Business Owners Idea Cafe: Small Business Information, Resources & Tips
! Small business ideas, information & resources !
Small Business Tax Center
Small Business Ideas, Grants &
Plans to Start & Run a Business:

Small Business Grants
Small Business Ideas People in Biz - Profiles
Business Advice from Idea Cafe Experts Coffee Talk with Experts
Starting A Business
Running your Business
Take Out Info
Trade Publications FREE Trade Publications
Your Own Business
Destress
About Idea Cafe
Press Idea Cafe has received Idea Cafe in the News
Idea Cafe's Kudos Kudos for Idea Cafe
Advertise on Idea Cafe Advertise on Idea Cafe
Privacy Policy Privacy Policy
Contact Idea Cafe Contact Idea Cafe
Link to Idea Cafe Link to/from Idea Cafe
Join Idea Cafe
Site Directory
Site Directory Site Map

Online directory to business resources Biz Web Guide
Printer-friendly copy
Lobby Comfort Food topic #65

Subject: "Errrand Service" Previous topic | Next topic
simplerrandsMon Jan-22-07 06:41 AM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"Errrand Service"

This is my 3rd attempt at an errand service in a span of say 5 years. I'm now looking for part time/temp work because the bills are well you can imagine.
How does a person know when to give up and throw in the towel? Would any suggest I maybe do a survey outside of store's and see if this is even something people want? I need some suggestion's here. My target market are working Mom's/Dad's. My best customer's are the retired folk that don't drive or are unable to get out much.
Anything at this point would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Louis

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Lobby

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
You gotta break the ice, somehow
Jan 22nd 2007
RE: Errrand Service
Jan 23rd 2007
Jan 23rd 2007
Jan 24th 2007
Jan 23rd 2007

AlbanybizwriterMon Jan-22-07 12:28 PM

Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "You gotta break the ice, somehow"
In response to Reply # 0

Louis:

In theory, an errand service is a great idea, assuming three things: that you're making yourself known to people who would be interested in the service; that your prices are reasonable; and that you're projecting an image of honesty, reliability, and trustworthiness.

The reason that personal networking and establishing a stellar reputation are so important is that people are often reluctant to do business with someone they don't know or trust -- especially if you're going to come to their house. Elderly people may be even more cautious, and rightfully so.

However, if you can get your existing contacts to either give you referrals of people that they know(names/phone numbers), so that you can say somthing to the effect of 'Our mutual friend John Smith thought that you might be interested in my personal errand service and suggested I give you a call'...OR if you can get people you know to pass out coupons or your business cards to their friends, acquaintances, coworkers, and relatives... THEN it would be much easier to break the ice and attract new customers.

When should you give up, you ask? Some people would say never, assuming it's a good idea and there's a market for your service. Others would say there's no sense in repeatedly setting yourself up for failure if you're pursuing something that's either not the right business for you, or for which there's not a profitable enough market.

Seems like if you acquire a handful of customers and you provide them with spectacular, friendly, and reliable service, then word of mouth would take over from there. Then again, that might be an oversimplification.

Best of luck and keep the faith!

AlbanyBizWriter
http://www.MarketingSurvivalKit.com
http://www.VintagePosterPrints.com/motivational-poster
http://www.upstateannouncements.com/business-ideas

lisasgourmetTue Jan-23-07 03:56 AM

#2. "RE: Errrand Service"
In response to Reply # 0

If your target market is working moms/dads ---- but your customers are retired people ----- sounds like your market is a bit off.

A business idea rarely stays the exact same way as you intended it to be. THings change and evolve.

Now, if you are serious about hitting the initial target market --- that's who you have to market to. Get testimonials from your existing customers and include it in literature to be mailed, handed out, etc.

Are you involved in any community activities? Are you involved with your local chamber of commerce?

Are you available during the time that moms & dads aren't?? Also, are you insured? People get a little testy when it comes to other people coming into their house, apartmetn, etc. when not home.

Think about what it is that you want to really do with this business. Then, write it out. The follow it.

Any business can be successful --- as long as there is a realistic plan in place followed by honest execution. Talk to the local SBDC and they can help you get your idea and plan into action. They should also have a library of books, etc. that talk about an errand service you could look through and get ideas, etc.

Good Luck! Don't give up unless you find that this isn't what you want to do. Have a great week!

Lisa

http://www.allthingscheesecake.com

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

simplerrandsTue Jan-23-07 07:27 AM

#3. "RE: Errrand Service"
In response to Reply # 0

Thank you all for yor great insight and suggestion
My senior's happend almost by accident I have a dear friend that live's in a retirment park - that was word of mouth free advertising. I have business cards handed out by friend at work, I don't belong to the chamber though I'll be looking into that.
I carry fliers with me listing the types of errands I do. I wear a button that say's "DEED'S DONE". When someone asks or just looks puzzled I had them a flier and talk with them. Maybe, I should ask for their phone number to call them back in a few days or something?
Again thank you for the input.
Louise

lisasgourmetWed Jan-24-07 03:44 AM

#5. "RE: Errrand Service"
In response to Reply # 3

Louise:

YES YES YES! Always ask for their phone number and/or email address! Do this EVERYWHERE you go! Even if they say no, not right now, you can still call them back in a month or so and see if their situation has changed.

Plus, you can always ask if they have a friend or loved one who could benefit from your services!

Good Luck!

Lisa

http://www.allthingscheesecake.com

Save the Earth! It's the only planet with cheesecake!

iwsTue Jan-23-07 03:55 PM

#4. "RE: Errrand Service"
In response to Reply # 0

It's always a good idea to find out if there is a market for your service first. If people don't want it, then don't waste your time. Remember, when you go fishing, you go where the fish are.

Ocha

http://www.potpourriemporium.com
http://www.infoesource.com
Blog:
http://www.potpourriemporium.blogspot.com

Lobby Comfort Food topic #65 Previous topic | Next topic