Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Comfort Food topic #98

Subject: "Some inspiration" Previous topic | Next topic
findingdetailsTue Jul-31-07 06:22 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Some inspiration"
Tue Jul-31-07 06:30 AM by findingdetails

Hello, I have posted on a few different occasions on this site. I am still wanting to move forward with my business. I think and rethink my ideas, until I beat them to death and overthink them.

I live in a smaller rural community, I hate, and I mean hate my current job for a number of reasons
1. It does not challenge me
2. It is a fairly newly created position that is STILL not up and running to where it is expected to go, with many limitations still on the horizons, I am sitting in an office bored out of my mind daily.
3. I make a paultry salary. In fact I am making less now than I have in the past 6 years. However, my last employer was horrendous, and when this opportunity arouse I jumped on it in order to get out of really bad work environment (Let me give an example, my boss was a micromanager who boardered on what I and many believe to be unethical practices, in addition, the turnover rate was excessive, I had the most seniority in the offices after only one year of employment, and the treat of employees by the owner of the business could be explained as being in an abusive relationship, to this day my previous boss still has NO IDEA why she cannot keep good employees). So given the alternative, taking this job was a good choice in comparision to staying where I was. But I have inquired on several occassions about my evaluation and any potential raises, to no avail. I was told given my experience I would be paid above what they normal start employee's out at, only to find out a couple weeks later that I was only making 41 cents more than someone with absolutely NO EXPERIENCE.
4. By working here I am getting further and further in debt, I cannot even make my monthly payments and have enough money to buy groceries for my family, so I have to choose.

I want so badly to start my own business because I feel that I have nothing to lose at this time. But I am afraid to take that plunge for a few reasons..........
1. My spouse is self employed (wood & logging biz) and we aren't quite to the point that we can rely on that a sole income given it is still a newer business without a lot of extra income left over after expenses, not enought to maintain the household and business expenses by itself.
2. I have 3 young children at home, so when I am not working they demand my attention. To be gone from home at my current job and on the road for 50 hours a week then to go home and work on my own business 20-30 hours a week would not be fair to them.
3. Obviously, as you can tell the economy in my area is not all that well. The job market is nill, for each advertised job there are well over 100 applicants (qualified or not) applying for the job, and considering this is a smaller rural community that is a lot of people looking for employment.
If I decide to do this I want to jump in head first in order to make it go. But with limited income to start my business, and given the present economy in my area I am afraid I will fail and be unable to support my family. I question my skills and abilities as to what skills that I have that are in fact marketable in an area such as the one where I live.

I have a variety of office and management experience and I enjoy the HR aspect very much. I have even considered focusing on reviewing, prescreening, and doing reference checks on applicants to narrow downt the search for area employers in order to free up their valuable time. I do not have a degree however in this area but I would like to pursue starting my business as a Business Support Service for small business and entrepreneurs. I feel the investment would be minimal to start but I question if this area would be receptive to my business idea. In addition, I had considered a gift basket business, so I had thought I could incorporate errand running and personalized gift shopping and/or creation for area business as a marketing or recognition tool for their employees, clients, etc.

Any ideas, input, or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. I need inspiration, moving to a different locale is not an option right now, and finances are tight. Any additional motivation would be welcome.

Thank you in advance,
Tam

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
RE: Some inspiration
Jul 31st 2007
Aug 05th 2007
Sep 21st 2007
Feb 20th 2008
Feb 20th 2008
Mar 10th 2008
Mar 12th 2008
Apr 09th 2008
Apr 10th 2008
Apr 19th 2008
Feb 27th 2010

fishrangTue Jul-31-07 02:07 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 0

Have you thought of, or considered starting an online business? Such as something in internet marketing? An online business would give you more freedom to be with your kids.

Just a suggestion.
If you have any questions , email me. I will be glad to help any way I can.

fishrang
www.halfmoonsales.com
sales@halfmoonsales.com

jinxmdSun Aug-05-07 12:32 PM

#2. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 0

Check this out.
http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/frontpage.jsp?r=jinxmd

Here's the world's quickest way to test your IQ. In fact, there's only one question!

