Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #112

Subject: "New Business" Previous topic | Next topic
vero35Thu Sep-14-06 05:39 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Business"

I want to start a business helping new mothers or mothers-to-be. It would be a combination of housekeeper/nanny.I remember leaving the hospital with my new baby and trying to run everything at once.I ended getting nothing done.I looked like a crazy woman who only lived to serve this little person.

I want to know where to start to be able to help those new mommies achieve that one to one time with baby without having to worry about the house chores or errands?

Also here is the name I came up with PreciousBundle. How does it sound? Help! Want to start by Jan 07 so far ($0)saved but have this idea in my head

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: New Business
Sep 07th 2006
Sep 08th 2006
Sep 09th 2006

theresavevansThu Sep-07-06 02:08 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: New Business"
In response to Reply # 0

I love the name and the idea. You may want to think about targeting high risk deliveries and becoming a provider for an agency such as Medicaid or a Community Health Center. I did that with a Community Health Center that assists the elderly. I work for myself and the worker at the agency refers clients to me that need my services. I did not need insurance, a license or any type of certification. Just the will to assist the elderly and filling out a short application. The clients use vouchers they get from the community center to pay me. Then I fill them out and turn them in to the social worker at the community center. She in turn sends them to their corporate office and then I wait for them to mail my check. Also doing some volunteer work doing what you want to do is a good way to break into your business and build up a reputation. Good luck.

freejerkyFri Sep-08-06 11:44 AM

#2. "RE: New Business"
In response to Reply # 0

I think it is a great idea. To market you could talk with labor classes that the women go to to prep for their births and either talk with the teachers and see if you can go to one of the meetings for a 5 minute introduction or see if you can have paperwork put into their packets they take home as well as leaving flyers for them. How about working out a deal with someone that does yard storks in your area to put information in the packet they leave behind (I am one of those yard stork people and I would do it as an exchange thing-- you put my card out and I would put yours)
Good luck to you!

Laura
We are all about families helping families!
http://www.jerky4free.com
No Selling - No Parties - Any Age

bizdevSat Sep-09-06 10:58 AM

#3. "RE: New Business"
In response to Reply # 0

I like the idea and it is certainly a necessary service. From what I undertand this is what a doula does too, but not on any longer term basis. I imagine your service would be great for at least the few months after the birth.

As for the name PreciousBundle...I would rethink it. It's cute, but it doesn't convey the essence of the service. Think more in line with new mom helper or something to with helping out the new mom.

Good luck!

Sylvia
http://businessplanmentor.com
Business plan and start up resources

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #112 Previous topic | Next topic