon May-07-07 08:59 AM

#4. "RE: Input of 2 possible business ideas"
In response to Reply # 3

Thank you Nancy and Tina! I think I will forge forward with the party packages. For all the reasons you both stated and more I have been leaning away from the restaurant idea. Continued success to you both!

Holly

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1129 Previous topic | Next topic