Let's say you knew of a FREE website that gives you cash back at popular retailers like eBay, Target, Old Navy and Gap, just for clicking a link.

Now, let's say that same website also pays you when people you refer shop at those same popular retailers--FOREVER.

Finally, let's say there was no catch, no spam, no credit card information required, no cost. You just click and earn.

Now, the question:

Would you join?

If your answer is yes, congratulations! You are among those with the highest IQs online! Just click below to join them in earning cash now!

If your answer is no...well, let's just say that it may not be safe for you to go outside without a helmet!

http://www.bigcrumbs.com/crumbs/frontpage.jsp?r=jinxmd

jaxmeierFri Sep-21-07 04:09 PM

#3. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 0

Tam,

You are not alone. I lost my position at a software development company a week before 9/11. I jumped on a job, and the guy couldn't pay me consistently. Over 4 years, he owed me at least 40k, and screwed my taxes up in the meantime. Needless to say, I took his company from him last year.

I recently started an online business as well. While I can't stand Donald Trump, he is right about one thing. You need to have about 10 ideas going at once in order to succeed since 9 will fall to the ground.

The bottom line is this. First, necessity is the mother of invention. You need to reinvent yourself. I have reinvented myself several times over between sales, consulting, business ownership, and software development. I call it socio-economic Darwinism, but it works.

Keeping that in mind, do what you love. Look around, and you will find something that you excel at, and that you can use to make money. It may not make you rich, but you will be happy. Believe me, this is more important.

While I can't help you find the golden nugget, I hope this post will at least point you in the right direction.

Bruce

Save time, save gas, save money, share errands at http://www.sherrands.com

ScampbellyWed Feb-20-08 04:15 AM

#4. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Tam,

I'm just now reading your two posts in which you indicate that you need some inspiration re moving forward in a new business. Please don't take this wrong, but as I read your post, what first comes to mind is that you have to adjust your thinking. First, purpose in your mind that you are going to find the positives in your current situation. Because when we are in a bad situation and we highlight the negatives, most of our energy is absorded and there is no room for the positive ideas to flow.

It seems like you have a good grasp on the things that you are good at. Don't over anticipate if people are going to receive your business. Both of the ideas that you mentioned are already successful business ideas that people are doing. So go for it!

Sheila

findingdetailsWed Feb-20-08 09:49 AM

#5. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 4

>Hi Tam,
>
>I'm just now reading your two posts in which you indicate that
>you need some inspiration re moving forward in a new business.
>Please don't take this wrong, but as I read your post, what
>first comes to mind is that you have to adjust your thinking.
>First, purpose in your mind that you are going to find the
>positives in your current situation. Because when we are in a
>bad situation and we highlight the negatives, most of our
>energy is absorded and there is no room for the positive ideas
>to flow.
>
>It seems like you have a good grasp on the things that you are
>good at. Don't over anticipate if people are going to receive
>your business. Both of the ideas that you mentioned are
>already successful business ideas that people are doing. So go
>for it!
>
>Sheila

Sheila,

Thank you for your feedback, I went back and reread my post and I think you are right. Without even realizing it I have been focusing on what I so desperately want to change as opposed to how to go about making the change, thus stalling myself out. I feel as though I am paralyzed by the fear of failing and with the economy like it is I would really like to be able to just get my feet wet without leaving the security of my current job because finding another one would be very difficult. That is the reality of the situation. I think that going the route of hr related duties may be the way to go because I can complete work in the evenings and on weekends, whereas if I attempt errand services and I work elsewhere my availablitiy would be limited. Any other ideas, please toss em at me, I am open to exploration here!

spartanMon Mar-10-08 05:44 PM

#6. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 0

If you question whether your area would be receptive to your new ideas, then it seems that is what it all comes down to. You can either go out there and test it out or let your instinct guide you.
I don't know all the specifics of your area and the situation, but I wonder if you might just waist a lot of time, energy and some money to "test" all of this. But, if you have a burning desire to do it, then go for it.
I think you could probably risk a lot less time and money by doing something online...and have more time to spend with your kids. The potential in the long-run is probably better...but that's just my opinion. Good Luck

