Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1119

Subject: "New Biz Idea - Need help finding my niche!" Previous topic | Next topic
tmaculate1Tue May-01-07 02:06 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"New Biz Idea - Need help finding my niche!"

I've been coming back and forth to this website for many years now and I must say that it is one of, if not, the most insightful sites available on the web for people with start-up ideas. A big thank you to everyone on here who takes the time to read every post and offer outstanding advice to those of us looking for a little guidance in entrepreneurialship (is that a word?).

Anyhow, I work as an IT Technician and I make a good income so I'm not looking to leave my 9-5 any time soon. I do a lot of graphical work on the side as a hobby, making logos, banners, and various other graphical images for random people I run into. I use imaging software such as Photoshop and Illustrator exclusively, while trying my hand at Flash and Dreamweaver.

I've never charged anyone for my work and since I keep getting more and more requests for projects, I feel that it is time for me to start my own little side biz in doing what I love.

OK, now that all of that is out of the way, here is my dilemma, if you will. I plan on purchasing a very nice (and pricey) digital camera within the next 2-3 weeks. Not only do I want to create logos and "special ocassion" images, I also want to use my photoshop skills to create different effects with high quality photos. Some photographers take pics of weddings, senior portraits, etc. but I want to have a service that can create great effects with pictures worthy enough for people to purchase photo sessions, etc. This link may better explain what type of effects I can do http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/17249347/?qo=67&q=beautiful&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5

My question is, do I advertise as a logo or photography service or both? Is there anything in between i can sell my services as? I need help finding my niche! Thanks for listening everyone.

Travis

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: New Biz Idea - Need help finding my niche!
May 02nd 2007
May 03rd 2007
May 03rd 2007
May 03rd 2007

PepperfireWed May-02-07 02:34 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: New Biz Idea - Need help finding my niche!"
In response to Reply # 0

Travis,

You've got a great niche on the dark side already and you have a bit of talent there. I assume though that the commercial work you are looking at is aimed at mainstream society.

Some thoughts...

One photo isn't going to cut it and the rest of the portfolio, you already know will put folks off. I'd start by putting some mainstream photos up where we can look at them and perhaps get more ideas.

Based on the work that you are doing, I don't see "logo", whereas I do see "branding"... if you comprehend the difference.

I assume that you took the photos as well as pshopped them, so, yes, I would certainly advertise your photoshop ability as well as your photography ability.

Some mainstream ideas:

New babies, family portraits, weddings... Pretty standard fare.

Out of the ordinary: Branded Corporate portraits, corporate print ads (especially), etc.

Show me some more of your mainstream stuff... maybe I can get more ideas.

You do great work, btw.

T

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

tmaculate1Thu May-03-07 06:09 AM

#2. "RE: New Biz Idea - Need help finding my niche!"
In response to Reply # 1

Hey Tina! Thanks for replying. I distinctly remember your name from years ago when I used to browse this forum. =)

Well, as far as showing you anything with photography, it's sort of out of the question right now because I have yet to purchase my camera. For now I have been using material I find on the web or that of which people have sent me.

I have a ton of logos, banners, and flyers that I have done for business and personal purposes of the clients but most of them are nested on my PC at home. I am currently using my work laptop which has some. in fact, I just pieced some of the ones I have together and uploaded it to my server so you can get an idea of what I do. Again, this is not my best work...just a few I have created within the past month or so.

here's the link www.basswoodlane.com/logoexamples.jpg

you know, the more i think about it, i can just do photo sessions and give the client a quote for customizations of the picture. i don't really want to do weddings and such, too much pressure to get that one good shot, ya know.

well, off to lunch now!

PepperfireThu May-03-07 08:22 AM

#3. "RE: New Biz Idea - Need help finding my niche!"
In response to Reply # 2

Hey, Travis!

Have I been hanging around here that long?

I come and go. it depends on whether or not I have a few minutes to run a note or not. The new subscription emails to the forums make it easier for me to add my 2 cents here and there. I like it. I don't get so much help as I used to, but I give back what I can. This place is a very useful place to be.

I looked at your link. Now those would be logos. Part of the problem of using other people's photos is copyright infringement and you don't want a customer getting sued because their logo includes someone else's photo.

Other than that, it looks cool.

Tina Brooks, VP Marketing
Brooks Pepperfire Foods, Inc.
Makers of Peppermaster Hot Sauces
http://www.peppermaster.com

Eat more peppers!

tmaculate1Thu May-03-07 08:48 AM

#4. "RE: New Biz Idea - Need help finding my niche!"
In response to Reply # 3

Ok wait, let me reiterate what i meant by using material i find on the web.

about 99% of the logos i create are from my own creation. the photos i sometimes grab are for the banners i make like the Alpha Rev one, in which case i took that wing picture from a random Google search i did for "white wings", as you can see on the left hand side of that banner. it was not copy written and if it was, i would have never bothered using it. i make it a point not to use other people's material but in this case it was just some random photo that will never generate a buzz for the purpose it's intended for. logos, however, need to be 100% authentic, and that it what i always aim for.

anyhow, thanks for looking and especially for the wonderful advice! i will keep you updated on how everything goes from this point on! take care.

Travis

Lobby Biz Ideas topic #1119 Previous topic | Next topic