Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Working at Home topic #333

Subject: "Do any of you sell or want to sell baked goods...." Previous topic | Next topic
pastrydreamsMon Apr-28-08 12:33 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Do any of you sell or want to sell baked goods...."

Well, if you do already sell baked goods maybe you can help me or if you are wanting to sell baked goods maybe we can help each other. First of all, let me just say that I love to bake. I'm never so happy as when I'm baking. Not to brag, but I know this is my talent. People are always telling me I need to open a bakery & that is what I want to do. I have worked real hard & finally saved up $20k. I would love to just quit my job right now & attempt to go ahead & open up but am not sure if this will be enough. Has anyone else opened a small bakery?? Is it doable w/$20k? If not, I will hang in there & save more. But if I do need to wait I want to, at the very least, start selling baked goods from home. Is this legal(I live in KY)?

And... Can anyone recommend I good place to get low priced bakery supplies? from the high price items (oven, refrigerators) to the ingredients (primarily- flour, sugar, milk, butter, oil) to packaging & labeling. I have a Hubert Restaurant supply catalog & it is very expensive. Surely there is a less expensive way. Is there a website you can recommend? E-bay? some secret that experienced bakers know?

Some ways I thought I could promote my baked goods by selling from home are:
1. Putting my baked goods in charity auctions- people would be able to get ordering info off the label
2. Word of mouth
3. Newspaper Ads
4. Checking around at local restaurants to see if any would agree to carry my products

I thought about going to some local bakeries & asking to volunteer in exchange for advice & training but had some people talk me out of that, saying it would be tacky & all.

Your thoughts, ideas, & friendship are valued & welcome with me.

Cure for the blues: Warm Rhubarb Pie a la mode.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Do any of you sell or want to sell baked goods....
May 11th 2008
May 12th 2008
Jun 04th 2008
Sep 21st 2010

Mai3akpSun May-11-08 05:03 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Do any of you sell or want to sell baked goods...."
In response to Reply # 0

You should check with your local health and sanitation department regarding selling baked good from your home. Here in Hawaii, you need to meet specific requirements as far as the type of equipments you are allowed to use and also how well your home should be ventilated to whether or not you should install a grease trap. My mom and I use to bake and sell the goods at a local craft fair and to close acquaintances. I know a lady that rents out a kitchen from a business owner then sells her baked goods from home; that's another way to avoid high priced renovations and purchases. Good luck and I hope you do well.

*mai

saltedMon May-12-08 10:02 AM

#2. "RE: Do any of you sell or want to sell baked goods...."
In response to Reply # 0
Mon May-12-08 10:03 AM by salted

I would recommend talking with another bakery and asking them the questions that you mentioned above. I used to walk to this bakery when I lived right accross the street from them. The managers/owners were super nice so I feel like they would be willing to talk with you about questions or concerns you may have about starting up your own bakery. Since this bakery is in VA, I don't think they would be worried either about giving advice to "competition". Anyways, if you're interested, their website is http://www.love2loaf.com/ . The one that I went to was the Burke Commons Road location.

Hope everything goes well with your new business venture!

Mindy Lepp
http://www.saltedwebsites.com/
$50 off your website if you mention Idea Cafe!!

pastrydreamsWed Jun-04-08 05:25 AM

#3. "RE: Do any of you sell or want to sell baked goods...."
In response to Reply # 2

Thank-You!! I will get in touch w/them. That was one thing I was having a hard time w/around here. I felt bad about asking a "competitor" for info.

Cure for the blues: Warm Rhubarb Pie a la mode.

HomeBaking2010Tue Sep-21-10 03:01 PM

#4. "RE: Do any of you sell or want to sell baked goods...."
In response to Reply # 0

The laws surrounding home-based baking "cottage food laws" are changing everyday. In fact the state of Michigan just passed a cottage food law to allow the production of non-hazardous foods. Please visit http://homebasedbaking.com and chat with the staff, they can help get you started. Good luck!

D. Denay Davis
HomeBasedBaking.com
http://homebasedbaking.com

Lobby Working at Home topic #333 Previous topic | Next topic