Carl
http://www.997makemoneynow.com/pages/579.htm

JasonWed Mar-12-08 05:40 AM

#7. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 0

I would love to find a support site for small biz. thats why I'm on this one. Not only do I need advice and ideas, but what I really would pay for is some one to do alot of the reserch w/me (Biz.lic.,best ins.advertiseing,etc.) just a one stop shop for reserch support. Me and my wife put lot's and lot's time reserching what kind of lic. we needed and still not sure we chose corectly we have been trying to find just the advertisement for us and are spending alot of money we don't have yet. I bet if we payed even half of what we are willing to spend on finding the right ad. it would be worth it for someone to find it for us. As far as starting a bussiness w/ three children and a spouse who works very hard and can only support so much. Welcome to my world. I have three young girls and my wife works harder at getting someone else rich than any one I know. When you want to start your own biz. it's not so you can work less but work on your own terms. And when it comes to family that already has someone working to death you don't have a choice do you? It's hard work and sometimes we don't get paid alot but one of us is always there for the kid's and each other. and thats the best salary there is. Some big advice I wish someone would have given me. (not that I would have taken it in the start.) don't DON'T start a bussiness w/ family or friends as partners. It's ok. for them to work with you or for you but that 50/50 stuff will cost you alot of money and time. Don't be afraid to get started. just do it and when you do...DO IT. we lost and gained and lost and gained. It's somethig to laugh about later. I think if you got the idea and the will their will be someone willing to pay for that alone. I see a big lack of that today.
Well good luck.

iwsWed Apr-09-08 05:07 PM

#8. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 0

Well Tam the first thing I will say, is at least you have ideas about what you could do. Many have no clue. Living in a small town does have it's limitations from a "job" perspective but by focus on the things you like and are good at I'm sure you can find your spot.

Pick the thing that you feel will be best received in your area and give it a shot. If it doesn't work out, cross it off the list and move to the next. Easy to say (not always easy to do) but do something now. Make your plan and get started. You can adjust as you go.

I know these are not "specific" things like "turn on the switch" but maybe they will turn on your thoughts to get you started in the right direction.

I hope this helps and that you receive your success.

Ocha

http://www.potpourriemporium.com
http://www.infoesource.com
http://www.infoworthsharing.com

onerockinnurseThu Apr-10-08 06:35 AM

#9. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 0

Good Morning Tam!

I agree that it can be very overwhelming when trying to decide which way to go when starting your own business. My husband is self-employed in our dairy businesses, we have 2 currenlty and let me say that like your husband it is very hard to take time off period for like years and years until you are actually able to get that business up and running.

There are alot of expenses and legalities involved when starting your own business from scratch which I learned quickly from our dairy business and knew that whatever business I would eventually start would not be one from scratch. I wanted something that people not only needed but were actually searching for. Plus a company that had at least 10 years in business and not a "starter company".

Choose wisely is all that I can offer you in the for of advice because when you do become 'self-employed' and working from home with that freedome there is always going to be some type of expense for that as there really are no "JOBS" from home like so many advertise out there on the internet today. What you will find as you know is Business Opportunities..

You'll know when you find the right fit just like we all have, and trust your gut instinct God put it there for a reason... I finally settled on my work at home company 8 months ago and haven't looked back once..It took years and years of trying and loosing money in stuff that didn't work.

Keep your head up and remember why your doing this: For your Family and to give them and yourself the Freedom we all deserve.

God Bless, jana

Jana Enos,Ameriplan®
Senior Regional Sales Director & Trainer
www.LOVE2SMILE.net
www.Telecommute2008.com

HelpMeITSat Apr-19-08 09:37 PM

#10. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 9

Here is a good Article at MSN Money. Might give you a good idea to make some extra bucks.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SavingandDebt/SaveMoney/20WaysToMake100DollarsMoreAMonth.aspx

www.HelpMeIT.com

Wealth24Sat Feb-27-10 07:20 AM

#11. "RE: Some inspiration"
In response to Reply # 0

Vilmarie Budde

Start by writng your experience and knowledge and then look at the business you would like to start and see which has the experience and knowledge you have and see what you need to know like for gift basket all it takes is creation,ideas etc.

Lobby Comfort Food topic #98 Previous topic | Next topic